• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newb

Aly

Hello all, :D
I am schedule for the Roux-N-Y gastric bypass on March 7th and am getting pretty nerved up! I am on a liquid diet (which is already starting to suck!) until my surgery because I was not able to lose enough weight during my waiting period. I have a few friends that have had the surgery done but am looking for some online support and ideas post-surgery. Information is power and I am hoping to be pretty powerful heading into surgery and recovery. I look forward to reading the posts on this site to find new insight into any issues I may encounter.

Welcome Aly. You will find plenty of support in this forum. So many wonderful and knowledgable people who really care. My RNY is in a few days on 2/27. Feel free to ask questions about anything and keep us posted on your progress.

Welome Aly, I am Tom. Hang in there with the liquid diet, it will go by and befor you know it you will be checking into the hospital. Post surgery I was able to stop my high blood pressure and colesteral meds. You will have to continue a liquid diet for about two weeks post surgery but you will get a generic menu and time line from the doctors that lets you know when you can start introducing foods into you meal plans, they will also stress that you need at least 60 gms of protien and 64 oz of water a day to aide in recovery and provide enough nutrition. For me post surgery I had very little appatite and found it difficult to get in enough protien and water for the first monthe and did not get an appatite back for about a year. Remember we are all different so our experiences may not be the same but most are similar. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the support! My doctor recommends adding an unflavored protein powder to things like sugar-free pudding to ensure that I get the amount of protein a day they suggest which is around 70grams. The hunger level right now during my liquid diet is horrible so I am trying to find some way to curb the appetite without breaking the diet rules. I just picked up another package of protein powder today in a different flavor that I have been using just to "spicy" things up a little. I am sure that after surgery I won't have to deal as much with the hunger pains and that will make focusing on the diets and exercise a little easier.

I did the 2 week protein before my surgery as well. It was tough but I made it through-I lost about 14 lbs so that made it easier to stay on. The DR said it made my surgery so much easier. I had no problems with my surgery went home the next day. It didn't even seem like I had had surgery. I used Bariatic Advantage. Had Orange Cream for breakfast, and Chocolate for lunch and Strawberry for dinner or chocolate again. (The strawberry was not my favorite). After your clear liqid diet for about a week you will be glad for your shakes. I also like Sams Premiere Shakes for on the go. 30 grams of protein and taste really good.

It has been really tough staying on the liquid diet. I've actually slipped in a salad for dinner twice just for some sort of roughage. I'm 8 days away from surgery today so from here on out it will be just protein shakes and jello. Just hard trying to ignore the hunger pains!

Hey Aly, well i'm not quite there yet, but, i am actually doing a liver reduction plan so i know all about those hunger pains lol but you hang in there and the reward will be beneficial in the long run.... good luck... Motiv8ed:D

Back