• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pancakes, waffles, cheese biscuits and other good things!!!

Pat99

I came across a baking mix called CarbQuik that provides 90 calories, 6 grams of protein and only 2 net carbs per 1/3 cup serving :) I made waffles with it today and found them to be very tasty. There are a lot of recipes on the box and more on the website, tovaindustries.com Check it out!!! If any of you have ever tried Wonderslim pancakes, that's how the waffles tasted. There is even a recipe to make those cheesy drop biscuits that are served at Red Lobster. There are recipies for muffins, breads, cakes, pie crust, pizza dough, etc. And because it's so low carb it won't cause nausea or dumping :) :)

I ordered the CarbQuik mix at netrition.com Enter TOVA in the brand name search box and it will take you to the CarbQuik.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great idea. I picked up some Barilla PLUS spaghetti at the local supermarket before my surg but I have not made any yet given what I'm able to eat at this point. It costs a little more than the regular Barilla but it states it is a good source of Protein and ALA Omega 3, cooks in 10-11 mins. Per the nutrition facts; serving size 2 oz (the box is 14.5 oz) about 1/7 of the box or 56 g. Amt per serving Calories 210, cals from fat, 20, cholesterol 0, sodium 25 mg, total carbs 38g, dietary fiber 4 g, sugars 2 g, protein 10 g, calcium 2% and iron 15%, etc. This product contains wheat and egg, I also see that legume flour blend is the 2nd ingredient behind semolina grain. Just some food for thought - literally.

I use pasta made by Dreamfields which has a very low digestible carb value. I can usually find it at Kroger but you can also get it at netrition.com for the same price. They make spaghetti, angel hair, elbow macaroni, lasagna noodles and rigatoni. Netrition has a flat shipping rate of $4.99 too so you can get a bunch of stuff at the same time and not pay a big shipping charge. It's probably cheaper than paying for gas for a trip to the grocery store anymore *LOL*

2 ounce dry serving has 190 calories, 1 g fat, 7 grams protein, 5 grams fiber, 5 grams digestible carbs (not the same as net carbs). Dreamfield's uses a patented process that encapsulates most of the carbs so they are not digested. It has a 65% less glycemic index rating than regular pasta which is 13 vs. 38.

AB James from this forum is trying to get information on the Dreamfields pasta so he can add it to the Bariatric store but he hasn't heard back so I still buy mine at Kroger or Netrition. I swear you can't tell the difference from regular pasta because it's made from durum wheat semolina, it's absolutely delicious!!! I have some regular spaghetti I wanted to use up and made some last week. I ate about 10 pieces and got sick. I didn't dump or throw up it just gave me stomach pains. Looks like my beagle will be getting a little bit of spaghetti mixed with her food in the future so I can use up the box :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to cut out pasta because it made me dump. I will have to look into the Dreamfield pasta. :cool: Tom

Pat. I know that feeling, pasta dose that to me too and I love spaghetti and pasta sause with meat or meat balls. I will try the Brilli Plus. We dont have Krugers here and I don't shop on line. I may ask my daughter who lives in WA. state to check at Krugers there for the Dreamfield Pasta's

I can't recall a Kogers up in Washington? But maybe there is it has been a couple of years since I have been up there. :cool: Tom

If you don't have a Kroger near you try asking the manager at the store you shop to order some Dreamfields. As long as it sells they shouldn't have a problem stocking it.

I've had Dreamfields before the surg; tastes great, almost seemed better than the regular kind, what a little more expensive but not outrageous.
I live in WI and have found it at a regional chain - Pick'n Save.

Might I suggest calling your supermarket where you regularly shop to ask them is they carry either of these?

I just wanted to post a little more about Carbalose and CarbQuik. I have been substituting these products in everything I used to make with wheat flour. I have to say the results have been very good. I just follow the recipe except some adjustments may be needed on the amount of liquid in the recipe. You just need to add a little more of the Carbalose or CarbQuik if things are too thin or add a little liquid if too thick. Another thing is your cooking time may need to be adjusted so make sure to keep an eye on things or you may end up with a dry product.

I mostly make banana nut or blueberry muffins. I have also had good luck using juice packed canned fruit in my muffins, peaches and apples work well. I also make pancakes once or twice a month. I have had the best results using Splenda for a sweetener. Actually, I use a generic Splenda from Costco or Kroger. Costco has the Kirkland brand that comes in a large size yellow box and has individual packets. The Kroger brand comes in a yellow bag which measures just like sugar. Both of these have the exact same ingredients as Splenda and cost a lot less.

Happy baking!!!

For those of you who don't have a Kroger's in your area, Walmart now carries the Dreamfield's line of pasta.

Back