• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to this site

SwtHrt7

Hello everyone, Im new to this site and wanting to meet people who are both pre-op and post-op for surgery. I am currently waiting on my insurance approval for gastric bypass. I am hoping it will come sooner than later! I am very excited and nervous at the same time. My begining weight was 318 and my current weight is 305. I have actually been at this process for a year now .. unfortunately i had some unexpected bumps in the road that delayed my process. But Im back on track and ready to go!

HI SWThrT7 HI DON'T GIVE UP HOPE, IT TOOK ME 9 LONG MONTHS TO GET ALL THE PAPER WORK DONE AND TESTING ETC, BUT I MUST SAY "IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT" . YOU WILL DO GOOD, YOU DIDN'T GIVE UP. I LIKE OTHERS WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD THIS SURGERY DONE MANY YEARS AGO, I AM 56 AND SO THANKFUL THAT I WAS GIVEN A 2ND CHANCE AT LIFE. I AM HAPPY TO SAY" NO LONGER A DIABETIC, NO LONGER NEED HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE MED AND CHOLESTROL MED. LIFE IS IMPROVING AND MY HEALTH HAS DEFINETELY IMPROVED. LEARNING TO APPRECIATE FOOD AND NOT TO USE IT AS A 'REWARD" OR TO SMOTHER OUT FEELINGS IS SOMETHING I AM WORKING ON, BUT I AM GLAD TO BE ABLE TO LOOSE WEIGHT AND GETTING HEALTHIER IS A GOOD FEELING, AND I KNOW I WILL HAVE THIS TOOL FOR LIFE,AND THINGS WILL CONTINUE TO GET BETTER. HANG IN THERE I HAVE FOUND ANSWERS TO SO MANY? ON THIS SITE AND I ALSO LIKE ANOTHER SITE CALLED> THEWORLDACCORDINGTOEGGFACE.ORG SHE HAD THE SURGERY IN 2006 AND WENT FROM A SIZE 24 I THINK TO A SIZE 6. SHE HAS ENDLESS RECIPES AND IDEAS AND TELLS YOU OF GREAT PRODUCTS AND HOW TO MAKE DESSERTS USING YOUR PROTEIN POWDER. CHECK IT OUT. ALL OF US ARE WILLING TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT. I WILL GLADLY TRY TO ANSWER YOUR ? OR CONCERNS. YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENBARK ON THE GREATEST JOURNEY OF YOUR LIFE TO A HEALTHIER YOU. DONNA(BIGTALLSIS)

Thanks Donna!! Its great knowing there are people who have been there and know where im coming from. I do have a great support system but sometimes its hard because they dont know all the feelings and things we are experiencing thru this process. I originally started out that I was going to have the Lapband surgery...but after more consideration and seeing my diabetes become worse then it was when I started this journey, I decided gastric was best. I will definitely check out that other site! My mother in law was a 24 dropped down to a 4 after her surgery and the surgeon told her that was too small...she went to an 8 for awhile and now after six years she is levelled out and is a solid size 10 and loves it! So I do have someone close to me I can turn to at times as well. Im so excited I hope the insurance authorization comes fast! Im ready to start my new life!!
~Amanda~

Hi there! Welcome! The road to surgery can be long, that's for sure. I started in March of 2012, and had my RNY on 1/28/13. I got approved first time, but jumping through the hoops takes time. I had zero complications with surgery, and only minimal pain. There is a learning curve associated with learning about step diets and what to eat because it seems like every program has different rules. The best thing to remember is to follow the plan your doctor gives you. I am so glad I had the surgery. It has only been 7 weeks, but I feel like a new person.

Thanks and congrats on your surgery and progress!! I cant wait to "feel like a new person" as well!! I found out today my insurance approved me for surgery!! Tomorrow I'm going to call to schedule it! I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Amanda, welcome to the board. I'm very happy to hear that you got your approval from the insurance company. This is a journey that takes a lot of work, because these changes are permanent, but stick with the plan laid out for you and you will be a BIG LOSER too. Please let us know if you have any questions or just need a shoulder to cry on, we're here.

Frank

:cool:

Congratulations on your approval. Things will really start to happen quickly. I was able to get everything I would need post op. I recommend this as I really didn't feel like going to stores to find the right protien powder and vitamins right after surgery. Hang on your journey is just beginning.

Thank you all so much for the support!! My surgery is scheduled on April 12th ... on my BIRTHDAY!! What a great gift, its the best bday gift ever! Today I had my pre-op nutritional class that went over EVERYTHING and then some....I am so excited I cannot wait for it to get here!!

Back