• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve

i am having the slv gastrectomy in 1 week. ive been 100 lbs overweight for 20 yrs and cannot wait for this help. i am healthy now and dont want to have diabetes or a stroke

I had the sleeve done on December 13, 2011 and I feel great. So far I have lost 29 pounds since the first of December. The procedure was not bad. The only part that I did not like was the drain tube. When they removed that I felt alot better, it was like alot of pressure was relieved. Good luck with your surgery. Do what the doctors tell you on eating and with the liquid diet. You will know when you get full. I am very pleased with my progress and with my "new" eating habits.

was the drain tube while u were in the hospital?? how long were u there? did u need help when u got home? sore stomach??. today i begin 2 days of clear liquids, tues is my surgery. im so glad u feel good and have lost 29lbs wow. keep up the great work and please keep me posted on ur progress. this is so helpful thx

Yes the drain tube was while I was in the hospital. That was the last thing that they removed before I left the hospital. I was in the hospital for little over 24 hours. They will have you up walking the evening of the surgery. It will hurt getting up and moving around but they want you up and moving to prevent blood clots. Even when you get home you would think they want you to rest well they do but get up and walk as much as you can. My husband took the day after I ame home off ofwork to be with me, but I really did not need anyone. Stomch was sore for about a week. I had 6 incisions (5 from the surgery and 1 from the drain tube).

Keep us posted and again good luck. Just do what they tell you and you will be fine. You will be tired for about a week or so, but that is all common. You are lucky with just 2 days of liquid I was almost 2 weeks and I am so sick of brooths and bullions. It feels so good to eat again (even though it is very small portions).

Glad I am able to help you and hopefuly easy your mind some.

thank u thank u i would love to keep talking to u!!! i have 3-4 wks of liquids after surg its 2 days of clear liquids before.... im focused and know its the right thing to do

Would love to keep talking to you as well after your surgery. I had to do the liquid for 1 week after my surgery then I had to pass the egg test. That is the day of your post op I had to scramble 1 egg and try to eat at least half of it and then let the doctor know how I was able to tolerate it. I am not that big on eggs but that was the best egg I have ever eaten. Please keep me posted when you you are back home and let me know how things went. If I can help you out in any other way just let me know.

I'm also having the sleeve surgery around the end of January. Can you give me any idea about what it's like after the surgery as far as pain goes?

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I had mine done on December 13th, 2011. I was in pain jus a few days afterwards. The pain is not that bad, i ismore like being sore than pain. The worse part for me was the drain tude. Once they removed that before I left the hospital it was like alot of pressure was relieved. Overall that was the worse part. You will be sore when you have to get out of bed to do your walking. They will get you up to walk the aternoon or night of your surgery (or at least my doctor did) to prevent blood clots. You will be tired and not have alot of energy for about 1 week after your surgery, but that is to be expected. Just take it easy and walk and do what the doctor says. I am very pleased with my surgery and seeing the results afterwards is wonderful. I feel better than I have in years. Please keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm scared, excited and nervous about the surgery. How much have you lost since your surgery?

I have lost 29 pounds since the first of December. I was a little nervous about mine as well, but the day of surgery I was very calm for I was already ready to start seeing the results afterwards.

I am now loosing 1 pound a week. That does not seem like a lot, but just being able to see the results and getting into smaller clothes makes it worth while. I would rather loose 1 pound a week than gain that one pound.

I had the gastric sleeve 12/1/11 and yes the drain tube was in the hospital but they remove it before you leave as long it looks like its drained all excess blood from within your body. When I got home I did need help because the left side of your body will hurt more than your right side because that was the side he actually pulled the excess stomach out of plus I had an ulcer at the top of my stomache which was also pushed up against my lungs so I had a little more done than normal. My left side was sore up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. WARNING: Immediately after your surgery coughing and sneezing will feel as if it is going to kill you - what a pain but it eventually subsides as the stomache heals. Get through that part and rest should be smooth sailing for you.

Congurates. I also am in process of hopefully getting surgery date soon, I have not made up my mind if doing sleeve or RY . I am leaning more to sleeve due to less chace of issues such as malnutrition.
good luck..... I know how you feel also over 100 pounds for last 20 years.

Hi everyone:
I got my surgery date feb 29. scared but yet can not wait to start my new life. I haft to start liquid die starting 15th and it sounds like will do till 2 weeks out of surgery. I think for me my hardest thing giving up is diet squirt. I am still trying to figure out what to drink on reg. basis, not a big fan of water. What kind of issue have all of you ran into. I am trying to prepare myself for all the what ifs. What is the drain? I got for preop and sure will tell me then, but in mean time would like to know. Thanks for any help of what to watch for and what to eat, drink and do to help me in the future.:)

Slray, what is your starting weight, age, height and sex? I have decided on getting the sleeve also and am 5'9", Female and 53. I am trying to get a gauge on how other people like me are doing.

so you are loosing wieth slowly why does it slow down after surgery i lost wieth quickly but then i stalled out havent lost any thing in couple of weeks been to the gym 3 times a week is ti what i am eating dunno normal turkey sausage greek yogourt fruits vegs just dont understand dinner weight wacthers meal its like the wieht just stoped comming off hmmmmm conffused

I am 38 years old and my start weight before surgery was 230 pounds I am now at 199 since December 12,2011. I am female and my height is 5'1. I am very pleased with my progress and with the type of surgery that I choose. You will know when you get full and need to stop eating. Good luck with your upcoming surgery and keep us posted on how you do afterwards.

so you are loosing wieth slowly why does it slow down after surgery i lost wieth quickly but then i stalled out havent lost any thing in couple of weeks been to the gym 3 times a week is ti what i am eating dunno normal turkey sausage greek yogourt fruits vegs just dont understand dinner weight wacthers meal its like the wieht just stoped comming off hmmmmm conffused

Jeff, Sounds like you have a good meal plan going. Going to the gym is great it helps the body burn calories more efficiently but don't be discouraged if the scale doesn't move you are probably gaining muscle while losing fat, I would stall like that but my cloths would still get looser. Keep it up, talk with your doctor about it on your next visit if you have any concerns, but looks like you are rite on track. Keep us posted. :cool: Tom

kenwoodgirl:

Good evening. I was just reading back from our previous conversation and saw that you have now had the surgery done. What do you think of it and how did it go? Did you have any problems? Would love to hear from you.

slray

Hi everyone:
I got my surgery date feb 29. scared but yet can not wait to start my new life. I haft to start liquid die starting 15th and it sounds like will do till 2 weeks out of surgery. I think for me my hardest thing giving up is diet squirt. I am still trying to figure out what to drink on reg. basis, not a big fan of water. What kind of issue have all of you ran into. I am trying to prepare myself for all the what ifs. What is the drain? I got for preop and sure will tell me then, but in mean time would like to know. Thanks for any help of what to watch for and what to eat, drink and do to help me in the future.:)

Fluid intake is critical to recovery. I also have a hard time drinking water and will continue to drink non-carbonated sugar free / caffiene free drink mixes like Crystal Light or Hawaiin Punch brands. That's what I drink now. I have nearly doubled my fluid intake compared to when I tried drinking plain water. Had to give up the diet Coke products but it wasn't difficult at all.

Back