• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Packing for hospital

A loose comfortable dress & comfortable shoes for the trip home.

I am taking 3 of my favorite night gowns, robe, hygiene products, lap top, might take some crafting supplies, tennis shoes, 2 pairs of loose cotton knit shorts and some loose baggy tee shirts

no much.
Take pjs just incase you get to change but you will prob be in hospital gowns for the trip
walking shoes that do not require to be tied. Walking after and lots of walking will make the gas go away and keep pain at bay. walk as soon after as possible and keep walking when ever possible. It truly works
something to read or post online. I never really messed with the lap top because I needed to focus on walking and sipping water ( I wanted to go home asap!) it worked
hygiene products
baby wipes to freshen up that first day because surgery will make it almost impossible to take a show and surgery makes for a strange smell.
chap stick was a must and I never use the stuff
hair brush
pack light to take extra stuff only means you have to hall it out of there afterwards.

best of luck

no much.
Take pjs just incase you get to change but you will prob be in hospital gowns for the trip
walking shoes that do not require to be tied. Walking after and lots of walking will make the gas go away and keep pain at bay. walk as soon after as possible and keep walking when ever possible. It truly works
something to read or post online. I never really messed with the lap top because I needed to focus on walking and sipping water ( I wanted to go home asap!) it worked
hygiene products
baby wipes to freshen up that first day because surgery will make it almost impossible to take a show and surgery makes for a strange smell.
hair brush
pack light to take extra stuff only means you have to hall it out of there afterwards.

best of luck

no much.
hygiene products
hair brush

best of luck

First off I have been meaning to tell you I love your avatar. Very funny & I love to laugh so thanks for that. Second also love your username clever. Last of all that's what I was thinking about hauling all that stuff home. I really don't like staying at the hospital either. I've decided to start my quick release by asking my surgeon (possibly debate him) about whether he requires a BM before release. Did you have to have a BM to qualify for release?

Thanks for the Chapstick suggestion and wipes I never would have thought of. I was brushing my teeth today and wondering about how the toothpaste and mouthwash might taste or if it was ok to use. (I don't know why not, my mind is just spinning out all kinds of crazy things). I was wondering about bringing my tongue scraper in case I have a bad taste in my mouth from my new "baby tummy". That's what I've named her, can't wait to take her home. ;-)

I didn't have to (the nurse did call to make sure the everything was okay a couple days later)
Bring the toothbrush and anything that make you smell good. Something in the er has a scent that is different and I had to get it off my body yuck
I understand about the mind spinning if you go back six months ago and read my questions you would be like wow big chicken.
I was very thankful for mouthwash and toothpaste from home. Another item was the phone charger.

I didn't debate with my Dr just made sure he saw me walking the halls with a big ole smile every time he was in the area. I only sat down to catch my breath then it was walk time. I didn't even use pain meds because I didn't need them.

Best of luck let me know of any other questions

Before my surgery.. I lived in cotton blend stretch pants (slacks) - I took a few pairs with me to the hospital and wore the hospital gown with my stretch pants which were perfectly comfortable and my butt and legs didn't show when I was walking and laying in bed. Worked well for me!

Just tonight I picked up a little travel kit at Target (in that section with all the small sizes). It has lotion, tooth paste, tooth brush, deodorant and a few other things. It is designed for airlines, but will work. A few years ago I was in the hospital for a hysterectomy. I really wish I could have had head phones to help block the other noises. My pre-op instructions were to only show up with my insurance card, ID and co-pay (assuming I haven't paid for it yet). I plan to have the other comforts in a bag and leave them with my son. It will have my iPhone and ear buds. Funny that I can wear the ear buds, but that last time I was in the hospital with a roommate that was elderly with a broken hip who moaned non-stop, I couldn't wear ear plugs. The ear plugs were worse than the moaning. 3 weeks and 3 days. WOW! I just did a countdown timer and hadn't really thought it was that soon.

I was wondering if pants would be ok cuz of the incisions. I wish I was getting the one above the belly button that I read about. My surgeon said that there would be 3-5 tiny incisions on the left and right sides I believe. I took the class almost 6 months ago and these details escape me. I'm sure I'll find out at my pre op on the 27th just 12days away! The thanksgiving the next day and four days later surgery on Mon 12/02/13!!!
Wow......kinda scary exciting, I kinda feel like a little girl right now.

The hospitals in our area have packs of extra heavy and thick, large baby type wipes that they heat up and give to the patients. Any you don't use you can take home with you. Also a nice tooth brush, toothpaste, hairbrush, soap, mouthwash and the best creamy thick body cream in a tube.. I really love it. I do like my own hairbrush and my electric toothbrush but last time I was in the hospital I went in through emergency cause of my gallbladder and the tooth brush they gave me wasn't bad at all. Anyway I try to use the stuff they give you cause I don't like carrying too much to the hospital.

I am taking 2 pairs of my super comfy yoga pants that aren't too tight in the tummy and some t-shirts (I refuse the hospital gown!!) I HAVE to take my laptop because guess what?!?!? I have a small business final the 11th (surgery day) or I can take it on the 12th. I don't sleep well in the hospital so I will bring my phone (of course) and my kindle. Chapstick is a must because for some reason you get super chapped in the hospital. I have awesome non-slip fuzzy slippers and I will bring flip flops to go home in (Yay Texas!!). Toiletries of course. I recommend asking to take a shower as soon as possible. As soon as they took out my catheder, IV and off with the compression boots after my C-section, I took a shower and it was like a becoming a new person!

Recap:
*Yoga pants and t-shirts
*Laptop for Final & Small business accounting book
*phone & Kindle (with chargers)
*Fuzzy Slippers and flip flops
*toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, brush, hair ties)
*chapstick

That hospital is fabulous Cheyenne, like a celebrity hospital. What's the name and location of that hospital? I don't know about the hospital I'll be in UC Davis in Sacramento. Anyone ever been or know of someone who has been to this hospital? I know I like them a lot better than Kaiser for patient care.

That hospital is fabulous Cheyenne, like a celebrity hospital. What's the name and location of that hospital? I don't know about the hospital I'll be in UC Davis in Sacramento. Anyone ever been or know of someone who has been to this hospital? I know I like them a lot better than Kaiser for patient care.

Hello fellow Californian! I am also going through Kaiser. I will say one thing for them, with everything in house, I think it speeds up the process. I had my blood work and xray today. Already got an email with the lab results.

thanks for sharing some very important info ! My date is December 10th. It's hard to believe it's getting so close ! To think a few mths ago I was only dreaming of this procedure and if God is willingly it'll become reality !!!
Best wishes and wellness to you !!!

That hospital is fabulous Cheyenne, like a celebrity hospital. What's the name and location of that hospital? I don't know about the hospital I'll be in UC Davis in Sacramento. Anyone ever been or know of someone who has Bremen to this hospital? I know I like them a lot better than Kaiser for patient care.

The hospital I had the bariatric surgery in is Fair Oaks Inova Hospital in Fairfax VA. - I also was in Mary Washington Hospital very recently for my gallbladder in Fredericksburg VA and had the same thing. You get a new pink foot tub with all the stuff you need for your stay. You can even get pads.. I sometimes leak urine. (Was that too much information?) At Mary Washington the last time I was there I had to ask for a couple things that weren't in there like the body cream and deodorant. But they happily give you whatever you request. Everyone is so nice at both hospitals, the nurses put their direct cell ph numbers on the white board in your room so you can call them directly. My 2 grandkids 18 and 20 yrs old wanted to stay with me when I went in the hospital from emergency, for my gallbladder, at Mary Washington, and they let them stay and they slept in the reclining chair and on the floor. Both hospitals are wonderful and the Patient Advacate comes by every couple days to make sure that all is good.

I was wondering if pants would be ok cuz of the incisions. I wish I was getting the one above the belly button that I read about. My surgeon said that there would be 3-5 tiny incisions on the left and right sides I believe. I took the class almost 6 months ago and these details escape me. I'm sure I'll find out at my pre op on the 27th just 12days away! The thanksgiving the next day and four days later surgery on Mon 12/02/13!!!
Wow......kinda scary exciting, I kinda feel like a little girl right now.

The surgery I had gave me 5 small incisions on the upper part of my tummy. My pants didn't touch my incisions which were above my waistband.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't wanted to buy any new clothes so my wardrobe is limited. I think I'm set with what I need.

Comfy pants and top (worn to and from)
Tooth brush, paste, tongue scrapper, mouth wash
Shampoo, moisturizer, & lotion
Don't forget Chapstick!
Reading glasses
Small change purse with money, Id & debit card (just incase)
iPad, iPhone, & iPod Shuffle with chargers and earbuds!
Shoes, comfy mules or slides
CPAP machine
Prescriptions !!!

I think that's all. Am I forgetting something?

thanks for sharing some very important info ! My date is December 10th. It's hard to believe it's getting so close ! To think a few mths ago I was only dreaming of this procedure and if God is willingly it'll become reality !!!
Best wishes and wellness to you !!!

Well Dec.10th is right around the corner. I hope your experience will be as positive as mine was. Good Luck and God bless you! :)

Back