• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new to site, first post

Cheri

hi, this is my first post, I had gastric sleeve surgery on 5-15-13 and while I am losing weight I find I have no appetite at all and have to force myself to drink my protein and eat what small amounts of food I am allowed right now, anyone else have this "problem" ? thanks

So, I'm thinking, this is a problem? Weight wise you are doing great! Count your blessings and look at it as a blessing. Congratulations on your weight loss. You are less than three months out of major surgery your body is getting used to its new plumbing. Stop worrying and relax, you sound perfectly fine.

cheers

hi, this is my first post, I had gastric sleeve surgery on 5-15-13 and while I am losing weight I find I have no appetite at all and have to force myself to drink my protein and eat what small amounts of food I am allowed right now, anyone else have this "problem" ? thanks
I had my surgery around the same time. I do get hungry, but I fill up quickly. I had to add my shakes back in so I could get the necessary protein. My biggest struggle now is getting in the water that I need. Also, I'm noticing that I'm not as sharp mentally as I used to be. I'm forgetting things and missing things. It's not bad but just something I noticed, I suspect it is due to the malnutrition.

I rarely feel hunger, but my body does tell me to eat something. I find forcing myself to eat or drink something every few hours really helps.

I had my surgery around the same time. I do get hungry, but I fill up quickly. I had to add my shakes back in so I could get the necessary protein. My biggest struggle now is getting in the water that I need. Also, I'm noticing that I'm not as sharp mentally as I used to be. I'm forgetting things and missing things. It's not bad but just something I noticed, I suspect it is due to the malnutrition.

I had some troubles mental sharpness after surgery; I think its do to the lower blood sugars. I doesn't seem to be a permanent condition. I try to measure my sharpness with games like spider, which I did before surgery, which slumped and now I back, to almost there.

Welcome to the board Cheri,

When you have the sleeve, the hunger sensors in your stomach are removed, so you won't feel hungry at first. This does come back in time. After my surgery I had to remind myself to eat every day and still do many days. Food no longer consumes me, I consume it to live. The first few months after surgery are so different, that everything seems important and strange, you will adapt to it.

Frank

:cool:

I'm 4 days post op have no hunger but can't tell when I'm full either. So I am just guessing how much I should eat and trying to error on the smaller side.

Back