• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Reactive Hypoglycemia

DPT

Hi. I am 18 months post surgery and have lost 140 pounds. I am very happy with the outcome but I am starting to have trouble with reactive hypoglycemia. I have seen an endocrinologist and my nutritionist. It seems manageable with medication and diet, but it has been a huge learning curve for me. Between that and low blood pressure I am a lot more high maintenance to be sure. I went online and it looks like a lot of post surgery folks struggle with these conditions. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions, feedback for me. Thanks.:D

DPT-Welcome to the forum. As you know this is a serious medical condition and is best managed by a medical professional. I would follow the recommendations given to you by your endocrinologist with input from your nutritionist. If for some reason you are not happy them then please find another medical professional. I would not risk following advice from anyone who is not a medical professional even if they are being treated for the same condition. Good luck and please come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing :)

I was a diabetic pre-surgery and so far so good but I still have to follow the same plan I did pre-surgery like checking my blood sugar, diabetic eye exams, 6 month blood work, etc.

Hello Pat. I am being followed by a very thorough medical team. I appreciate the suggestions of others with this condition, however, as it is very common 16-18 months out. There isn't a clear treatment for reactive hypoglycemia among the weight loss surgery community. There is still a lot to be learned. My understanding is that many people think that they are dumping and actually have an underlying condition of hypoglycemia.

Hi DPT. I havent had those problems but I was just wondering, were you hyperglicemic and hypertensive pre surgery, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. I was hypertensive pre op and within a week post op I was off my BP meds because my BP was to low and making my feel faint, dizzy and light headed, but no blood surgar problems to speak of unless I don't eat in time, then I get shakey and weak like my blood surgar is bottoming out. You've done a great job getting to your goal weight, congratulations. :cool: Tom

Back