• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new user with questions

shirlb42

iam new to this site. I was scheduled for my gastric but ran inti problems with the protein shakes due to kidney ailment. ended up in hospital in renal failure. have to see kidney spec. and guess he will decide my fate. iam so disappointed as I started this procedure nov.5th and was to have surgery finally may 7th. iam only 4'9" and230 #'s.also will be 71 next month. ..I had trouble drinking the shakes but made my self do it along with the 64 oz water everyday. now im wondering if its even worth risking my life for. would love to hear from others and how they cope from the beginning to ater surgery and feeling good.

Welcome Shirlb42, I am very sorry to hear about your trouble. If you are drinking shakes, then you don't need 64 oz of water. The shakes count as part of the liquid intake. WLS was the second best decision of my life. My wife is my first. Being able to move around easily is such a blessing, I would recommend proceeding if the Dr clears you for the surgery. You sound like you will do great post surgery. Good luck and keep us informed.

Frank

:cool:

Hi shirlb42, Im so sorry to read of your troubles. I would have to say that if your Dr gives you the go ahead to have the surgery, you should do it. You have spent 6 months already working yourself upto the prize...Dont loose site of it now!! Keep us posted!

Kelly

HI Shirlb42 welcome

I hate to hear you are having trouble. Just do what is best for your health that is what this journey is all about. I hope all goes well.

Hello Shirlb,

I am so sorry for your disappointment after being so prepared. The shakes plus the water were probably hard on your kidneys. See what the doctor says after you have stabilized. There are several different thoughts about protein and the kidneys and you want to make sure your renal status is good before having surgery but your doctor will be able to help you through that. If you can have the surgery I think you will be pleased with it. Maybe something less invasive would work for you even if it meant losing more slowly and again your doctor will have to help with that decision. I was 4'11" and weighed 244 at my highest and was 69 when my band was placed and I just wish I had done it sooner. Good luck with your decision and with your doctor's decision. Joy

sorry to hear that you have been having problems. hang in there and hopefully all will work out for you....lacey....:)

Back