• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scared......

yorkie1268

Hello My name is Melissa, I am a widow was married for 23 yrs, lost my husband and best friend in July of 2009. I have 3 great kids ages 24, 23 and almost 18. I have a new granddaughter thats just 2 months old. I was told I needed bariatric surgery because I have a Hiatal hernia that needs redone that was repaired back in 2007. Was told the risk are higher for the hiatal surgery than the bariatric surgery......:eek:I am really scared to have the surgery because I dont want my kids to lose their mom since im all they have now. I hope to hear success stories here to help me with my fears of complications. Thanks in advance for all comments!!! :)

Once you know the risks, you make the best decision you can considering your circumstances. There are no grantees.

cheers

We all had fears. I had surgery Friday and talk about a chicken. I had the doctor hold up his hands to make sure he wasn't shaking, the anesthesiologist come in the room to make sure he was on talking terms with the surgeon and the nurse. Yeah I was a little neurotic all the way down to having them post my surgery type and doctor on the gurney. Now that it is over with all is good. (FyI I don't let my hairdresser cut my hair until I know she is in a good state of mind)

Three hours after surgery I was walking the halls of the hospital (to get the gas out before it became pain). I also was drinking an once of water every hour so that the doctor upped it to two ounces an hour. He didn't force me to drink the milk because I let him know me and milk do not get along. Day two in the hospital consisted of walks every hour or or so followed by a nap and drinking two ounces of water every hour. On day three I was up dressed when the doctor came in to talk about discharge. He was laughing and made the comment he could tell I wanted another day of being taken care of. I walked out of the hospital to the parking lot because I didn't want to wait for the wheel chair service. All is still good now. I am having some issues with getting my energy level back but that is to be expected. In all the surgery was well worth it.

The only thing I have ever set my mind to and failed was loosing weight and being able to get out and do things. Now I have a tool to help me accomplish that dream. I know that some of this may not pertain to the question you are asking but I do know fear. I would tell you about the nightmare I had the night before but that would be a little much lol. I too have kids 24 and 18 and a grandson age 1. I want more that anything to be healthy so I can enjoy life with them not just watch them grow older. Our kids deserve a parent that can be involved and supportive at 300+ pounds I was not involved just a by standard in their life. The surgery is going to help me get back to enjoying life. I picture teaching the little one to ride a bike, swim, and so much more.

I hope you find the information that will help you make a decision that must be your own. Best of luck
Sharon

Hi and welcome to the board. There are, as you know, no guarantees in life. What you have to do is weigh the risks of surgery vs the risks of morbid obesity taking years off of your life. I'd never had surgery, so I was nervous, not as much as CALQL84HEALTH, but plenty worried about it. My surgeon told me that the risks associated with RNY surgery were less than having gall bladder surgery. WLS is a very "safe" surgery, but as with any surgery there are risks. For me, the risks were worth. I'm 8 months out and I feel great. I would do this all over again, in a heartbeat.

Frank

:cool:

Melissa, I, too, am a widow and I know how hard it is to make major decisions without your life partner. I found these stats about mortality on a bariatric web site:
Major Heart Surgery 1 out of every 40 (2.5%) from the surgery
Car Accident 1 out of every 261 (0.3%) in their life
Bariatric Surgery 1 out of every 743 (0.135%) from the surgery
Falling on/from stairs 1 out of every 2,255 (0.044%) in their life
Airplane Accident 1 out of every 6,460 (0.016%) in their life

Melissa, I didn't mean to be disparaging in my previous post but life is risk. Consider the risks you take if you don't lose weight. the risks of diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, kidney disease and stroke everyone who is obese is taking at this very moment. Consider what would happen to your family if one of these diseases enters your life. Consider the increased chances of a longer life and being able to enjoy your children's milestones as they grow older graduations, weddings, anniversaries and grandchildren. I suggest taking the long view.

cheers

Last edited:
Hello Melissa,

I have a few suggestions that might be of help. Research your surgeon , and the hospital or center where you decide to have the surgery. Look for a Bariatric Center of excellence. Do they have a support group available for you. Ask questions and then ask more questions. Talk to others and get their recommendations. Do they have a registered dietician on staff? Is the bariatric unit dedicated to weight loss surgery patients.

Perhaps I am a bit ahead of myself in my recommendations. I had two hiatal hernias that had to be repaired. And then they found a huge umbilical hernia as well that they repaired. The health benefits derived from this surgery were well worth having the surgery. blood sugars improved, blood pressure improved, I can finally walk better. Dennis and Frank have it about right. I too am a widow and wish I had done this a long time ago.

Good luck with your decision and choice of surgery. Hope you have a wonderful journey and get as healthy as you can be. We all make the best decisions for ourselves and I am sure you will too. Joy

Surgery date!!!

Hello,
I got my surgery date..... Yay!!! It's a week from today, on the 27th. I am so excited but scared to death at the same time!!

Best wishes to you!! You'll be in my thoughts and please keep us updated!! I see my surgeon on Monday for the the first time after the seminar and checking my insurance to see if I'm approved to begin this journey. So excited but a bit anxious but I know for sure I want this and need to do it for myself to be able to be there for others as well!! :)

Hi Melissa, I am 4 weeks post surgery. I had a HUGE hiatial hernia as well. I never went to the surgeon and asked about gastric bypass. I went to the surgeon to fix my hernia. But, after 2 consultations with 2 different surgeons, they convinced me that gastric bypass was the only way they could fix my hernia forever. I am already off my high blood pressure medicine. I am no longer in the constant pain the hernia was causing me. It's funny in a way...the surgeons told me that they have done hundreds of bypass surgeries and my hernia was the biggest one they ever had to repair. It is hard to change your life and eating habits. I struggle all the time. But, it's getting better everyday. I start eating regular food this coming week. Can't wait. Good luck and keep us updated.

Kathy:cool:

Thanks!! Yea I went to have my hernia repaired again also and was toldvthe same thing as you, that I need bariatric surgery to permanently fix it. I'm excited but scared to death also!! This next week is gonna be very emotional!!! Hope things go well with you too! I will keep you all updated, thank you all for your support...... Love this group!!!

Surgery update

Surgery went well, was in surgery for 6 1/2 hours, doing good now. Thank you all for thoughts and prayers !

Melissa, Glad you are doing great. What have they given you to eat? The first 7 days, 3 times daily, I had cranberry juice, broth and a thimble size amount of sugar free jello. The most amazing part was that I couldnt eat a fraction of what they gave me to eat... Keep us posted, Good Luck, Cheyenne

Went to one week follow up yesterday.... Dr was very pleased with how well I am doing. Get to start puréed foods. Got home fixed a scrambled egg with milk and cheese, tummy didnt like it so up it came within 10 min. Think I ate it too fast or didn't chew enough. Later tried cottage cheese and it was fine. Feeling better everyday!!! So looking forward to seeing results!! Been very emotional too!! Hope all this is normal???

Back