• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the site...just thought I'd say " HI "

I just had my surgery almost 2 weekes ago. It was nine months in the making:/ I'm doing good but I know I would like to find a support group that I can share and learn from. It would be nice to have people who have been through it and understand what I'm going through. I have a great support from my family but...it's not the same. Already I can tell that this is gonna be a mind game for me...does that make sense? I'm still on stage 2 liquid diet. I went back to work after a week and now I find that I'm hungry!!! 1 oz- 3 times a day is not cutting it :( The smell of food is getting to me!! I did talk with my nurse and she did say on Monday I can start stage 3 mushy foods. Then I can slowly move up to 3 oz - 3 times a day...Thank God!!! I know this sounds bad but I need to be honest. I feel like I still have a ton of questions. Some I just didn't want to ask cuz I was embarrassed.

Hello Kitty,

Welcome to the group. I had my surgery on the 17th, so I'm at about the same stage as you. I'm starting the stage two liquid diet today. For me getting between 50 to 80 grams of protein and 64 ounces of fluids has been a challenge every day. I'm not sure what you mean by 1 oz 3 times a day. I am limited to 1 oz every 15 minutes or so, until I've had 64 oz of fluid. This is a great group and when you ask a question you will get answers. Start asking away.

Welcome aboard Kitty! This is a great place to come for answers and support. Everyone is so nice. Please don't be embarrassed about any questions you may have. That's what we're here for.
You say you went back to work after only a week? Wow. I was wondering how long most people took off of work after surgery. I hope I do as well as you. Keep in touch.

Hi Kitty,

You didn't mention what kind of surgery you had. 1 oz doesn't seem right to me but I don't know what you are talking about. Are you on protein shakes? They help to quell the hunger and there is a lot you can do with them to change the flavors. They were a lifesaver for me and I still do at least one every day. Please feel free to ask away, no need for embarrassment here. it really helps to be able to talk to someone who has had the same surgery and how they are handling it.

Generally they usually require at least 60 Grams of protein and at least 64 ounces of fluids per day. The shakes, jello, popsicles, tea (decaf), coffee (decaf), and water count toward your fluid intake.

Sounds like maybe you had a lap band placed. Just guessing?

Joy

Thank u everyone for your support already:) I do appreciate it. I had the Roux-en Y. What I'm on is 1 flouid oz of a cream soup or jello, pudding or yogurt 3 times a day. With 64 oz of water plus 16 oz of milk a day. I'm not having trouble drinking the water or milk. It's just that now that I'm back to work and more active I'm getting hungry. I know I can do the protein shakes and that might help. Maybe I'll try that today. They said the water would help keep me full and it has to some degree but I really feel by the end of the day I need more.

Welcome, Hello Kitty,

I'm glad you found your say here. Welcome. And Congratulations on your wls.

What you've listed for your food isn't nearly enough protein. Check your handouts again. Maybe you misread them? Or missed a part? It wouldn't hurt to check in with your medical team, too. What you've described just doesn't sound right. Weight loss is great; let's keep you healthy, too.

Please let us know what you find out.

No I'm not missing anything. This is what my program is. I've talked with the nurse. After hearing all you guys say its not enough now I know why I'm frustrated!!! I only have until Sunday then I can go on to stage 3 which is more food.

Ask if you can use Chia seeds in your jello or pudding. I use it in my oatmeal and yogurt. They are tiny seeds that expand, kinda like tapioca. It might help you feel fuller longer.

HELLO KITTY!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist *LOL* Hang in there and continue to follow the 4 meal plan phases. You'll be eating "regular" food soon enough. The meal plans are meant to keep you from becomming nauseous and also allow your tiny (and angry) new pouch to heal properly. Once you start drinking the shakes you will feel less hungry because of the protein. And make sure you stay hydrated. Ounce for ounce your protein shakes, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles count towards you fluid goals. So does any other allowed liquids like broth and soups. Since you are back to work it's easy to not drink enough so keep a thermal mug with you at all times and keep sipping.

Your post mentioned 1 ounce 3 times a day. You should be eating / drinking 5 or 6 small meals each day and 1 ounce is not nearly enough for each meal so it's no wonder you feel hungry. Please call your nutritionist for further direction, something is not right here.

Ask if you can use Chia seeds in your jello or pudding. I use it in my oatmeal and yogurt. They are tiny seeds that expand, kinda like tapioca. It might help you feel fuller longer.

Good thought, but I'm not sure Chia seeds are a good idea with a stoma. This is something you would definitely want to run past your medical professionals.

Back