• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to Site

Lynnell

Just wanted to say HI! I stumbled upon this site while on Facebook this morning and thought I would jump in with both feet by posting right away. I am not shy by nature but don't know where to begin with this forum stuff. I am having laproscopic gastric bypass surgery on 4/12/12 and I am very excited. I have lost 55 pounds pre surgery. Like everyone, dreading the pureed food stage. I am going to try using baby food instead of making my own as I don't know much about making pureed foods. Foods are for a different thread though and this is just a hello. I live in SE WI and have been a Yo Yo dieter all my life. I am doing this for me, am very committed and know that this is a tool not a magic trick to make me skinny. So I guess I am hoping I can connect with so focus who know that I am not being selfish and will offer some support. Good luck to those in the same situation together we will succeed.
Lynnell

LYNNELL-Hello and welcome to the forum. You are right on track knowing WLS is a tool, not a magic trick. You are in the right forum to both give and receive support. There are a lot of great people here who will try to help answer any questions you may have and listen when you need an ear.

As far as the pureed food stage, it's only for a week. I think baby food would not taste very good compared to what you could make yourself. All you need is a blender or small food processor (processor works better). Just take lean meats cut into small pieces and process them until the consistency of applesauce. Add a bit of broth or water to help process the food. You can use canned tuna, chicken or turkey if you don't want to cook. You can add a small amount of low fat mayo too. Process canned no sugar added fruits that have been drained and rinsed. Same with veggies. Some foods like cottage cheese can be mashed with a fork. Try instant potatoes with fat free gravy, no need to puree. It's not that much work and will taste far better than baby food. You will be past the pureed stage before you know it. Mine ended yesterday :)

Congratulations on the almost 20 pounds that you have already lost. Awesome. My pureed diet is very restrictive to begin with - no fruits or veggies for the first two weeks. Protein only. Puree only with fat free broth/gravy. Can do cottage cheese. No instant potatoes at all ever. Real strict 300-500 calories a day. But his program has gotten him an Award of Excellence so I guess I have to trust in him.

Hi Lynnell, You are doing great, your colorie intake is very low but it sounds like all I could tolerate my first month, I lived on protien shakes, cottage cheese and yougurt, it was good when I could eat ground beef, buffalo and tuma but i could only eat a little so I still depended on shakes. I could not bring myself to eat pureed food so those that can are braver than I. Keep up the good work you are doing great. :cool: Tom

Back