• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New patient evaluation was yesterday!

Dejavu108

Yesterday i went for my first evaluation. I had to fast all day all for them to suck 10 vials of blood from me! I then met with my psychologist, she was super nice and made me feel very comfortable. After the hour of questions she cleared me and then i met with my dietician. She also was incredibly nice and asked me a bunch of questions, she too cleared me. I now wait for them to call me for an appointment with the surgeon, then i start a 8 week support pre surgical group and then surgery time! But now im in the fence between RNY and the sleeve.....i originally wanted the sleeve but thought my insurance didnt cover it, and it does. The simplicity of the sleeve appeals to me.....i guess ill wait to meet with my surgeon for my final decision.

Congratulations, one step closer to your WLS. Quite a journey you have begun! Your surgeon is the one to tell you what he feels would be best for you and why. But, if you are leaning toward the sleeve make him/her aware of that and why. They very often listen to you or at least explain why their decision might be different. Will you have to do an EGD, sleep study, or cardiac workup? or is all your testing done? Good luck.

I didn't tell my surgeon I wanted the sleeve (trying to keep an open mind), but it was his recommendation, so it worked out.
Congratulations on moving closer to your goal. You will do great!

Dejavu-Congratulations on starting the journey to a healthier new you!!! The recovery time for the sleeve is shorter than the RNY because it is much less invasive. Since sleeve patients do not have the malabsorbtion issues thay RNY patients they do not need to take vitamins and other supplements for the rest of their lives. They also don't suffer from dumping syndrome. The weight loss between the 2 surgeries is close to the same. Considering all of this I would also choose the sleeve. The reason I didn't have the sleeve is because my insurance wouldn't cover it. Make sure to come back to the forum and let us know what you decided.

Thanks everyone! I do not need any other testing prior to surgery! I have no issues related to my weight and im 28 years old. They called me the "perfect candidate" fir WLS! Yay!

Hi Dejavu. Sounds like things are moving right along for you, that's Great:D! I like Karenina's idea wait until after the surgeon let's you know what he thinks you should have and the why's of it, then you can let him know what your druther are, who knows maybe he will tell you that in his opinion the sleeve would be best for you. In the end it will be your decision though so it needs to be a well informed decision. Let us know how it goes. :cool: Tom

DAJAVU108 What hospital are you going to and who is your surgeon? I too am being done in Boston, Dec 3 if all works out. My doc wanted to do a Sleeve but I told him of my reasearch on Sleeve and GERD which I have and we then decided on RNY. Sleeve sounds more preferable due to less foods are restricted and less time recovering. I just did not want my GERD to worsen. YOU will do fine, you are young and so heal fast and will back to work quickly.

Hi, Dejavu.

About the sleeve . . . Though there is no malabsorptive issue with the sleeve, sleeve patients still encounter some of the same deficiencies as rny patients due to the lack of volume of the new pouch. With such limited capacity, you simply cannot take in sufficient food and fiber quantities to keep you healthy, so you will supplement.

Sleeve patients need to take dietary supplements for life, just like rny patients. Depending upon the surgeon, you may be recommended a chewable multivitamin, chewable calcium citrate, vitamin D, and sublingual B-12. Many people also require iron supplements. And you may occasionally supplement your protein in order to maintain your 60-80g per day.

So, back to the drawing board! Although some here say rny is reversible, do yourself a favor and think of it as irreversible, as do most surgeons. And the sleeve is definitely not reversible; the pieces/parts are no longer there to put back together.

The final decision must be yours. It is you who will live with it. Whatever your surgeon suggests, be sure to ask lots of questions about why it is her/his choice.

I completely understand the appeal of the simplicity of the sleeve. Tough choice. You will make the best one for you.

Back