• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Saw surgeon yesterday and still having pain in legs.

Kim M

I have never liked my surgeon, but after meeting with him yesterday I dislike him even more. I explained to him about the pain in my legs and numbness in one foot. He never left his chair and said"you have nueropothy". He goes on to tell me he did not operate on that part of my body. I respond I did not have it 3 weeks ago. He fianlly gets up and examines my lower legs and mumbles that I don't have edema. I suggest that there may be a deficency and he disagrees. His PA steps in and thank goodness suggests we order some bloodwork. He reluctantly does so. I am waiting for results. I just called the office and she said she did not get the results back yet and will call me when they come back. I came home and searched the net for WLS and nueropothy and thousands of articles come up. I hardly slept at all last night. I had the surgery to improve my health so I could continue to work. I have now had to postpone my return date to work until I find out what is going on. Has anyone experienced nueropothy after surgery?

My husband had a similar medical problem and also had an arrogant surgeon (not WLS surgery). He ended up having a blood clot in the artery that feeds blood to your legs. Not trying to scare you, just don't let yourself get blown off by the surgeon when you feel like something is wrong.

I am not certain about the relationship between WLS and neuropathy, I do know it is related to diabetes, if you do not have a history with that or even if you do I would suggest making an appointment with your primary doctor, they probably will listen to your concerns and give you a better examination because blood clots can happen after surgery. Good luck. :cool: Tom

I haven't had any experience with that, just with recurring nerve pain and infectious bacteria, but my prayers are with you. Don't back down from that arrogant doctor, make sure he checks everything.

Diabetes, pinched nerves and spine issues can cause neuropathies in your legs (and arms). There are other causes as well. Ask your doctor to schedule an EMG. It will detect if it is a neuropathy.

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond. Was bummed out yesterday and just stayed home and didn't get out and try to walk. I finally got a call late in the day from the doctor. He said something came up in the bloodwork, which was unrelated to my surgery. He told me to schedule an appt with an endroconologist as I had elevated readings of my parathyroid. He also said my Vitamin d was low and was still waiting for my calcium and B1 tests to come back. I asked if the parathyroid could have anything to do with the pain in my legs and he said it could. More doctors- not happy.

I am sorry to hear you have more test but it is best to get to the bottm of this sooner than later, it is good that the Nurse urged the Doctor to run some tests or his ego may have led his diagnosis instead of sound medical findings. Good luck my thoughts and prayers are with you:cool: Tom

Some of these doctors are so touchy-- but I would think a bariatric surgeon would think of the whole system, not just the part he/she worked on.

I saw my PCP today and she said I was low in magnesium and this could be a factor in the cramping and pain in my legs. I stopped at the health food store and was able to get it in a powder form which I can mix with water. Ya I don't have to chew another nasty sweet tasting vitamin! I am still waiting for results of calcium. It's some kind of specail calcium test. The endroconologist won't even schedule an appt with me until the test is back. Hurry up and wait. Hoping for some resolution soon.

Let's hope that this can all be narrowed down to vitamin deficencies, it would make sense seeing how you just had WLS a month ago and you need to get your vitamin levels adjusted to your post op needs. :cool: Tom

Back