• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

severe dizzyness

desertgirl

Hi friends,
This morning I woke at 6 am feeling extremely dizzy. My stomach also hurt. Because of the pain I was feeling I was hesitant to eat. I finally started a protein drink and in about 20 minutes I started to feel better. I am also on antibiotics. Has anyone else experience this? I am 17 weeks out after surgery. My protein intake has been low as well as water. (About half ). I am light headed most of the time but this mornings bout was extreme.
Any ideas?

Hey Des Girl,

Sorry to hear ... sounds almost like the symptoms of dumping syndrome.
It's possible you have a classic case of dehydration and maybe some protein deficiency but I'm not medical personnel.
Ideally you need to get in as much fluid as possible; perhaps G2 or Powerade Zero that may help w/some electrolyte replenishment if needed.
If you can get any skim or 1% milk down that would be ideal since you'd get fluid & protein, too.

Per the book/bible I was given for my program; symptoms of dehyration consist of;

Constant nausea - if you start to feel nauseated it is a signal that you need to start to drink more!
Thirst
Constipation
Dark, concentrated urine
Dizziness
"Bad" tase in your mouth
Fatigue

What you should do if you think you might be dehydrated? - Also from the book for my program at Froedert & the Medical College of WI Center for Bariatric Excellance

Continue to focus on drinking your fluids. You need to drink through the nausea.
If your symptoms persist, call the office as early in the day as possible.
You may need to be seen in the clinic and given intravenous fluids.

Hope this may be helpful. Best wishes, skip the dishes and sip away (please).

Hi Desertgirl, it sounds like a case of dehydration, you need to take care of that or it will turn into something more serious, being in the desert I am sure you are well aware of what comes next so keep getting those fluids in with a protien shake if you can, that should help to relieve the symptoms but If your symptoms persist I would recommend calling your doctor sooner than later, I am not sure if the antibotics tie into it but that would be worth asking too. Congratulations on the weight loss your doing great, hope you feel better soon. :cool: Tom

Desertgirl-I have to agree with Tom about dehydration. Use protein drinks because they count towards your fluid goal. Also like aTom said you should contact your doctor so that a correct diagnosis can be made. Make sure you let us know how you are doing.

Good morning desert girl
are you a diabetic???? I know when my sugar level drops i get shaky etc. This morning woke up with shakes and my sugar was 80 most of time mine runs around 150, so i ate part of an orange and it took care of it.
Like others have said dehydration and dumping is also a possiblity, i would let my dr know. I don't know if we are allowed orange juice after surgery?(because of the sugar in in it???
Praying you feel better and have a good day.
Donna

I am not diabetic but I keep thinking that my blood sugar is probably low. Today I experienced something really bad. I was on track with protein and water and I was at a church function and was kneeling for about 5 minutes when I started to break out in a sweat, breathing heavy, and a bit nauseous. I got up and just sat for a while, had some water and felt better .
Well, I see my doctor next Tuesday and I hope he has some news.
Thanks.
And I am excited for you.

I'm thinking you shouldn't wait until next Tuesday. Call the office and explain what has been happening and I'm sure they will see you sooner. Still sounds like dehydration but it could also be a hormone "reaction" that is being caused by your weight loss.

Back