• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein question

Kimber

Im just looking ahead. What brands of shakes and sources of protein have you found that works best getting the amount needed right after surgery? Thanks Kimmer

Im just looking ahead. What brands of shakes and sources of protein have you found that works best getting the amount needed right after surgery? Thanks Kimmer
Hey Kimmer Welcome to the group! Congrats on your upcoming surgery, the Protein i use is Pro Performance Soy Protein Chocolate, it's very yummy and i can drink it with no problems

My favorite is Muscle Milk. Very high in protein (32 grams if you use the powder instead of the ready to drink) and very tasty.

Welcome Kimber-Premier brand from Costco and Sam's Club taste good; these are pre made shakes and come in a box of 18 shakes. Unjury makes a couple of flavors of protein powder thatnyou mix with milk, soymilk, rice milk, almont milk, etc. The strawberry sorbet is made to mix with water but can be mixed with milks too. These are available on-line at Unjury.com.

There are literally dozens of brands available. Just be sure you use only the ones that are very low carb and have no more than 4 grams of sugar otherwise it can cause nausea, vomiting and dumping. You should be getting handouts from your surgeon or nutritionist with guidelines on how to select protein shakes and your pre and post surgical meal plans. Usually they list some of the acceptable brands of shakes. Most surgeons also sell protein drinks at their office locations and you may be able to get a couple of samples to try :)

Crymsynlady How are you doing? I have no been able to get the protein in...I'm starting to freak out because I know how important it is but I'm trying all sorts of things and can't stand them. Where do you get the protien stuff you were talking about ? If anyone has any suggestions of something that I can try I'd be greatful. I don't wanna start losing my hair....I'm a hsirstylist and hair is my business. :(

My doctor and nutritionist says that whey protein isolate is the best protein for absorption. I don't like it very much but there are some which I can tolerate. NECTAR I find is yummy. It is very fruity and I crave fruit. ISOPURE liquid drinks like grape and green apple I can also tolerate. Everyone likes and dislikes some of the flavors. It is best to try some. My friend loves the orange and I cannot stand the orange. She hates the apple and I like the apple so everyone is different. What I like about it is that it comes in glass bottles and sold cold at THE VITAMIN SHOPPE. They are a bit over $4 a bottle though. I also drink the Premier Shakes from COSTCO. I hear it is also sold at SAMS CLUB. They are the best tasting but they are only part whey protein isolate. I make sure I don't just drink that type of protein so to get a variety. If you do not get enough protein in a day then you will start losing your hair, your muscles will get weak etc.
Before I can finish a protein drink I feel it irritates my throat. I have a hard time finishing it but I do. I may take me a couple of hours to finish 11 ounces but I do eventually finish. I do it because it is what I have to do. Good luck with your search and do let us know what you find suitable for your tastes.

Doesn't muscle milk have a lot of sugar in it? My son says it tastes horrible. All tastes are different.

Muscle Milk has a low carb version that can be used by bariatric patients. Check the label to make sure you are buying the right one. I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for the taste but almost everyone on this site who drinks it says it tastes very good.

WALMART. EAS 17 gm protein,3 grams carbs, and0 suger. come in three flavors. they are so easy and I can tell you that trying to figure out early on about your diet is hard. cream of wheat cottage cheesemyogurt,sugar free popsicles are so Easy and when you can add hard boiled or scrambled eggs.. write often and we will all try to help if we ccan.

Back