• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Member: Registered Nurse, Sports Nutrition Rep, former Athletic/Personal Trainer

DamonRN

Hello, My name is Damon. I was referred to this site from a friend who I also work with, Ashly Schaffer, also a bariatric patient herself. I am a registered nurse specializing in cardiology. I am currently considering post graduate studies as an adult nurse practitioner specializing in metabolic/bariatric surgery. My interest grew after attending/working this years American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery conference & expo in San Diego, CA. I met very amazing people from surgeons, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered dieticians, bariatric industry people and all of the wonderful bariatric patient's and their stories! So first and foremost I am here to learn from all of you as patient's.

I also work with a sports performance nutrition company as a health care consultant/product rep. ALR Industries has formulated a one of a kind protein supplement Humapro initially for nephrology (kidney) patients. The owner & his friend were suffering from this disease. They are the health care population with the most difficulty in processing/utilizing proteins. Up to 40% of what you do not utilize can convert to sugar. Humapro does not convert to sugar. Excellent for diabetics. Most will be waste that the kidneys which are already taxed in kidney patients must disposed of. And most dairy/whey products will cause some GI (stomach/intestinal) upset, gas, bloating. So Humapro also works very well with bariatrics for the same reason, pre-digested, no dairy, no gluten, maximum/optimal protein utilization.

My background in sports medicine, athletic & personal training may be of use as a resource on this site as well if anyone has any questions regarding the exercise aspect of weight loss. You should always consult your physician before embarking on any exercise program. And always refer to your dietician for bariatric diet guidelines. But I am here to assist and have ideas there as well.

I look forward to learning from people here, sharing what I know and being of any assistance. Everyone have a blessed weekend!

DamonRN-Welcome to the forum, your input will be greatly appreciated. You may want to correspond with AB-James from this forum to see if he is interested in offering Humapro in this sites Bariatric Store. Maybe you can post the complete nutritional information so we can all have a look at it :) :) :) There is a forum already started for new "foods" which would be the best place to post it. I can't remember the name of it but if you looks at the forum titles I'm sure you will find it.

Welcome, Damon. You will be a great addition to the Forum, People always have questions regarding exercise and fitness especially when the are having mobility problems and need ideas on stationary work outs until they can start getting around better. I hope Ab allows you to post you protien shake in the "food" section on the forum, I do believe I have heard of the Humapro but I have not seen it where I get my protien powders. I look forward to reading your advice. :cool: Tom

DamonRN-Welcome to the forum, your input will be greatly appreciated. You may want to correspond with AB-James from this forum to see if he is interested in offering Humapro in this sites Bariatric Store. Maybe you can post the complete nutritional information so we can all have a look at it :) :) :) There is a forum already started for new "foods" which would be the best place to post it. I can't remember the name of it but if you looks at the forum titles I'm sure you will find it.

Thank you for the warm welcome Pat99. I greatly appreciate it. I have been a cardiac nurse for 8 years but after working with bariatric patients I have a new love in nursing! I will follow up with AB-James and find the "foods" section of the forum in order to post the nutrition value of Humapro. We have recently redesigned our Humapro web site with the bariatric patient in mind. Please feel free to take a peak at humapro.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the warm welcome as well TwoMas. ALR Industries has recently redesigned the Humapro web site now more geared toward the bariatric patient and where it not only has Humapro nutrition information and studies supporting it's efficacy but I do believe you can now order from there. Humapro for medical applications has a nice clean white medical label. But Humapro can also be found with the fitness label at Vitamin Shoppe retailers nationswide, some small mom & pops vitamin stores here and there but many online sources via Amazon.com

Thanks again and check out humapro.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Damon, welcome aboard. I think you're here for me :D since I was just wondering about when I should get started going to the gym. I had my gastric bypass three weeks ago, and I already got back to work less than a week after it because it was first week of the semester, and I couldn't miss it.
Now I feel quite good, have lost about 35 pounds so far, and I'm really eager to start working out. Nothing big since I have arthritis in my left knee. So any suggestions from our new exercise expert here?
Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Hello lili,

As far as getting started with an exercise program post gastric bypass you should consult with your surgeon and review any current limitations or restrictions. Then I can give you more specific exercise information.

If you have full clearance keep in mind that you always want to limit impact & joint stress. So I never suggest running for example. Not that one cannot build up to that. I have some bariatric patients who do crossfit. Something that is very dynamic, focuses on muscular strength, power & endurance combined and is about continous movement through a series of several exercises. You will be instructed on the basics at a crossfit facility and progressed at your pace.

Initially I suggest water exercise in a pool, low impact cardio like an elliptical and light free weights and machine focusing on upper body one day lower body the next then one day off. Such as Mon/Tue, off Wed and go for a walk, Thu/Fri, off Sat except for a walk or pool work, totally take exercise off on Sun except for family activities.

Remember that you need to fuel the body pre-workout and post is essential for recovery!

Wow! That was very good and detailed, Damon. Thank you so much. I'll share this with my surgeon when I see her in two weeks and will see what her feedback will be.

My surgeon said I can start with walking on the treadmill, which is my favorite thing to do in the gym anyway. I've never been a gym person obviously, so it will take me a while to get used to developing the routine of going to the gym and trying other things there.

Any preference for the time of the day to go to the gym? early morning? late in the afternoon?

I'm just back from the gym :)
Walked 1.15 miles on the treadmill for 26 minutes, at 2.9 mph speed and burned about 90 cal. Is that ok?

DAMON-I had my 6 month follow up with the surgeon yesterday (1 month late). He said I have a 6 month window left before my weight loss slows way down due to the typical metabolism decrease that follows WLS. I use a wheelchair outside of my house and a walker / cane combination inside of the house. I need a total hip replacement and can not go for walks or do much more than stretching with bands and some light pool exercising. I need a lift to get in and out of the pool and I am very fearful about slipping and falling while getting into and out of the lift. The pool exercises I attend are for people with MS because the one offered for arthritis is way too difficult for my pain level. I can not even stand upright in the pool without the aid of a cane because of the pain it causes in my hip joint when any pressure is applied in an upright position.
I need to drop a whole lot of weight in the next 6 months if I want to reach my goal in my lifetime. Any suggestions on exercises? I used to love going for walks. I never missed PT in the past because I enjoyed it. Heck, I was an athelete in high school excelling and earning a letter in tennis and also enjoyed swimming and basketball. I know I need to have this hip surgery done and believe I have reached a weight where the surgeon will agree to do the surgery. It could be months before he can fit me in and all of the pre-op testing is done. What can I do in the meantime???

Darling Lili,

Ok? OKAY? More than okay, that's an outstanding beginning!!!

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the calories burned that the monitor shows. That little monitor doesn't take into account your metabolism, your muscle to fat ratio, etc. It is kinda fun to watch, though, if only for grins and giggles.

I especially like Damon's comments regarding low impact. And walking on a high-quality treadmill certainly will take care of that.

Consistency is key. Can you do this three times per week? If you miss your day, DON'T panic. Just go the following day.

Congratulations!

Qaterra,

Thanks for the wonderful support.

Actually my son told me about the age and weight thing on the treadmill. I told you am not a gym person by any means. I tried entering my weight and age yesterday, and amazingly the number of calories burnt almost doubled! yaaay!

I went to the gym for three days in row to start developing the habit of just going and walking. I felt wonderful after each time. Today I have a very busy schedule but most probably I'll go in the evening, or worst case scenario tomorrow morning.

Darling Lili,

Look what you did. Look. What. You. Did! Three days in a row? You're moving now, aren't you?! Thanks to your son who provided additional motivation with his information on the treadmill monitor.

You say you felt wonderful. Well, I should hope so!

I hope you make the gym again tonight. Just because, as you said, it will help develop a habit. It's said it takes a minimum of 17 instances (days, visits, whatever) to develop a new habit; twice that to break an old one.

You're definitely moving in the right direction. See? You knew you could do this all along. You just needed to remind yourself.

Hey, Damon,

Welcome. I hope you get lots and lots of questions!

I have one for you.

Whey isolate seems to be the gold standard for protein supplements. I just had a 100% egg white supplement product shake, with water only. I mixed it with ice cubes in a blender, as I do most of my shakes. It foamed the least of any product I've tried yet. (Good for smaller tummies.) And had a very "clean" (I know of no other way to describe it) taste and mouth feel.

So, my question to you is: what is your opinion on protein sources for supplementation?

Thanks.

Back