• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not a happy camper...

Ibreonka

I had my surgery on April 16,2012. I'm having issues with everything, We just found out we are pcsing to Germany in 60 days. I can barely hold my bowels some days,how am I going to make an 10hr plane trip? I have tried the cream soups and I keep getting the feeling I want to throw up afterwards. I know each doctor has a different diet, mine says start tuna fish. Ten minutes after only an ounce I just want to throw up. I'm drinking Isopure protien shakes and those make me feel sick..I know I have to eat and drink,but I feel so much better when I just don't..Please tell someone tell me they have had this problem..Or have any advice thank you...

Ibreonka-Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having problems. What you are describing sounds a lot like dumping syndrom. This is caused by eating foods that are too high in fat and / or sugar. If this is not causing the problem perhaps you are not getting enough fiber in your diet. Try adding a supplement like Benefiber. It might cause some gas and bloating in the beginning but will help get your system back to normal.

It would probably be worth your time to call your nutritionist and discuss your diet. Start keeping a food journal if you haven't already so that you have a clear picture of where changes need to be made. Let us know about your progress :)

Hi, I'm Kerry and had my surgery 2 weeks ago. You seem to have a good handle on the diet. I'm not hungry, eating makes me nauseous. But how do you deal with the cravings? I'm just starting my puree phase and looking forward to something besides Greek yogurt. Please tell me it gets better, because right now I'm scared I'm going to mess this up.

Thanks Pat I really appreciate the advice! I did call and make an apointment with the nutritionist,and Iam keeping a food journal..I will ask about the fiber. I would rather deal with a little gas then loose bowels..

hey Kerry, I'm not really having any cravings only due to that everything makes me feel sick..even the chewable vitamins..Week 2 I was doing Egg drop soup,tomato soup and sugar free puddings.From what i'm hearing it gets better!! Just have to keep your head and keep in mind how hard we worked for this surgery!!

Kerry-I think most us get nausea in the beginning. Knowing that you will get nausea and have a very angry pouch if you give in to your cravings should help you try to forget about them. You could also cause "damage" to the surgery if you eat things that will not digest easily like the things in the meal plan specifically for the phase you are in. You will be able to have "regular" food soon enough. Trust me when I tell you that you will not be able to handle the foods you are craving yet. I even had trouble when I was in the pureed phase and had to fall back on the previous foods for a few more weeks. The best thing is to follow the prescribed meal plan. You will feel better and heal faster. Make sure to get your protein and fluids in daily.

Hi Ibreonka
In my first weeks I went thru a phase lkie you're going thru-I didn't tolerate cream anything as it sent me directly to the white throne !-I somehow found out that cottage cheese and ice popcicles were going to be my staple foods for a little while-After a while I did add tuna and I still eat it almost every day in some form although now it's more grilled tuna steaks or tilapia or salmon steaks now.
I'm 13 months post op and I can eat most anything I want now although my tastes in foods has changed somewhat-while I still enjoy limited amounts of pasta or breads I no longer eat those things in quantity-I also no longer eat ice cream or cake except at birthdays etc. and only in small portions.The thing to find is something you can fall back on that you like and can tolerate in your early reintroduction to food to hold you over until your body tolerates more variety.That timetable seems to be different for everybody.
Most of us go thru some form of this at first and everybody is different-Just take all your vitamins and get your liquid in-And above all try to get your protien in any way that works for you as that's the major building block for your strength.
I hope this encourges you somewhat although I understand your concern-but you've done very well so far and will do even better as time goes on.
Take Care
Ron

Our gym offers some hydration bottles. These neat little bottles will tell you how much water you have been drinking and if you are on target and how much more you need. I don't remember the name of it, but I will see in the morning and let you all know when I get home from the gym. Maybe I will have some good news from the dr office too.

Wow! Moving to germany in 60 days will be a huge challenge! I agree with the comments about just eat what works for you and over time you will be able to add more things back in and tolerate them better. But moving a household this close to WLS is not going to be easy. You will barley be fully recovered, and if you over do it, you could find yourself set back. I am guessing you are a military family. Do they pack up for you when you move or do you have to do it yourself? I would highly recommend hiring movers to pack for you if you can. I did that when I moved two blocks 10 years ago. I had a 1 yo and a 2 yo and a husband who was suffering from depression at the time, so I just called the moving company and had them do everything. It was the best decision I could have made!

Good luck with the move, and recovery!

Thank you guys for all the ideas and support..TRULEY HELPED!! I'm actually handling tuna and cream soups alot better now,I actually just started back over from the begining like my surgery was that day and started with the sips of water and sipping on a protien drink all day. I'm doing much better now. I no longer have problems with my bowels YAY! Actually the Army changed our orders were no longer going to Germany,due to they have no baraitric doctor in Germany if something was to go wrong. Instead they are now sending us to Hawaii..No problems with me..The Army will hire movers so no stress to me.Once again thank you all for the support and the advice!!

Hi Ibreonka, I am very happy to hear everything has worked out for you, Germany might have been nice but Hawaii is not a bad alternative at all, I spent three weeks on the Big Isladn on a fire assignment and I would have to say it was one of the best assignments I ever had. :cool: Tom

Back