• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new to program

revjoe60

I had surgery bypass 12-15-2011 ive lost 94 lbs since mid july 2011 I use protein shakes in am but I don't know what to plan for lunch etc I usually have a 200 cal protein bar for lunch. is their a plan for 6 months out menus

Hi Revjoe, Welcome. What surgery did you have? I had the RnY and I have some sample meal plans that work good for 6 months out for my surgery but our meal plan is pretty open at the 6 month point to start eating what we can tolerate. But I too liked the protien bars just because I found it so much easier to eat and since i really had no appatite they were easy to eat, filled me up, were low calorie.

Your doing great, almost at the 100 lbs off point:D I think it took me about 9 or 10 months to get to that there, keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

RevJoe-Like Tom said at 6 months post surgery you should be able to eat anything within reason. Stick with low carb, low fat, low sugar, high protein choices and stay away from carbonated beverages and alcohol. Based on your urrent diet you may want to start out with softer food for a week then progress onto "whole" foods like rosted chicken, fish, lean beef, etc. If you experience stomach distress than stay on the soft foods longer and gradually work the "whole" foods into your diet. I find soups to be easy on my pouch and just recently added roasted chicken and Ostrim Jerkey as my proteins along with cottage cheese which I have been eating since week 2. Tuna and eggs are also excellent sources of protein :) :) :)

I am having surgery in November. I as still weighing the Gastric Bypass and the sleeve. I think the Gastric Bypass may be more tried and true. What do you think from your experience about why you chose the surgery you had.

I probably would have gone with the sleeve so I wouldn't have to take vitamins and supplements for the rest of my life. Plus, the sleeve is less invasive and has a quicker recovery time. My insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve so I had the RNY instead. I have no regrets :) :) :)

Hi JW, Welcome. I am happy with the RnY, the sleeve was not one of my options when I had the surgery but I feel would have made the same choice had it been an option. :cool: Tom

My story of the RNY gastric bypass surgery performed June 11,2012 in PVR, MX

Hi everyone, my name is Kelli and I had the RNY gastric bypass surgery on June 11, 2012 in Puerto Vallarta, MX...Yes, Mexico because I didn't have insurance and the price was so much cheaper but I paid the price...I went into surgery June 11th, the surgery was the laprascopic type but immediately into the surgery I had a leak when the Dr. started stapling me back up so they had to take out the staples and pretty much re-do the surgery all over again in the same day. I was in surgery for almost 8 hrs and was told I had yet another leak so the following day I had to have a laporatomy surgery performed in which they cut a 4-5 inch opening in my stomach to repair the leak...It was honestly hell and I didn't think it could get any worse but it did...After that surgery we thought everything was ok and I started the liquid diet but 2 days later while I was still in the MX hospital I all of a sudden felt like I was having a heart attack and was in the worst pain i've ever experienced, I thought I was dying! The next day the Doc came in to check me in which he unstapled 3 staples from the bottom of my incision and literally dug his finger inside my stomach and it was determined that I had yet another leak...this time another surgery was not an option and they said that it would hopefully heal on it's own within 6-8 wks but until then I would have to have a feeding tube so that I could still get nutrients...so, that same day I decided to have the feeding tube placed in because the very next day my fiance and I were leaving to go back home...which included leaving MX and flying to Phoenix, AZ with a 2 hr layover and then flying home to GA!!! I had the feeding tube placed in around 9:30pm that night and we left at 5:30 the following morning to go home...I absolutely could not stay in MX any longer, I had to get home...didn't know if I would survive it but I had to attempt to get myself home to the U.S.A.!!! It was an absolute nightmare in MX, they treated us very bad and took everything we had...and yes, there are some ppl who judge me and say I was stupid for having it done in MX but I was desperate, I was pushing close to 400 lbs and I've had major orthopedic surgeries and problems and had to get the weight off some how so I chose that route. My Sister in law had hers done there 5 yrs ago and everything went well, she referred 3 of her friends there that had no problems as well. I know that most of mine was probably caused by the Dr. and the way they do things there that are very unsanitary and unsafe but this also happens all the time in the States too so I want everyone who is looking to have or planning this surgery to look at the dark side as well as the good side!!! I am very very lucky to be alive, as soon as I made it home June 17,2012 I had to be rushed to the hospital by ambulance and it was found that I was over taken with infections and I had 8 abscess's and I was hospitalized for 19 days. I could not eat or drink anything for almost a month, I got nutrients and food by Iv's and feeding tube...it was PURE HELL!!! I am doing better now but I am still unable to do barely anything due to the wounds in my stomach and not being able to eat hardly anything at all. I have lost almost 70 pds to date and although I went through all of that I will not lie, I feel so much better already with 70 pds gone. I no longer have high blood pressure and no borderline diabetes...YAY!!! I just want everyone to understand the pros and cons of this surgery because NOT EVERYONE comes out of the surgery as planned, there are so many complications that can happen...the Dr. that I am seeing now in my hometown doesn't even perform the gastric bypass any longer because he said that it was just too risky but he took me on as a patient because I had already had it. Good luck to anyone and everyone who has had it or planning to have it!!!! It still is not easy, you have to fight this battle every single day and do a major lifestyle change!!!!

I am having surgery in November. I as still weighing the Gastric Bypass and the sleeve. I think the Gastric Bypass may be more tried and true. What do you think from your experience about why you chose the surgery you had.

Dear JWFields, What kind of feedback are you getting from your surgeon? Or is he/she letting you decide? I went with the sleeve because I liked the idea of keeping my digestive system intact. I will have to take vitamins for the rest of my life and stick to a meal plan similar to the RNY, and do the other things (chew slowly, no drinking with meals, etc) so post-op I think the 2 are similar. My surgeon recommended the sleeve because I take a fair amount of NSAIDS for arthritis and other pains, and apparently you can't take NSAIDS after bypass.
As I recall, they had to collect at least 6 years worth of data before insurance companies would pay for the sleeve, so they have been doing it for at least 8 years, maybe longer. So even though the bypass is the gold standard, the sleeve is not exactly "new". Let us know what you decide and good luck to you!

Kbaker-Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that you had such a bad time and wish you the very best for a continuing recovery and weight loss.

I am so glad you shared your journey on this forum so that anyone considering WLS in another country can make an informed decision. Don't beat yourself up over this, you did what you had to do. Please continue to come to the forum to let us know how you are doing and to help other's with your experience and weight loss.

Kelli,

I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that! Glad to hear, though, that you're on the mend, however, slowly. And Many Congratulations on your weight loss, even though the price was higher than anyone could have anticipated!

Thank you for telling us about your experiences.
Thank you, too, for pointing out you have family and friends who had rny surgery in Mexico, with excellent results.
And thank you, again, for pointing out that similar occurrences can happen stateside, as well.

I'm glad you've found your way here. It is a pretty friendly and supportive place. Keep on getting better, keep on losing weight (yay!), and keep us updated on your progress.

I had surgery bypass 12-15-2011 ive lost 94 lbs since mid july 2011 I use protein shakes in am but I don't know what to plan for lunch etc I usually have a 200 cal protein bar for lunch. is their a plan for 6 months out menus
Welcome, Revjoe. I'm glad you found your way here for support. Can you go back to your surgeon/wls team for this information? They might have lots of information for you.

Barring that, keep looking around the internet. There are many sites offering specific information on meal planning and specific foods, and the like. If you find a site you find particularly helpful, please come back and share it here!

Congratulations on your weight loss!!! I hope you are just tickled pink!

Back