• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Problems with the Veterans Administration

omahajimmyt

I have been trying to get information from the VA about bariatric surgery off and on now for over 2 years. I have been lied to, given misleading information and stalled all of this time.
I am 61 years old, 330 lbs and have a BMI just short of super morbidly obese and yet I can't even get the VA to discuss whether I am qualified to get the surgery.
Any ideas? I have a very limited income and no insurance. Even the Affordable Care Act would be too expensive with the premiums and deductibles .

I have been trying to get information from the VA about bariatric surgery off and on now for over 2 years. I have been lied to, given misleading information and stalled all of this time.
I am 61 years old, 330 lbs and have a BMI just short of super morbidly obese and yet I can't even get the VA to discuss whether I am qualified to get the surgery.
Any ideas? I have a very limited income and no insurance. Even the Affordable Care Act would be too expensive with the premiums and deductibles .

I heard the President say if you dont have money for the premiums for the Affordable Care Act that the government will pay it for you...

I would call the Bariatric Centers in your area. They may know more about if the VA will cover you.

Good Luck!!!

I heard the President say if you dont have money for the premiums for the Affordable Care Act that the government will pay it for you...

I would call the Bariatric Centers in your area. They may know more about if the VA will cover you.

Good Luck!!!

Great idea Cheyenne!

Yes call a good surgeon's office. Sign up for a informational seminar and ask the questions while at the seminar and then get the surgeon on the side and discuss your situation.

Ralph

Cheyenne,
I have coverage from the VA so I would not be eligible for the ACA but I will check into other centers for info. Thank you!

Ralph,
I am going to contact a center that did the surgery on one of the local TV personalities to see if they offer informational seminars. I also plan to be a thorn in the side of the VA until I get some answers. I'm not sure if I even want the surgery or if I am medically qualified but I'll never be satisfied until I get some answers.
Thanks!

Are you the veteran or your spouse? My dad is a veteran and my mom was eligible for Champ VA as his spouse. It usually pays for her copays on many things. As far as wls I am not sure. Like the others have said join a seminar and pull the surgeon to the side and ask your questions and tell him/her of your situation they may have suggestions. Good luck and keep us updated. You never know there may be someone else out there that may be in your situation as well.

TillieS

TillieS,
I am the veteran and get complete, free health care. The pre-op, surgery and follow-up would be completely free. My only problem is I can't get anyone to talk to me about it. Last year a Dr gave me a consult with the surgery team but a nurse called my up the next day and told me the apt was cancelled. I had to lose some weight and keep it off for some time before they would even talk to me. I was so angry I hung up before getting the exact answers. I was told by one Dr that the VA doesn't even do WLS. When I confronted his lie he then said I would have to move to another state for a year to even be considered.
I'm 61 and retired so I have plenty of free time to fight them. My only real concern is how much time I have left at this weight.
Thanks!

Is the VA hospital or clinic that you go to the only one in your state? Maybe another VA hospital or clinic could give you answers.

TillieS

The one in Salt LAke is the only full hospital in the state. I get excellent service there except for this one thing.

Are there any other surgeons in the hospital that you could have another consult with that will listen to all of your questions and answer them accordingly?

So sorry to hear of your struggles. As someone who has had to advocate for a family member who was entitled to a benefit I hear your struggle. I too got different answers from who ever happened to answer the phone. They should have a booklet that will tell you what your benefits cover. This is what I would reference when I spoke to them. Also there should be a patient advocate so try and find out who that is. The American Legion was also helpful to my Dad. If you know who your local representative is, you can contact them. Eventually this is what I had to do after 1 year of fighting with them. Within 2 days we were able to get the benefit my sister was entitled to. Don't give up. I know it is one of the most difficult systems to deal with, but if you are a veteran you are entitled to heath benefits. Wishing you all the best.

TillieS,
I'll have to go through a Dr to get a consult but the surgical dept is who turned me down for an interview last year. Will try with my weight loss Dr Tue.

Kim,
The big problem is this surgery is not performed at the hospital in Salt Lake City. They would have to pay for a local hospital to do it or send me to another state. I feel they are giving me the run around to not have to do either.
I found the following in online VA documents.
WEIGHT LOSS
For adults with a BMI greater than or equal to 40 kg/m2 there is good evidence from numerous high
quality systematic reviews that bariatric surgery is the only effective therapy for promoting clinically
significant weight loss (ECRI, 2005; Maggard et al., 2005; Shekelle et al., 2004).

Morbidly obese patients (i.e., those with BMI greater than 40) do not usually achieve substantial weight
loss as a result of lifestyle modifications and drug therapy. Only bariatric surgery has been
demonstrated to consistently result in profound and long-term weight loss for the morbidly obese.

I think the only thing I can do is go in and fight like Hell. Good thing I'm Irish, I have that going for me!

I feel like with you being a veteran you shouldn't have to fight for anything. You have fought for your country and did a great service. Crap like this pisses me off. You shouldn't be given the run around or anything else. I hope all goes well for you on Tuesday. Good luck.

Kim,
The big problem is this surgery is not performed at the hospital in Salt Lake City. They would have to pay for a local hospital to do it or send me to another state. I feel they are giving me the run around to not have to do either.
I found the following in online VA documents.
WEIGHT LOSS
For adults with a BMI greater than or equal to 40 kg/m2 there is good evidence from numerous high
quality systematic reviews that bariatric surgery is the only effective therapy for promoting clinically
significant weight loss (ECRI, 2005; Maggard et al., 2005; Shekelle et al., 2004).

Morbidly obese patients (i.e., those with BMI greater than 40) do not usually achieve substantial weight
loss as a result of lifestyle modifications and drug therapy. Only bariatric surgery has been
demonstrated to consistently result in profound and long-term weight loss for the morbidly obese.

I think the only thing I can do is go in and fight like Hell. Good thing I'm Irish, I have that going for me!

Good Luck to you! I hope all goes well!

Is there a way to find out if other veterans have had Bariatric Surgery?

Cheyenne

Ralph,
I am going to contact a center that did the surgery on one of the local TV personalities to see if they offer informational seminars. I also plan to be a thorn in the side of the VA until I get some answers. I'm not sure if I even want the surgery or if I am medically qualified but I'll never be satisfied until I get some answers.
Thanks!
At your current weight I can tell you that you are qualified unless you are a 7. or 8 foot giant.
You qualify if your Bimini is over 40 or it is 35 and you have medical. Issues such as diabetes or heart disease or high blood pressure. You can lookup calculation for Bimini and enter your weight and height to get your bmi

omahajimmyt,

Do they have the MOVE program at the VA hospital where you are located. I was doing some research on the VA.org website and the MOVE program info that I was reading is the weight loss program for the VA. It covers all types of weight loss programs including bariatric surgery. It also goes over the criteria and guidelines for the WLS. You may already know all of this but, in case you didn't I just wanted to share what I found. Good Luck tomorrow at your appointment.

TillieS

Cheyenne,
I have written to the VA for that info, should hear back this week. Today I am going to the patient advocates office to file a complaint against the hospital for only treating my obesity in a way that even they say is ineffective and refusing to even discuss the treatment that they say works.

WEIGHT LOSS

Last edited:
Back