• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-op liquid diet

BamaBaby

when they say 7 days of a full liquid diet. What does full liquid diet consist of? In the book they (Dr office) gave me says " No sugar added shakes---limit one to two per day" what is this, a protein shake or milk shake? Help Please

My appointment with the dietician is tomorrow. Call your dietician - they are supposed to be there for any questions. Good luck.

Your Team should have given you the information-it is their job. So, get ahold of them and ask. They like questions it is what they are there for.

Carol

Hi Bama Baby,

I think the best advice is to call your Dietician, however this is the list they gave me, all the clear liquids (you can see through) plus skim milk(what you can tolerate like rice or soy),Soup creamed or blended, Frozen yogurt, Pudding or custard (sugar free, fat free), Thin hot cereal,Yogurt (again sugar free and fat free) and protein shakes (I was allowed two per day on full liquids). Your list might be different - this list is from my orientation handout.

Joy

I think every dr's office is different My pre-0p is 2 weeks of liquids no milkshakes nothing than is thicker than the consistency of milk. plus stay away from acidic things like tomato soup and juice , orange juice etc.... So definetly call your ofiice and get direction.

Thanks to EVERYONE for answering me!!!!! I did call the Dr.'s today, and it is a little bit of everyone's list. Thanks again.

I am also in Alabama, having my surgery Nov. 27. I'm having mine at Mobile Infirmary in Mobile. Where are you having yours, if you don't mind me asking? How is the full liquids diet going? I start mine tomorrow.

Hi, WOW someone from down here. I am having mine done in Mobile too. The diet is going great so far. Started at 258.5 now it's 245 as of a half hour ago. LOL I start the clear liquid tomorrow. Not really looking forward to this diet. I tried to get a lot of protein in everyday. From everything I have read, that protein will really eat that fat. I also tried to stay with just the four items they talk about in the book, that page has been my bible for the past 6 days. My Dr is Dr Weinstein. Who do you have? Hopefully, I go home before you get there. Nothing personal, I just want any problems that will cause me to stay. LOL I'll send you a private message with my info. Take care..... Sending Hugs

Thanks for responding! That's great! So, you've lost ~13 pounds on your pre-op diet so far!! My doctor is Dr. Galloway. He's in the other group of doctors besides Weinstein/Lane/Ringold/Hannon. I saw Dr. Hannon a couple of years ago, but didn't have any comorbidity conditions and my BMI wasn't high enough, so I didn't qualify. For no reason in particular I switched to Dr. Galloway, and in Sept 2012 I finally qualified with BMI and insurance FINALLY approved me!!

sMy instructtions are 4 protein drinks a day, then dinner is a lean protein dinner with 4 oz of chicken or turkey or whatever and low starch vegatable for the pre op diet for 2 weeks or in my case 9 days. Used to lose fat on liver and lose some weight.
You had your surgery yesterday so no big eats for Thanksgiving, howp you are doing well, let us know how you are doing, y'all.

Back