• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Omg!!! I got a Surgery Date!!!

Kperion

My journey was soooo freaking fast.. I feel like I just started and I'm having sugery JUNE 7.... Omg that's next week!!!! It only took about 1 month from my 1st consultation... Help Help did anybody else move this fast?? How long did it take you all to get a surgery date??

Wow! That is fast. The only time I've heard anything so fast is when someone pays out of pocket and they don't have to jump through all the hoops with their insurance company. You must have a good insurance company. I got my referal from my primaty doctor in December or January and had my WLS on March 28th and that seemed really fast to me. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Tom that is fast. In my head I thought I would have at least 4 to 6 months before surgery but I guess not. Were you nervous before your surgery? How much pain did you have? Thanks so much for your support Tom it really heips me along.

It took me about 4 months. It would have happened much sooner if I didn't wait so long to schedule all of my appointments for the pre-surgical testing. I procrastinated and on 2 occasions actually canceled then rescheduled. Once everything was done and approved I thought I would have to wait another month or 2 for insurance approval. That wasn't the case though. Once the insurance coordinator from the surgeon's office called my insurance and sent everything over I was approved in 24 hours. Because another family member already had a surgery date scheduled in January I didn't take the first available date but took one that was 1 month further out. Everything considered I thought things moved along pretty fast.

I was very nervous and scared but my three daughters were there with me and I knew I was doing this for all the right reasons because nothing else was working for me. I didn't have a lot of pain just some tenderness after I got home, it was uncomfortable to roll over in bed get up from a chair or to laugh or cough, that took a few weeks to start feeling better. Directly post op in the hospital I had a pain pump for the first 24 hours then a liquid pain medicine so I was never uncomfortable. I think the healing time is less with the sleeve, I can't remember if the hospital stay is the same but there are some sleeve folks here that can answer that one, I was out on day 3. You will do fine, make sure to come back here and vent if you need to, we have all been through this so we all know how you feel. I can remember all the emotions like yesterday. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

I started the journey in January, and finally got a surgery date for June 25. I really thought it would be quicker cause that is how they were talking May, but nobody knew for sure how long it would take for the insurance to approve me. After the approval they gave me the surgery date then they told me I needed cardiac clearance which I received yesterday. So I have just under a month till surgery. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. This is normal.

Wow, that was super fast. That would make my head spin. I had my first consult in late April and am now waiting for the call for a surgery date. Even though it's been a couple of months for me, I still feel like it has flown by. It seems like yesterday that my husband and I attended the informational seminar. I am completely confident in my decision, but everytime my phone rings, I think to myself "oh my goodness, this could be it." The members here have absolutely made me realize that being nervous and scared is completely normal. I'm sure you'll do great. We have a wonderful support system here. Congratulations, your date will be here before you know it. Good luck. :)
-Jenny

I was very nervous and scared but my three daughters were there with me and I knew I was doing this for all the right reasons because nothing else was working for me. I didn't have a lot of pain just some tenderness after I got home, it was uncomfortable to roll over in bed get up from a chair or to laugh or cough, that took a few weeks to start feeling better. Directly post op in the hospital I had a pain pump for the first 24 hours then a liquid pain medicine so I was never uncomfortable. I think the healing time is less with the sleeve, I can't remember if the hospital stay is the same but there are some sleeve folks here that can answer that one, I was out on day 3. You will do fine, make sure to come back here and vent if you need to, we have all been through this so we all know how you feel. I can remember all the emotions like yesterday. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom
Sleeve hospital stay was same for gastric where i live and i think healing time is slightly quicker i was back to work in two weeks(even though i should have waited three)

My journey was soooo freaking fast.. I feel like I just started and I'm having sugery JUNE 7.... Omg that's next week!!!! It only took about 1 month from my 1st consultation... Help Help did anybody else move this fast?? How long did it take you all to get a surgery date??
wow that is super quick i started in august 2011 and had my sleeve surger feb 7th and that was with no issues had to lose 8%of body weight first, are they requiring pre weight loss from you?

I was 3-4 months as I live 3000 miles from my doctor and had to get work travel out of the way first. Great news though! I am so excited for you.

I was nervous, excited and anxious to get it done with. I had a great experience and so far, only 1+ week from surgery, it continues. My first follow up was a breeze and all is well. I am sticking to my diet and I think that is key. I hear people jumping the gun on their diet stages. I have been very good about compliance and I believe it plays a big part in a happy recovery.

So worth it, I cannot tell you! I already am losing a lot of weight and I am religious about exercise. That, along with drinking fluids, is vital to this working, I believe.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-Lester

Back