• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post OP

This is my first post I had surgery December 4th only spent one night in the hospital. As of my December 13 I have lost 17 pounds. I am off for three weeks, after the third week could I start up at the gym or just stay to walking? I have done tones of reading but man it is so over whelming. Any Ideas?

Hi Namartinez,
You and I had the same procedure on the same day but you went home a day earlier than I did. I was told not to do any kind of lifting or stretching of any kind for 4 weeks. As well as no other exercise except walking and I could walk as much as tolerated. You're right, the information is absolutely overwhelming so do not hesitate to come to this site to post questions. There will always be someone here that is a step ahead of us willing to lead the way for us. :) I saw my Dr today for my first post op visit and she said that the walking habits that we start now are the ones that we need to keep. We will loose most of what we need to loose in the first 9 months so exercise is very important. Before surgery, I was going to the gym and walking on the treadmill for about 30-40 min. Your physical therapist should have let you know but you can certainly ask your physician in regard to the amount of activity that you can do now.
Keep posting questions and let us know how you are doing, we are here to help each other.
KarenLB

WOW 17 pounds since dec 13 is alot of weight in less than a week!!! I was done on Dec 3, weighed 203 going into hospital, weighted 217 getting out, and am now 197.6 pounds so losing less than a pound a day. NOT sure if that is good or bad. OTHERS who were done on Dec 3 or4 how much have you guys lost. I am walking about 1/4 mil a day. will start to go to the Club soon. Yesterday was feeling very weak, today feel better. NOT on pureed diet yet, will see doc on Thurday and see what they say. Have eaten Yoplait 100 yogurt, some cottage cheese without fat and popsicles. I wish it were 17 pounds but........

Namartinez-I think you need to wait at least 4 weeks to go to the gym and that may be pushing things. You will still not be healed internally. I think you need to get clearance from the surgeon before you begin any strenuous activity. It's for your own safety.

namartinez,
Pat, Sandie and Karen are right, it's too soon to go to the gym. Walking is what my Doc recommended, as much as I could tolerate. I was up to 3.5 miles a day within two weeks. I did not start working out at the gym until I was six weeks out from surgery and then only have my Doc said it was Ok. I would highly recommend talking to him/her about it when you go in for your followup. Good luck and let us know how it's going.

:cool:

My surgery was Dec 3 and I have lost 13 pounds. I was told by my doctor to walk until he tells me otherwise.

I am 1 week out today. Had my surgery Dec 14. Onto full liquid diet and as much walking as I can tolerate. Down 14 pounds:) Congrats to all of you as well. Still a little sore. I just got my drain tube out today. Feeling a little better knowing it is finally gone.

Thats great I get weak too, like today was up early and started on the Christmas cookies by noon felt so tired had to lie down. Walking a little but am up to 20 mins a day not much but working up to it cant wait to start the gym.

update I have another doctor apt on January 4th with my surgen than primary care so yes i am waiting till they give me the ok to go to gym for now only walking. with this surgery I hope to feel less pain on my knees. but as of now I feel great get alittle tired at times but feeling great about this change;)

I also had surgery 12/4. Went in 292, came home 308. Lost that, then had emergency surgery on 12/15. Went in 292, came home 306. I am 293 today so still no loss. I've had a ROUGH go though. Hoping to start losing soon. GOOD FOR YOU! I'd take it easy for another week or so. Your body will let you know...

Back