• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein Shakes

What protein shakes do you all recommend? I really love anything banana and would love a nice banana flavored shake..one with a strong banana flavor? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated though! :)

Muscle milk has one thats an rtd 42 grams protein. You can get the light ones too but not as good ,in my opinion.i like mine either in the bullet with ice or really really cold!

Hi Jamie-Sue,

I use Unjury because they are recommended by my Center. Whatever you decide try to get samples so you can try out several different ones and see what you really like. Unjury will provide a sample pack for you to try. Many give recipes as well. My Center gives recipes where you can use vanilla and add strawberries or bananas (probably after you go on full liquids though.) I mainly mix mine with nonfat milk, and crystal light, depending on the flavor I want. I believe Pat does the same. EAS EDGE shakes are pre made and come in quite handy. They only have 17 Grams of protein but I like them. (especially the chocolate). They come in a four pack for about $5.00 at Walmart and some grocery stores. I would recommend trying different ones before surgery and to ask which ones your Center recommends and see if they have some recipes and even samples to share with you. As with everything we are all different and have different tastes. Again, good luck on your journey.

Jamie-Sue, I never heard of a banana shake but would love it if I could find one :) :) :) Like Javajoy stated, I use Unjury powder and EAS pre-made. I have an idea on how to make your own banana shake. Get some sugar free banana flavored syrup and mix it into a plain or vanilla protein drink. The store on this forum sells the sugar free syrups but their choice is limited and they don't have banana :( You can find the banana flavored syrup on netrition.com. Brand names are DaVinci and Torini. One or both will have the banana flavor. I use mostly DaVinci brand for flavored coffee and find the flavors to be very close to natural tasting. Please let me know how it tastes if you try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pat, just follow the link I posted and where it has flavores there is a drop down box that says choose an option and highlight banana, I like to have a scoop of strawberry and banana it is sooo goood. :cool:

Thanks Tom, I'll check it out. I LOVE banana and sometimes can find sugar free banana popsicles at the store. One time I bought so many there wasn't enough room in my freezer and I had to ask my next door neighbor to put them in his *LOL*

I really love anything banana and would love a nice banana flavored shake..one with a strong banana flavor? :)

Congratulations on your surgery date, Jamie-Sue!

Banana is a favorite of mine, too. Many brands offer a banana flavor. Just look around and you will find several to choose from. Amazon, Netrition and VitaCost are just a few of the online vendors for protein supplements. I don't know if our Forum Host offers anything in banana but it's worth checking out.

Be sure to check with your surgeon. S/he may have a specific type or brand of protein supplement they want you to use post-op.

Back