• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein

countrigirl

Im having trouble drinking my protien shakes,I get nauseated every time I drink them so have not been drinking any suggestions?

Hi Countrygirl, my name is Tom. You did not say if you have had surgery yet so I will guess you have had it. Was it RnY, Sleeve or Banding? Anyways since your stomach is just a little pouch now you may be dinking to much shake at once or there is too much surgar in the brand you are drinking ausing dumping syndome. Also after surgery things that tasted good to us before surgery don't and are not palatable. Maybe try tasting different protien drinkd until you find something that agrees with you. Also speak with a dietician and/or your doctor if you still cant keep anything down, you need the protien to help your body heal up after surgery. Let us know how thing go. :cool:

I had my surgery in 2004.. and STILL have 2-3 shakes a day.. just past month or so I notice I get really nauseous with my shakes.. not sure what is going on.. so would be curious of what is said :)

I've never been a milk drinker -- especially chocolate or strawberry, etc. so I've had a hard time with the protein shakes too. I have just told myself to drink it and get over it. I'm pretty fussy about the kind of protein drink it is, however, because some are just plain nasty. Try a few different kinds. Most of the online suppliers will send you samples (American Bariatrics does). Make sure they are Isolate in nature. Also I found an unflavored protein powder that works best for me. I stir it into milk and can then get it down. Also, there is a product called Proasis that has 25 grams of protein per shot. They are about 3 swallows. Only 5 grams of carbs so not a bad substitute for the protein shakes. I don't think they taste the best but three swallows is do-able for me.

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am drinking the protein drinks. I use water instead of milk, as it is easier for my stomach to handle. I have tried several brands, but I find I like Unjury the best. The vanilla is great with a pouch of Orange Sunrise (Crystal Light) with 8 oz of water, tastes like an orange creme, and the calories are low.

What brands is everyone using, and what do you find that works best for you? And I am curious what methods you use to learn to take small sips instead of gulps, I tend to gulp my drinks especially if extremely thirsty.

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am drinking the protein drinks. I use water instead of milk, as it is easier for my stomach to handle. I have tried several brands, but I find I like Unjury the best. The vanilla is great with a pouch of Orange Sunrise (Crystal Light) with 8 oz of water, tastes like an orange creme, and the calories are low.

What brands is everyone using, and what do you find that works best for you? And I am curious what methods you use to learn to take small sips instead of gulps, I tend to gulp my drinks especially if extremely thirsty.

I also like Unjury products. The Strawberry Sorbet is made to use with water and is easy on the stomach. When I am having a hard time getting down a pre-made shake I reach for the Unjury Strawberry Sorbet. The Unjury unflavored protein powder is also good to mix into things like bouillon, soups, sugar free chocolate milk, instant mashed potatoes, almost anything really. You can hardly taste it so it's a good way to disguise a high protein meal or snack.

As far as getting used to taking small sips, just keep trying. I started practicing this and also chewing everything very thoroughly for more than a month before surery so I would be ready. Once you have your surgery and accidently take a big gulp of anything you will get a rude reminder from your stomach. They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit so you should start now.

Pat, thanks for the advice. I am trying to sip using a small medicine cup or a plastic shot glass. I am having issues eating slowly though. Last night I had a 1/2 a chicken breast and some steamed veggies, I used a small plate, but had dinner eaten in 10 minutes, and I know I am supposed to take 30 minutes to eat or drink my meals. Any suggestions??

Pat, thanks for the advice. I am trying to sip using a small medicine cup or a plastic shot glass. I am having issues eating slowly though. Last night I had a 1/2 a chicken breast and some steamed veggies, I used a small plate, but had dinner eaten in 10 minutes, and I know I am supposed to take 30 minutes to eat or drink my meals. Any suggestions??

There is something you need to know, after surgery you shouldn't drink anything with your meals within 30 minutes before or after eating. It affects proper digestion. You should be instructed on the specifics by the nutritionist before your surgery, it will be part of your "orientation".

As soon as you fix your plate cut up all of your food into small pieces. Eat one piece at a time making sure you chew thoroughly. Put your fork down between bites. After a few small bites wait 2 or 3 minutes then resume the same process. Like I mentioned, after surgery you will need to wait 30 minutes before having any liquids before and after eating a meal. It wouldn't hurt to practice now even if you only wait 10 or 15 minutes before drinking then gradually increase the waiting time until you are at 30 minutes. I started practicing this about 3 weeks before surgery. You'll do just fine.

Hi NanaG, This is Tom. I'll be 2 years out this month. Don't worry too much about the amount of time it takes you to finish your meals just working on chewing everything up well is the most important thing to remember. The eating slowly should come after surgery, more than likely what seems like very little food now will feel like a chore to eat after your surgey but remember to listen to your body and stop when your full and supplament with protien drinks to make sure you get enough protien you will do fine, Pat is right about the water, that was one of the hardest things for me, I should have practiced that pre op. Keep up the good work, whatever you practice noew will help you post op. :cool: Tom

hi
Nana67
the orange sunrise sounds like a good choice. I too haven't had my surgery but still looking for the right drink , with right price.I am going to see about different comapnies that offer a few free samples. I already made the mistake of buying the wrong protien drink mix, it was cheaper but dr. say's I don't need all the extra amio acids and stuff that's in there.I thought it was a good choice because of 28 grams protein, but it's something weight lifters use, not bariatric patients. I will continue to shop & not give up for one day I'll have my surgery and want to make sure I make proper choices.
wishing you continued success
Donna

Back