• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to Group

Hello All. My husband and I just received our surgery date on Friday after the required six months of meetings with the dietician. We felt like we had an early Christmas with finally seeing this date come to fruition. We both have had weight battles our entire life so it is comforting in knowing that we will be doing this together. He was at 289 at his highest weight, and is currently at about 228. I was at 250 at my highest and have managed to get down to 211.
I am very excited to have a support group literally at my fingertips, knowing that those of you who have walked this path or are currently walking down this path will be valuable source of information, comfort and insight.

I will be crossing the days off the calendar... Nice to meet you al

Congratulations on your surgery dates!!! My Pulmonary Evaluation is coming up on Nov 20th. My surgery they say will be around the end of December. I will be glad when I have it in writing!

Carol

That is so cool! A two fer. I have only seen this a couple of times. My Center did a Father and his daughter and they both appeared in the Bariatric Fashion Show. So inspiring! I think it is great that you will both be doing the surgery to get healthy together. Best of luck on your WLS journey.

Congrats and nice you are doing it together, same day? Who is going to visit and hold your hand when you wake up? LOL! I went to the medical school(PA school actually but held at the Med School) at Penn State in Hershey at the Medical Center. Love the area, where are you having your surgery at the Hershey Medical Center? GREAT place.
I am going to surgery Dec 3 so you are a week behind me. I just want it behind me, changing my life for the better but will never eat sugar, bread etc. again. Weird to think about it!
Best of luck for you and your husband and let us know how it is going!

Hi MrsBigDog, Welcome. Congratulations for you and your husband, how wonderful for you to be there for each other and know what each other is going through and feeling every step of the way. Let us know how you two are doing. :cool: Tom

Welcome aboard MrsBigDog (and MrBigDog)! You found the right place to come for information and support. Lots of helpful, nice people on their journey to be healthy and happy and wanting to share the experience with others. Best of luck to you and your hubby on this endeavor. Keep coming back here to let us know how you are doing. P.S. Great job on the pre-op weightloss you two!!!:)

Thank you everyone for your encouragement, and we will look forward to your wisdom as we take this journey. Yes we are doing the same day for surgery, so we truly will go through this together. My daughter will be at the hospital with us and make sure that we have a hand to hold when we wake up. We are not going to HMC - Penn State, we are using the Pinnacle Weight Loss Center in Harrisburg, which is a Center of Excellence, so we are in good hands.
We have cleaned out our pantry donating unneeded items to the local food bank and continue to prepare for our surgery. Looking forward to the next few weeks flying by!
Thanks everyone for the support and knowledge base! :)

WELCOME MRSBIGDOG6243 I think it's so cool that you and your husband are able to go through with this together.you'll be able to encourage each other and not have the issues of having different kinds of foods around because you'll both most likely eat the same foods.
This room has been a wonderful place to come to share to make friends and to see and read how others have dealth with the many issues of pre-op and post -op surgery etc.
Had mine 8 weeks ago, it definetly changes your life forever.
Please continue to come back and share your journey.
Donna

karen you said this surgery has definitely changed your life forever, care to share in what ways has it already changed your life so soon after surgery/ Love to hear all this stuff before I take the jump in 2 weeks.

Hello all - this is my first update since surgery on Monday. My husband and I are doing very well. We were discharged on Wednesday afternoon as planned, with very little pain and only using Tylenol as needed. We are both losing about two pounds a day right now and cannot wait for next weekend when we can add our soft foods into our diet, kind of miss chewing. I removed our Opsite today and all the sites look good. I am not napping like I was when we first came home and we even took a short jaunt to the grocery store today. So far so good!

Mrebigdog-So happy to hear you both are doing well. I have been thinking about the 2 of you the last couple of days so I'm glad you took the time to post an update. Starting on soft foods will be a milestone. Don't push yourselve's though. It took me at least twice as long as recommended to be able to jump to the next phase of the meal plan. I had such a hard time with some of the soft foods feeling like they were getting stuck in my esophagus that I had to take a tiny sip of something with each bite and again after I swallowed. Eggs gave me the worst problem. I was worried about this because we aren't supposed to drink 30 minutes before or after eating but the nutritionist said a tiny sip was OK and that a lot of people need to do this. It made the difference of being able to eat or not eat so I continued to do this. I'm over 9 months post surgery now and have been on regular food for a while but still find myself needing to sip fluid when I eat

Please keep us posted on your progress. It sounds like you 2 are doing GREAT!!!!!

Hi there & welcome I am a newbie here kinda. Been coming here about a month now. My surgery was Oct 22 I have lost 51&1/2 pounds. Wow I did lose some prior to my bypass so its easier. My name is Angie and your about to embark on and amazing journey. All good all worth it. Great that you and hubby both are doing this together. I waited as you did then I got that call. And it was in 2 weeks I kinda got excited , scared, happy and every feeling in the world. But day of surgery I was ready. Its has given me a new lease on life 7 week going on 8 and I feel wonderful. Ride a stationary bike. I live in Ohio to cold for me out there, Hope to buy a real bike and hit the trail in the Spring. Will enjoy hearing both your journeys and you can add me to your friends lists. Congrats.

Angie

Back