• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One hell of a ride so far.

I have been overweight my whole life. I started my first diet when I was 12 (doctor recommended Weight Watchers). I have struggled and struggled till finally a year ago I decided on getting bariatric surgery. I have an amazing husband and 4 year old son who I want to get to enjoy and I know the longer I am the way I am, the shorter my time with them will be. I have type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and massive back problems. I can barely walk for five minutes without my legs wobbling from the extra weight.

I have been going through the approval process with my insurance (Medicaid) for the past 6 months and FINALLY got approval to do a 6 month observed diet. Today I got a call stating that this was the last month I would have coverage due to my husband's income being too high...so the last 6 months were a total waste. Lucky for me, I also have Tricare (Reserve Select). My whole life I have given up on things easily but not this time. I am determined to take back control of my life and get to enjoy my family.

So please wish me luck in trying to obtain surgery through the military hospital here where I live...it is pretty much my only shot at this point in time. Thanks for reading.

Hi Steph
Welcome to the site. I to have faced Tricare and was approved for the surgery but let family talk me out of it because the hubby was in Iraq. Anyway I don't know if you are looking for advice but if you are here are some things to keep in mind with Tricare. Do not miss your weigh ins. They will want consecutive months of Dr led dieting and they will go back before you started working with them. Also keep a copy of everything, weigh in, food diary and everything from your previous insurance. Sometimes the craziest piece of proof will speed things up. I am using CHAMP VA now and had to get in line with their requirements but that is okay now that I know the game my advocate said I am moving through the program at record speed.

Keep a positive attitude and document document document and it will work out.

Best of Wishes
Sharon

I also have tri-care but I have prime. Activity duty station in Va. I had no problem getting my surgery. Went to first meetin in Oct. then passed all my requirements by the first of December. But my Dr went on maturity leave so had to wait for her to come back. Had my surgery March 14th. Only requirement I had was not to gain weight. Best wishes in getting your surgery.

Hi, I too have Tricare Prime (USAF Retired). The requirements changed at the start of 2012, so I had to restart my approval process. I wanted to quit, but I'm so glad I didn't. The results are well worth the effort. Good luck and keep us informed.

Frank

:cool:

Good luck on your second chance at life you will love it, I'm excited to hear your progress, keep us posted :)

Good news!

So today I spoke with UHC (Tricare) over the phone and they told me to go ahead and schedule my consultation so I did and it is set for next Thursday. I am SOOO excited. Thanks everyone for hearing my venting and supporting me.

Steph.wadhams happy for you, you're on your road to success, the journey is well worth it in the long run, i had to wait 9 months of paper work etc. Finally got my surgery 6 months ago and it was well worth the wait, you'll feel like a new person, keep us posted. This room has helped me alot , been comming here for over a year and i love sharing and reading others progress and learning new recipes etc. Donna(bigtallsis) another great site is theworldaccordingtoeggface.org she had the sugery and went from a 24or26 to a 6 and she shares her blogs and recipes for free her name is shellly, i love going to her site for great recipes

Hang in there, and keep on it! My WLS is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I would do it again in a heartbeat! We will all be here to cheer you on!

Back