• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

scared of the complications

Lynnell

So as a newbie to the site I am now scared of the surgery aftermath regarding the eating or lack thereof that is being mentioned in these threads. Is there anyone out there that can give me some positive feedback about the surgery? I am seeing tons of weight being lost - which is the primary goal for us all. But at what cost? I just need some reinforcement that I am making the right decision. Someone must be having fewing problems then those who are blogging. Can someone chime in and put my mind to rest!

Lynnell-I have not had one single bad experience with food since my RNY on 2/27/12. I didn't want to "eat" during phase 1 because I wasn't hungry. I sipped on broth and tea anyway to stay hydrated. I was able to eat better during phases 2 and 3, no nausea or vomiting at all. Phase 3 didn't cause any problems except I didn't care for the consistency of the food.

I think those in the forum who didn't have any issues with food just didn't bother mentioning it. Talk to your surgeon and nutritionist about the complications you are concerned about. When I discussed this with mine I was told that most, not all, nausea and vomiting is caused by not following the prescribed meal plans and trying to eat certain foods too early in the program and trying to eat forbidden foods, especially those with refined sugars and high fat content.

Make sure you are comfortable with the surgery before you go ahead with it. Knowledge is power. Learn all you can. I started this journey almost 6 years ago so I had plenty of time to become educated. My surgery delay was insurance related. Make sure you come back to the forum to let everyone know how you are doing.

Last edited:
ther is always the possibility of any number of things hapening. I was a fortunate case. I ha n open rny in 2003 and did well,losing over 120 lbs. I am on the othr side now. after about 5 years I gaine 50 and am now 40 lb withing my goal weight. If you have come thiss far believe in your decision. think about the alternative way. do you want all the complications of obesity. I had a lot of them and I never once questioned or had any regrets. welcome to the forum. people here are you and me. patti

So as a newbie to the site I am now scared of the surgery aftermath regarding the eating or lack thereof that is being mentioned in these threads. Is there anyone out there that can give me some positive feedback about the surgery? I am seeing tons of weight being lost - which is the primary goal for us all. But at what cost? I just need some reinforcement that I am making the right decision. Someone must be having fewing problems then those who are blogging. Can someone chime in and put my mind to rest!

Hi Lynnell, Tom here. Hi have not had any bad physical side effects, I had the laproscopic RnY surgery 2 years ago. I know I had some concerns pre surgeryabout a lot of things, but I also knew I had tried dieting many different times and I would lose weight then put it back on plus a few more lbs and the descision did not come lightly to do this, I also had some medical issues,besides morbid obesity (high BP and cholesterol), and yo yo dieting isn't very healthy either.

I wa sworied about never being able to eat certain foods any more but I only have a bad reaction to pasta, pies, and white breads. But I can still eat almost everything I ate before I just eat in moderation and it doesn't bother me to eat small amounts of food because it still taste good and fills me up. Some of the key things to remeber though that is common for all of us is no grazing or what I call boardome eating. I usully have 4-5 small meals a day that have 20 to 30 gms of protien a meal and between 200 and 500 calories depending on what I eat, I try to keep it under 2000 calories a day if I am not doing much but at times I need up to 5000 calories a day when I am fighting fire and burning calories quicker than I can take them in, but I digress. You will probably onlyt be able to get 500 to 1000 calories a day post op it also depends on your doctors release orders and menue plan, but I found it very hard to get the right amount of protien and water in just because I wasn't hungry and any amount of water or food filled me up. You should do fine, we all were scared, that is just natural. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Hi Lynnell I had gastric sleeve feb 7th of this year and have not had any issues, you will not even be hungry so don't worry about the food too much! It is natural to worry that's why this site is good for everyone! Tom and Pat99 are great to talk with and have been very helpful to me. Thanks guys and good luck Lynnell

Hi Lynnell,

Not to worry, everything will turn out fine. Only thing I had a bad experience with was dehydration, thought I was drinking enough, but evidentally not !! So walk around with your bottle of water and sip , sip, sip ~~
I had my Roux-N-Y- on Oct 11th , 2011, and here we are about 5 1/2 months since then, feel terrific, down to a size 12 which I haven't worn since I was born............LOL.
Have lost about -95 pounds, see my dr on April 4th, hope to hit the 100 mark then ( fingers crossed).so you hang in there, and you too will say, it's the best thing I ever did..........
Keep us informed !!

Hi Lynnell
No Fear-There is a huge difference in your hunger level post-op.That half a pie or huge piece of cake we all ate for the first round of desert just isn't going to fit into your pouch after your surgery.You Are doing the right thing-the health benefits alone are "worth it"-In my case,I'm going to be a year post-op on April 8th and I've been doing just Great-It's true that you need to change the way you do things and you need to make sure you keep up with taking your vitamins but it's doable and after a short time it's just simply routine.I was taking 15 pills a day and using a c-pap machine-now that's all history-over-done.I've already gone past my original goal of having a 1 as the front number on my weight chart(199.9) and soon I'll weigh half of what I was when I started.My Doctor just put me on 6 month recall instead of 3 months and said it will most likely go to a year after the next visit because everything is so good.We have a support group meeting here attended by over 100 people most of the time.Questions get asked all the time from pre-op people like"Would you do it again or wouldn't you"-Everybody to a person says Yes-That includes me !

I don't really have too many questions regarding complications. I do wonder about those who have had the switch, as I haven't been able to talk to anyone who has had it. I guess not that many are doing it, but it was recommended by my surgeon.

Back