• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

pain?

polo4058

hi, my name is phil,
this will be my third post. in all the reading of posts, i havent seen anything written regarding pain. i am strongly considering the sleeve. after the stapling does anyone feel any pain. if so for how long and how severe. i am a golfer and i expect to golf soon after surgery (if i am able).
when you lose most of your stomach by surgery i would thing there is some pain. but nobody talks about it. if anyone can offer me some insight i would be greatful. thanks in advance for your honesty.
polo

Hi Phil, Welcome. You know that was one of the first questions I asked my doctor after surgery, for some reason I didn't even think of it pre op:confused: I had the RnY and as soon as I was released to full duty I started playing golf again, so it was probably 6 or 7 weeks post op. I was only on pain meds for about a week after I got out of the hospital and after that the only pain I had was when I laughed, sneezed or rolled over in bed and got up from my chair, but it subsided gradually until I didn't notice it anymore. I have heard that people recover faster with the sleeve so you may be able to play golf sooner, let's hope so:D That's a great question so don't forget to ask your doctor. :cool: Tom

Phil-Welcome to the forum. If you read my posts from before surgery I probably ask questions about it in 90% of them *LOL* Pain was my number one concern. Althiugh there is some discomfort you will be given medication and it will be controlled very well. The discomfort improved readily and I was moving around without much trouble within a week after surgery. You might feel better quickly enough to want to play golf within a few weeks but you need to allow yourself to heal before you do anything strenuous like that, you will also have lifting restrictions You will be ready to golf quickly so don't worry about missing too many rounds.

Polo...keep in mind everyone is different, and so is their pain threshold. Personally, I experienced no pain at all. I had the Gastric Bypass on July 25, 2012. I was prepaired for feeling some pain (I figured it was obvious to have some) I was given a prescription for liquid vicodin, which I never even opened. I just experienced the normal limited movement for about 3 days...I have to actually remind myself that I had the surgery on a daily basis. I was restricted in my activities and lifting anything over 10 lbs for 2 weeks. At my 2 week post op appointment was told that I had no further restrictions, I could excercise and was able to resume my normal activities. No pain and I feel better already than I did before surgery! Good Luck!

Back