• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No more protein shakes

BamaBaby

Went to the Dr. last week. And he told me, no more protein shakes. Just eat regular food, with the meal being half protein, the rest veg. and fruit. What do you all think about this? Thanks...I need everyone's input.

congrats , i cant wait till i get to that point . make sure you get enough protein in food form

That's is what i worry about. The way everyone one talks about protein all the time, I'M STILL only able to eat 4 bites at a time. Am I going to get enough? He thinks protein shakes are way to fattening. What to do.....What to do.

I would still calculate your daily proteins to make sure you are getting enough. As far as protein shakes being fattening - some have more calories than others and more sugar also. Just try to find shakes that have lower calories and sugar content. Also not sure if you have them or not but my local grocery store (Kroger) has a lite nonfat greek yogurt that has 16g of protein in a 6oz container. The flavored ones have only 90 calories and 6g of sugar 0g of fat, and the plain (which doesn't say lite) 110 calories, 6g sugar, 0g fats. If you like yogurt these are actually very smooth and go down easy. So this would be a low calorie way to replace some of your drinks if you wanted and still get a decent amount of protein for only 6 ounces.

Also not sure if you know or would even like these - but pumpkin seeds also called pepitas- have 10g protein per ounce or 19g for 1/4 cup, you can get them either raw or toasted- shelled is much easier- if you look up pepitas you will find the shelled ones.

Can't wait until I won't be required to drink protein shakes. But can totally understand your concern about enough protein. The suggestion of Greek yogurt is a great one. I love that yogurt and I buy the plain non fat. I take a half of cup, put a few drops of vanilla, Splenda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in it. Yummy..... I not too sure about the pumpkin seeds. I don't think it is recommended to eat nuts and seeds, but I might be mistaken. Keep us posted and go for it BamaBaby

I don't add milk to my shakes and make my own in a shaker botttle drink one glass through out the day. The one I but isn't really high in calories

I don't get it...if i don't get the 60 grams of protein in ..will I still lose weight and not muscle? Without the eggnog(egg and 1% milk) w/protein powder in it ...I'll only get about maybe 40-45 grams daily.

Bama Baby,

I would go with the nutritionist rather than the doc (which for me is unusual). Our Nutritionist said to add up your protien for the day and add a shake if needed. I have a band and sometimes all I can get down in the morning is a shake. My shakes made with skim milk are only 180-190 calories so that is not bad for breakfast (slightly more if I add some fruit like half a banana or some strawberries). If I use crystal lite they are even less. But she also said if you did not get enough protein during the day to have a shake in the evening. I also use protein bars like when I am driving and it is lunch time or at night. I know with by pass it is different and you might not tolerate them because some are too high in carbs. I really think sometimes we must use common sense. When you get to the point where you get at least 60-80 Grams of protein from food you can easily slack off the shakes. Our nutritionist literally told us this is not the time to worry about calories (but I do watch them anyway common sense again but not obsessive about it). I can't afford to lose any muscle strength at this point. Just my thoughts on this. Joy

Yeah I know I already replied but ya know if you feel you are not getting enough protein, what did your blood levels show? I was just thinking about this. Maybe you do need it on days you are not getting enough.

They haven't done any blood work and haven't talked of doing any. I just read everyone threads and I don't want to stop my weight loss, it has already slowed down. I think I will call the nutrionist Monday. I really worry about screwing thing up. I'm going to make some protein power super duper ice cream out of 1%milk. yummmy. LOL thanks for helping me with some ideas.

That's is what i worry about. The way everyone one talks about protein all the time, I'M STILL only able to eat 4 bites at a time. Am I going to get enough? He thinks protein shakes are way to fattening. What to do.....What to do.

I guess it's a matter of how many shakes someone drinks in a day. There are PLENTY of brands of protein shakes that are not fattening. EAS CarbAdvantage and Atkins are just 2 of them. 100 calories with 16 to 20 grams of protein.

Congrats on "graduating" to solid food. I don't think it would hurt you one bit to supplement your diet with a protein shake or 2 until you are able to get enough protein in with your meals. I still occasionally have to have a shake since meats are still an issue for me.

Just a side note about nuts and seeds. They are difficult to digest for someome who has had a gastric bypass so be careful to do a "test drive" before you eat a substantial amount. It would probably be a good idea to speak to your nutritionist before eating this type of food unless you are at least 6 months post surgery.

It is imperative to get a minimum of 60 grams of lean protein daily, 70 is better. You will lose muscle if you do not get enough protein. I know it seems like a lot and it can be difficult to eat enough to get in 60-70 grams a day but there are a lot of protein dense foods available. Tuna, milk, lean beef, low carb/low fat protein bars. etc. You can always call your nutritionist to help you find foods that you enjoy that have high protein. Compared to what was available 5-10 years ago we have it easy. In the past, weight loss patients used to have to rely on mostly powdered milk added to food and nasty tasting soy protein shakes and bars in order to meet their daily protein goal.

You should be getting at least 60 grams or more of protein a day. It also depends on your activity level as well. You do need protein for the healing process and for your energy and over all well being. I am 6 months out and I had already cut back from 2 to 1 protein shakes a day. I have now just stopped drinking them all together. Just had my latest Doctor's appointment last week and she advised me that if I need or use a protein shake now it should be used as a meal replacement. I am will be getting my protein in daily through the foods I eat. Calculate your meals and make sure you'll be getting enough. If not, you may experience complications, ie: tiredness, hair loss, difficulty healing, etc., This practice should also continue for the rest of your life.

That's a good place to be , it gets boring to take those shakes everyday. You look very well. Im 9 mos. out have lost 100 lbs need to loose a lot more

Back