• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No Longer Super, Morbidly Obese (& don't plan on going back ever)!

robergnm

Hello Everyone,

Mary from Milwaukee here. Recap, I had surg on 06/06/12 - primary repair of large hiatal hernia, followed by the roux-en-y gastric bypass.
Had 1 month follow up visit today; actually walked to & from the hospital (how about those apples).
Weighed in at 305, now down 48 lbs, > 10% of my highest weight and most importantly to me, BMI below 50!!
Got a high 5 from the RN; she said we do the happy dance when I go down from morbidly obese to just overweight - cannot wait for that day.

I've set a goal of less than 300 before the end of the month; reward ~ iPod Nano; hope it's before then I really can't wait to get one & now justified it's purpose.

I look at it this way and from viewing the last credit card statement; I don't go out for meals, don't drink alcohol & don't by clothes; the nano will be great for all forms of exercise. Next goal - haven't set but reward will be a nice bicycle! Cannot wait.

Got a response on the big time, night sweats. For women a lost of estrogen is stored in all that fat. Start burning the fat and the estrogen gets out of sorts & can mimic menopausal like symptoms, hence the intense night sweats & also bring about PMS type issues; mood swings, etc. :D

Congratulations Mary that is all great news :D You'll singing with that iPod in a week or two I bet. Keep doing what your doing. :cool: Tom

hi robergnm MARY
you deserve to get the IpodNano, you're doing good and like you said you don't drink etc so treat yourself, also a new bike sounds cool too, as the pound keep falling away, you'll be needing new clothes too. sounds like you are right on track i know you must be smiling from within with pure joy. thanks for info about night sweats.
donna

Hi Mary,
You are so right. I bought an ipod shuffle and I love it. Not only does music make me happy but you move better to music. I am soooooo very happy for you. You are such a positive person. I said that I was going to reward myself with a manicure and pedicure when I went below 200. Well, I didn't. Still want to though. My new goal is 10 more pounds by the end of August. I am hoping that my surgeon will allow me to eat other foods besides protein. I miss salads and vegetables.
I also had no idea about the estrogen being stored in fat. That is probably why I am having so many hot flashes and it keeps getting worse. I went off my estrogen/progesterone pills two weeks before surgery. (because they said to) That really explains a lot. You are such a neat person. Wish you lived here.

Congratulations. Go for it now it is an investment that will help you continue in your weight loss journey. So I have a question. What is the catagories of obese, morbidly obese and super morbidly obese? Just wondering.

Hi Kim, when I was at 290 and my doctor wrote down morbid obisity on my chart and I am supposed to be about 165, my guess is upto at least 150 ponds over weight we are considered morbidly obese, I don't know wher the bottom or top of that scale is. She wrote that down before I asked her about the WLS when I came back in on my 6 month check up I was at 315 and then I broke down and asked about the WLS and we talked for a while and she said it would be an option worth considering if I wanted to do it. The rest is history. :cool: Tom

Hi, Mary,

Congratulations and Many Happy Returns of the Day! You must be very proud of yourself. You should be!

Here's a chart I found showing the progression from Obese to Mobidly Obese and beyond.

Normal BMI 19 to 24
Overweight BMI 25 to 29
Obese BMI 30 to 39
Extreme (Morbid) Obesity BMI 40 to 49
Super Morbidly Obese BMI 50+
Super, Super Mobidly Obese BMI 60+

I don't know about everybody else but . . . I've been obese all my adult life. I'm not sure when I tripped the light fantastic and ventured into Mobid Obesity. It just sort of happened. It was all too easy. I intend to change that.

Back