• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Problems

AshleyJGY

I just had my surgery last Wednesday, Sept. 11th. I had internal bleeding and required blood transfusions and the works. My emotions are all over the board, and I am questioning my decision to do this, but it's too late. It wasn't what I expected or wanted it to be. It was supposed to be easy! I know I am early in the recovery, but I'm just feeling overwhelmed today. Did anyone else have problems with surgery? The good news is that I finally got to have something other than chicken broth today! I had cream of tomato soup!

I didn't have problems with my surgery but I know several people who had bleeding problems like yours. They are not at all that uncommon, a missed stitch or a slight slip of the knife. It happens and is correctable when caught in time, like yours. The risks for surgery are not zero as was explained to you before the surgery. I hope you are doing better now and your problems are under control. In the long run you won't regret your decision. If a longer life and healthier life style are your goals. I hope and you are on that path as we speak. Good luck, our prayers are with you. Put this minor set back behind you and carry on. Tomato soup, life is sweet.

Last edited:
Ashley, I just had mine on Sep 10 -- the day before you. And I'm right there with you on the emotional roller-coaster. I've spoken to several bariatric nurses though, and there are simple explanations. First, morphine. Morphine and its derivatives have mood alteration as a common side effect, particularly when you are in withdrawal from it. I was on dilaudid in the hospital this time for several days, and I'm still feeling the after-effects. I had back surgery in 2007, and I couldn't even watch sad commercials on TV without crying. It was ridiculous! Second, hormones. It's not well-studied, but it IS documented that surgeries involving the gut, and the resulting rapid weight loss, causes hormonal imbalance. I've seen it referred to as "surgical menopause," if you want a search term. My strong advice is to stay strong, stick to the plan, and find a live person to talk to about it. During my pre-op life skills classes, they stressed that this is not the easy way out -- and I'm sure you heard the same thing along the way from someone too. But this IS the best long-term solution there is right now, and you were strong enough to make the decision to pursue it. See it through. I know you can.

--Ian

Post OP stomach pain

I'm four weeks post on monday and I still feel constantly nauseous and everytime I eat or drink I get a pain right under neath my breast bone. Is this normal for everyone?

I'm four weeks post on monday and I still feel constantly nauseous and everytime I eat or drink I get a pain right under neath my breast bone. Is this normal for everyone?

Yes it is normal and it means you are full. These are the new signs that we have to recognize from our bodies.

Congrats

I am 4 weeks post surgery. I see my surgeon on Tuesday for my second follow up. I should start regular foods this week with his blessing. I too had an emotional time right after surgery. I wanted to dry all the time. I questioned my decision to have the surgery. I felt like I had given up everything I loved (food) and that I was going to have to do without for the rest of my life. But once I got off of the full liquid diet and got onto soft/pureed foods my attitude changed. I cooked really flavorful homemade soups and pureed them. They were tasty and satisfying. I think right now my biggest fear is eating too much. Sometimes I am full after a few bites. and then there are times when 1/4 cup of tuna or chicken salad or cottage cheese is a perfect serving and I don't really feel full but I know that is all I should eat. I know I am not drinking enough. I try but just can't drink the 64 oz of liquids. I think I am doing well. I try to stay off the scale. I'll wait until Tuesday and see what it is at the doctor's office. But, I did have to buy some blouses for work that were a size smaller. Yay me.

Kathy:cool:

Ashley, how is it going? Are you able to drink your water and protein? Are you able to move around some? Let us know. Be brave, and be proud to taking the steps to a healthier you.

Back