• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question...Pre-Op Liquid Diet

I have noticed that some of you have had to take the pre-op liquid diet one to two weeks before surgery and some of you don't have to take it at all.

Why the difference???

1Stepatatime-It's the surgeon's preference. You would have to ask them to know the real answer but it may be due to the type of surgery and their technique. Each have their own twist on it based on theior training and experience. For example, my surgeon only removes 8 to 10 inches of small intestine and another surgeon may remove 5 to 10 feet.

So many things to ask the doctor at my scheduling. Thank you, Pat99 for your answer. I am so impressed with this support group. It has been so imformative. I hope that I might be able to help you at one time.

Have a great weekend.

Hi 1 Step at a time, my surgeon had me on the pre op liquid diet to help shrink my liver however some are on it longer than two weeks to help them lose weight, but overall the main result is to shrink the liver to help the surgeon, it makes it easier for them and aids in our healing prosses helping us heal faster. :cool: Tom

Thank you Tom for your imput. That's really helpful. I see by your stats that you are coming along very good. People like you are Newbys inspiration.
Have a good one. Keep up the great work.

Back