• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Raw food

Kim M

So I have not tried to eat salad and all that goes with it. I have had several fruits which I have not had any problem with. So my question is when did you start to eat raw veggies? Also was it harder to digest. I still am having trouble digesting broccili that is cooked, but I eat it anyway.

Hi Kim,

The only lettuce I can eat is iceberg, all the others seem do not like my lapband. Raw veggies are still hard for me but I can eat almost any of them is if they are well cooked. My issues are with how well any food is chewed and how fast I eat. I don't tolerate dense meats yet and after I eat my meat I don't have lots of room for veggies. Of course the issues are not quite the same with a lapband.

Kim-You should have been given written material regarding the 4 meal plan phases and when you can start trying to reintroduce certain foods back into your diet. According to the information I was given it states crunchy raw veggies shouldn't be eaten until 8-12 weeks post surgery. I probably shouldn't post this but I started eating salads 5 weeks post surgery because I was having overwhelming cravings for raw veggies. I was lucky not to have had any bad side effects. Make sure to start out with just a few bites and make sure to chew, chew and chew some more. You don't need a piece of raw veggie plugging up the opening of your pouch.

Hi Pats right you really got to chew chew, I didnt chew some raw carrots enough not to long ago and boy did I regreat. I started with a very small grean saled with a little raspberrie vinegerett I had a little bit of chicken thigh cut small pieces and a little bit of tomato cubed.

Peggygoforth-Yeah, what's up with those trouble making carrots? *LOL* Not too long ago I ate 6 or 8 raw baby carrots and I swear I chewed the heck out of them. I must have gotten a small piece stuck in the pouch opening because I was so miserable for over an hour. I kept sipping very small amounts of fluids until things cleared up. I hope that never happens again.

Babysitter-Just try whatever non-starch vegetable you like. Just make sure you chew it extremely well. No one said you can't have carrots. If you can't tolerate them then you shouldn't have them.

Like Pat said you just got to chew, chew, chew those carrots. You can eat raw broccli and caluflower to but again chew, chew, chew. ( I know, I know my spelling sucks LOL)

food dont like me

i have good days and then i have bad days ughh i get so frustrated
i ate fish tonight and after 2 bites i felt like it was stuck in my chest next thing you know i was standing over the toilet bringing it all up
so frustrated with my surgery decision :(

hang in there

I have had a very challengeing time with throwing up. I am now very happy to say its been two weeks since throwing up. its been about 11 weeks after surgery. I really try hard to take small bites and chew chew chew! I'm also drinking alot of hot tea about 30min before eating. This all seems to be helping me. I also think it just takes time to get use to the new you! HANG IN THERE!! It should get easier if any doubts you should talk to doc and make sure nothing is wrong!Good Luck!

Hi Pbradley, first welcome to the forum. Great group of people here. Second, You are down 41 pounds in the first month, that is fantastic. That you are on solid food is great. The only time I have problems is when I eat too fast or don't chew properly. Could either of those be the cause? I've learned to put down my fork between bites, trying to wait 30 seconds after swallowing before picking it up again. For me, eating slow is the hardest thing I have to do. Others have noted that your taste buds will be changing on a regular basis for a while yet, so something that was good today may not be good tomorrow. Regardless of all that, you ARE LOSING and losing a lot. Remember the ultimate goal is to get healthy.

:cool:

Back