• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie still has questions

Ednalee

I had my surgery on July 3, 2013. No complications and have felt 100% ever since. Here are my questions. 1. I will start pureed foods on Tues. and am still working on protein. Is it common to feel hungry a lot? It is driving me crazy. But then again is it hunger, or head hunger? How do you really know the difference? I find myself worrying about it all the time. My second question is getting the water in. I could drink water all day long, but I am so afraid of drinking too much for my pouch, I find myself not getting enough in. I someone could please let me know if these feelings are common, or am I crazy. Thanks for your support.

Hi Ednalee

I had surgery in June and still do not feel hunger. I found in my classes learning the difference between the urge to eat and actual hunger takes time for some. It is very common to not be able to get all your water in during the first little bit of time after surgery. If you are not sure if you have head hunger or actual hunger pay attention to the signals your stomach is sending you once you start to eat. make sure you are not drinking before, during or after eating for 30 minutes. With bypass you should learn real quick what it is to feel full. Also be sure to talk to your weight loss team as they can help you with details. I wish you the best in your journey.

Hi Ednalee, from what you are saying, what you're feeling is not all that unusual. For me the effect was the exact opposite when it came to being hungry. I have to remind myself to eat, otherwise I may not eat at all. As for getting in your water, sip sip sip all day long, just small sips, every 5 to 10 minutes and you'll have no problems. The farther out you get, the more you can drink at one time. It will never be a large amount, but I can get all my liquids in, in about 10 hours. Trust me you cannot hurt your pouch by drinking too much, but you will know it when you do drink too much. Right now it sounds like you're doing well and you and your body are learning and adjusting to life post surgery. Stick with your plan and ask any questions you have. You're going to do great.

Frank

:cool:

Sorry I am so late in getting back, I have been so busy. Thanks for all of your encouragement and advice. I am finding it is getting better. I am doing better on the water and working on protein. I am so happy that I had to shop for some smaller sizes. Not buying much, but enough to get me by. Again thanks, any words of wisdom help! I am doing great and will continue to do so, but not without having some silly questions once in awhile!

Back