• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve

ascooke63

Why did you choose the sleeve ? For those who have had it already how have you done with it ? How long was itbefore you could return to your normal activites?

I am getting the sleeve because my doctor feels its the right choice for me. With the amount of weight i have to lose and with my health issues, its easier than a bypass. And if I don't lose as much as I need to, I can follow up with a bypass surgery once my health improves.

I had the sleeve 3 weeks ago. I chose it because I felt it was the least invasive. I was unable to have the band due to auto immune disease. I was reluctant to have my intestines reconnected even though this procedure usually has better weight loss. My doctor no longer does the bypass.

I had the sleeve procedure on Apr. 20, 2012 and it was the best decision for me. It is less evasive than the bypass and with the amount of weight that I wanted to lose, I felt it was best. I have had no problems at all. I started walking 3 miles a day about 1 week post surgery and I'm still going strong.

I would have chosen the sleeve over the RNY if my insurance would have covered it. My surgeon also agreed that the sleeve would have been better for me. But after having the RNY I am not disappointed. If I had to voice a negative about the RNY it would be the malabsorption and having to take all of the supplements to avoid it. Really no big deal, just a minor inconvenience.

Starting in 2012 most insurances will pay for the sleeve... I have medicaid and they paid for mine... Of course I have a few other issues that the surgery will resolve... they didn't just approve it so I could lose weight. Anyway, I had the sleeve on September 10th because it seemed like the safest long term and short term and my surgeon suggested it for me. It hurt quite a bit at first, but by 2 weeks post op I felt better and had more energy than I've had in years. I've now lost 53 lbs and I feel terrific... I am so glad I made this decision and I would recommend it to anyone!!!

I'm having the sleeve I think next week, I'm waiting on my Dr. to call. Because of scar tissue it was the safest way for me to go. I'm a little scared and excited all at the same time. Wish me luck.

I had the sleeve done one the 23rd of Sept and only suffered slight pain the first day. After that it wasn't bad at all unless you over do it. I have been walking a mile a day and climbing stairs since the second or third day and can't wait to get back to Zumba I absolutely love it but no bouncing for 4 to 6 weeks so I am making do. I'm glad I went this way because it hasn't been bad at all and the Dr is happy with the results I have had so far.

I chose the sleeve for the same reason others say. It seemed less invasive since they don't touch any organ other than the stomach. Also, supposedly you don't have to worry about "dumping" which is one of the drawbacks of gastric bypass. I recovered very quickly from the surgery and the only real pain I experienced was right after I woke up in recover. I figured it was gas and started burping it up and in about an hour I felt better. Also, the pump came in handy. I was up and walking as soon as they brought me up to my room from recovery and I was home in 2 1/2 days. My friend who came to pick me up was amazed to see me in the visiting area ready to go and not lying in bed, writhing in pain. I was concerned, living alone, how I would manage at home but after knowing how well I was doing in the hospital (walking to the bathroom, showering, etc.) I realized that I did not need any home care. I have spine trouble so I don't do as much walking as I would like but the weight is dropping off me and I have become more active at home. So far, so good and I leave on a cruise next week where I think I'll be able to be more active since there's an indoor pool. Good luck!

I too have been asking the same question of why choose one procedure over the other. I have been reading, researching, and talking to individuals that have had either procedure done. Initially I wanted to have the RNY but now I'm steering towards the sleeve. I will discuss this with my dr. next wk at my appt. My surgery is scheduled for the first week in December.

Thanks for all the input ! It helps to hear from those who have had first hand experience !

I had the RNY because I wanted the extra help in not absorbing as many calories. I'm glad I had it because it seems like I can just look at food and gain weight. I need all the help I can get. The operation wasn't bad and it wasn't too painful.
Good Luck with your decision!!!

Thanks for all of the input. My dr. and I have decided the RnY is the procedure for me. Date set (drumroll please) December 10th. Looking forward to this new journey.

The surgeon said the sleeve was best for me since I have arthritis in the knee and may need to keep up meds, which have more adverse affects with the bypass. I was happy about that, because like others said, the sleeve is less invasive. I had my surgery on 10/29, came home on Halloween, and am doing okay. It's hard to tell if I'm feeling hungry or just gassy. :eek: That "just wanting to eat" feeling is a little devil, but I think that happens to everyone with either procedure.

Back