• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Member - 236 pounds lost thus far and counting

Hi,

My name is Renee,

I am 3 years, 6 months and 11 days post op. I have lost over 236 pounds so far. I just recently had part of my reconstructive surgery completed. (back life with buttock augmentation, abdominoplasty, and panniculectomy. I am excited to be part of this group. Since my journey, I have gone back to school and I am double majoring in Exercise Physiology/Sports Medicine and Dietetics. I am also taking my PA (Physician Assistant) pre-reqs for PA school to start next Fall. Without this opportunity I would not have had been able to complete this journey. I am truly blessed.

Hi Renee, welcome to the forum. WOW, 236 pounds GONE-congratulations!!! Looks like we are neighbors, I’m in Redford Township. My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 27th. Make sure to visit the forum often so you can share your journey with us newbie’s. There are so many fantastic people here you aren't going to believe it.

It is so wonderful to see success. I understand your fascination with the PA schooling. I am a retired ER nurse RN ,EMPT,ACLS,----Ialso workedd for 5 years in amximum facility prison,addictions counselor at charter in the 90's. so if there is any thing I can help with let me know. I still get the rush every time I hear the sirens.

Hi Pat,

Where are you having your surgery. Congratulations and welcome to the Losers side. This has been an amazing journey thus far. I am so very excited for you. This is the best decision I have ever made.

Renee-My surgery will be at St. John Oakland in Madison Heights. They are geared up for bariatric patients so my stay should be comfortable. My concern at this point in time is the post surgical pain. I am a coward when it comes to this type of pain and have been stressing over it for the last week or so. I have only read 1 or 2 comments on this forum that referred to extreme pain and / or severe complications so maybe it won’t be that bad. I just don’t want to end up with the type of pain that makes it impossible to get in and out of bed or stops me from walking to the bathroom. I’m no stranger to surgical pain. Because I already use a high dose of narcotic pain meds for a bad hip and back I need to be given more than a “normal” amount in order to be comfortable after surgery. Anyway, I’m going on and on about this when I should be counting my blessings that my time for a “new and improved me” is just around the corner.

Hi Renee Welcome. I am Tom, Your are doing great! Your another inspiration for me. I am still working on my last 25 lbs but I have increased my work outs since the begining of the new year and I am between 190 and 195 so I am not to worried been a long time since I was below 200. Keep up the good work.:D

Pat, You will do fine, you have done a lot of good and hard work to get where your at. The pain for me wasn't bad at all, I also had the RnY, it only hurt when I sneezed or laughed, and my grandkids thought it was funny, so they would try and make me laugh. The next 30 days will go by fast. Stay positive.

Tom:cool:

Thank you everyone for the well wishes and all the kudos. I feel so cared for.

Pat,

Don't be stressed. I am not sure how that facility works, but in general I found and have found in all of my bari patients that I work with that the pain is the worst in the first 48 hours which is where the PCA pump comes into play. It lets you give yourself pain meds every 10 minutes. There are many who request Norco in between to help regulate the pain. With the narcs comes the bowl issues, which you are probably already aware of. The more you get up and walk, the less pain you will have. Three main things to remember post op, walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip, and when able, chew, chew, chew. I was doing housework by my 4th day post op and by my two week appointment I had already gone back to work (desk job) and was cleared for full exercise.

Many blessings and prayers to you,

Renee

Tom,

Thank you for your kind words. You will get those 25 pounds. As you have increased your workouts, have you also increased your caloric intake and your protein intake? If now, you could plateau. Also, the pounds may not always move but the inches will. Keep all that into perspective. Sounds like you are on the right track. Congrats in getting to onderland. It is an awesome feeling. Keep up the great work and take it one day at a time.

Thank you so much for your offering up of your assistance. I am so excited on the journey that I am in. I have much respect for nurses. They are the backbone to every facility. I just want to pay it forward and help others.

Thanks Renee, I appreciate the feedback. I'm familiar with Norco. It's one of the pain meds I use as needed for breakthrough pain. Sometimes I have to take it at the same time as the oxy contin because my hip pain can be extremely bad depending on my activity level. The hip has degenerated so much I can not go to physical therapy and need to keep my activity level low. When I take the 2 meds together it usually puts me to sleep for an hour or 2. Once I lose enough weight to have hip replacement surgery I'm hoping to get weaned off of all narcotic meds. Although I have been on them for many years I do not abuse the dosage requirements even when I do not get enough pain relief. From what I hear I'm one of the lucky ones in that respect.

Back