• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question about portion size

Kim M

I know this sounds silly, but I was told there is no such thing as a stupid question. I just started eating oatmeal, as per my nutritionist instructions. So I was told to eat 2 oz. So is this dry or cooked? I measured out 1 oz. dry and was unable to finish it. Then I tried 1/2 oz dry and still wasn't able to finish it. So today I did 1/4 oz dry and was able to finish it. Oatmeal grows as it cooks so I am a bit confused. I have not tried any grain yet and I guess I would have the same question. Any help would be appreciated. My nutritionist is only in 1 day a week and very hard to get in touch with so I thought someone here would surely know.

Hi Kim, I can't really stand oatmeal so it hasn't been a issue for me but try 2 ozs cooked it should equal about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup, give that a try. :cool: Tom

Kim-Usually the portion sizes are for cooked (prepared) foods. Early after surgery the portion sizes are usually 2 ounces, or 1/4 cup and increase as time goes by and the pouch heals. More than likely measuring food in a cup is better than weighing on a scale because you are dealing with trying to fit the perfect amount into a tiny pouch. Different foods have different densities depending on what you are eating. For example, if you try to eat 2 ounces of dry cereal it will be waaaaaaayyyy too much compared to eating 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup which is probably an ounce or less :) :) :)

Back