• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pat99 surgery scheduled for 2/27/12

Pat99

Well it's official. My RNY is scheduled for Monday, 2/27/12. I have to schedule a nutritional class and also make an appointment for a chest X-ray and yet another EKG. I had a chest X-ray in early June 2011 AND a CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis in late May 2011 and an EKG in late November 2011 when I went for pulmonary clearance. I also had a heart ultrasound in November 2011 for cardiac clearance. Everything came back good to go so I don't know what's up with all of this additional stuff. Did anyone else have to repeat these tests just prior to surgery?

Hi Pat. Congratulations on your date...Thats a BIG day for you that will change your life forever! I as well had to have all of these tests done but never repeated before surgery. I had my surgery September 7, 2011 so I am just 4 months out and I must tell you that I feel great! I am still finding out what foods will stay down better than others but it is all worth it. Just take it slow and introduce your foods to that new stomach of yours as time goes on. I don't even really feel hungry most of the time but it is very important to get that 60 grams of protein in everyday...It really is still a bit of a struggle for me to get it in myself and make sure when your in the clear after 8 weeks, to take those vitamins and supplements.. That is very important. I have my 4 month follow up with my surgeon on Monday and I have lost 58 pounds so far so I am very pleased with the way things are moving along. My goal weight is 140 so I have a ways to go and am looking forward to seeing the transformation as time goes by....Many people have already told me how nice I am looking but it harder for me to see it than they do....Funny how that works. As far as surgery went, mine was 1.5 hours long and there were no complications. My new pouch didn't leak and I was able to go home the next day. I was a bit sore though for about 4 days after surgery and it really hurt to sneeze or cough....just warning you....:) Get up and move around as much as possible and do your breathing excercises and you will be fine. Being on a liquid diet for two weeks after surgery really wasn't so bad. You think you would be really hungry but your not. Good luck with everything and feel free to ask me questions. Everyone is different with surgery, I hope yours goes well and you adjust to your new stomach within no time at all. Sheila

I am so happy to hear that Pat that is wonderfull:D You are well on your way. I only went through all the testing once I can only guess that they want to make sure nothing has changed in the past 9 or so months. It will be Feb. 27th before you know it. I am so happy for you! Keep us updated. :cool: Tom
Sheila Now that you mention it I do rember it hurting a little when I sneezed and laughed, but it was well worth it and it didn't srop mefrom laughing. :cool: Tom

I'm no stranger to post surgical pain but for some reason I'm thinking the RNY pain is going to be horrible. I had a very huge umbilical hernia surgery in June 2011 and the pain was not that bad at all except for the first day. The majority of my large intestine was herniated and had to be stufffed and sewn back into place. I was lucky to have had an exceptionally gifted surgeon. In fact, the surgeon that did the hernia repair mentored the surgeon who is going to do my RNY during his internship many moons ago. Hopefully the surgery skills rubbed off *lol*. Hopefully, the pain medication Gods will be extra generous for the first few days following surgery.

Back