• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie here! 2 days post op.....

Hello! I just arrived home after my RNY. As soon as I walked in the door I realized I am going to see support and someone to ask questions of. I found this site. A little about me. In 2010 at 275 lbs I underwent surgery for the Lap Band. After just over a year it had eroded and was removed. I had lost 85 lbs and felt great. I was discouraged about having it removed but felt like it was a good tool and I had learned a lot. I never wanted to procedure with a more permanent gastric surgery. After 8 month I had gained 30 lbs back. Discouraged I proceeded to get approved for the Gastric RNY surgery. Surgery was just days ago on August 21st. I feel good as long as I manage my pain. I am just hoping to make some connections with others goign through the same thing. I have told only my husband and a good friend about my surgery. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Welcome Upnorthmom...I just had my gastric bypass on July 25, 2012. I have heard of a few people who had the Lap band and returned in a few years for the bypass. I chose the Bypass due to the fact that I was also diabetic and had high blood pressure. I am now off of my medications for diabetes and High Blood Pressure, thanks to the bypass! I wish you success! You'll find a lot of support on this forum!

Upnorthmom-Welcome to tee forum, so glad you found us! Feel free to ask questions, advise others or just let us know how your day is going. I hope you come back to let us know how you are doing :)

Hi UpNorthMom, Welcome. So sorry your band didn't work out so well, I hope the RnY treats you much better. We are all here to help each other so feel free to ask questions on how we deal withh day to day issues on this weight loss journey we have all embarked on. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am still exploring the posts and site. I am glad to have found a supportive community. I have to admit very few people know of my surgery. I feel a little embarrassed I was not able to control my weight and resulted in such drastic measure. So I will defiantly be looking for advice! Thanks!

Hi UpNorthMom. No need to be embarrassed about having WLS and no need to tell anyone who you don't want to, I just told a few close friends and my family and of course my boss because I had to take time off of work, unfortunately he could not hold his confidence:rolleyes: It can be a very difficult strugle for some of us to keep weight off and I do believe it is genetic because it does run in both sides of my family and I could only keep weight off with a very rigorous workout rotien which is imposable to keep up on now that I am a little older. You can tell wjhomever you like and don't worry about the others. :cool: Tom

Hello and welcome Upnorthmom,

I just had lap-band and I hope and pray mine doesn't erode! I didn't tell many people either. I too, felt embarrassed. But I didn't do this for vanity (well maybe a lil) but mostly for health reasons. I am pre-diabetic and have high cholesterol. I just wish I had done it sooner. Question: Do you know why your band eroded? I was told no ibuprophen or aleeve for this reason. There is a great group of people on here so you will get plenty of support.
Margaret

I wish the best of luck to you and hope that the RnY does do better for you. I have also heard of the band eroding and that is why I have shyed away from lap band and have chosen the RnY. I too, have not told many people. My mother knows because she is my "in person" supporter since she herself had the surgery. However, other than her and my husband, no one else in my family knows. Mine isn't because of embarrassment because obviously when the weight starts falling off... people are going to find out. I have chosen to keep it quiet to keep out the negative comments. I only want positive encouragement. Only you live your life and deal with how you feel. Don't let other's judgement embarrass you. We wish the BEST of luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing. Newbies like me like to hear the ups and downs of the post op to know what we are facing!! :)

I had my surgery on the same day. I'm from PA
How are you feeling now? and how're you managing your pureed diet?

HI! This will be fun to compare notes since we have same surgery dates! I am doing well. Almost too well I think. After just one week out from surgery I was playing kickball on an adult league. I feel little difference then before my surgery. I haven't found anything that makes me too sick. Obviously I cant eat too much but am tolerating food well. I only did pureed for 5 days or so then moved on to soft foods. I feel tired all the time and wonder if I am lacking some vitamin. I don't feel like the surgery has been real life changing thus far. I haven't lost a ton of weight, but part of that might just be me getting antsy to see a change. How are you? Did you recover well? How much have you lost?

I'm recovering very well, I guess. Had some bad pain first week after the surgery, but nothing big ever since. I went back to work four days after coming back home. I don't feel the big change either. I'm eating pureed food now, and am ok with it. not really my style, but just hope it works. When i started the two-week liquid diet (5 weeks ago) I was 352, now I'm about 317. Not bad though I was hoping for a faster weight loss. Sometimes I feel frustrated, but am trying to think positively. That's why I joined this forum.

Upnorthmom-WOW you are doing great physically. Please make sure not to overdo things too soon. Hopefully you got a release from your surgeon for the kickball so you don't cause any internal damage to your stapled tissue. Just curious, how much weight have you lost in the 20 days since your surgery? If you want you can add your current weight to your profile page :)

It's normal to feel tired for the first 2 or 3 months after surgery, sometimes to the point of exhaustion Even though you aren't feeling it, your body has just been through a tramatic experience and is using its energy to heal itself. Get plenty of sleep every night and take naps when your body tells you it's tired. Getting your minimum of 60 grams of protein is also essential for proper healing and will also help your energy level. All of this will promote better healing and keep you from losing healthy tissue instead of excess fat.

Back