• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Slow proces....

Dejavu108

I made the decision to have WLS about a month ago. I was eager to get the process started. I immediatley met with my PCP and got a referral. I then attended the mandatory orientation at the hospital. After I was contacted to schedule my new patient evaluation, so I already met with my dietician and psychologist. Now my next step is to meet with the surgeon. The next available appointment is December 5th! I dont know how I can wait so long....let me also add that I will have to do an 8 week support group after I meet with the surgeon before I can have surgery. Now im looking well into 2013.......ughh.

Hi Dejavu,

Welcome to the forum, you'll find some great support here. I made my initial appointment in August of 2011, though I'll admit, I wasn't 100% committed at the time. I had surgery on the 17th of this month. Unfortunately for me, my insurance company changed the way things were done, so I had to add 6 months of weighing in at my PCP's office. Once I finished that, we got the approval, it was three weeks after the approval that I had surgery. Be patient, remember this is a life altering change you've about to undergo. Take the time and read and learn as much as you can. Ask plenty of questions, here and of your doctor. Also remember that everyone's experience is different, but we all agree, follow the plan set out by your team. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited:
I am new to this support group but I do understand how you feel. It took me 9 months to finaully have my surgery last Monday!!! It has been a very lonnnng wait. Don't get to discouraged. It will be here before you know it.

Welcome Dejavu108- I am new here also and totally understand what your going through. I stated my WLS journey in March of 2012 and just got insurance approval and surgery date of Nov 13, 2012. I agree that the time will go by fast considering you have to complete all the pre surgery testing, specialty doctors visits and support groups. Take this time to learn, read and talk with others....remember knowledge is power. And this forum is a great place to learn and any question you have someone will reach out to you. :D

Hello kitty...

Congratulations on you surgery!!! I hope all is going well and you are feeling good, please let us know how you are!!!:rolleyes:

Dejavu-Yes, it can be a very slow process but it's totally worth the wait. Try calling the office once a week to see if there have been any cancellations that they can slip you into. Once you have your consult you can start knocking off the remaining tests. Since there are time limits on some of the tests you don't want to have them too far in advance of your surgery otherwise you'll have to have them repeated. In the meantime, start getting things in order around your house so that everything is convenient for your return home from the hospital. Put things you will be using on a regular basis within close reach so you won't have to reach up overhead of bend way over to get to them. It's not that you are going to have extreme pain but there will be some discomfort and excess overhead reaching and bending will be uncomfortable for about a week after you are back home. As you approach your surgery date you'll want to catch up on laundry especially towels and linens and your sleepwear. Make a couple of family favorites and stick them in the freezer. When you get your handouts for your meal plans get yourself enough staple to hold you for 2 weeks so you don't have to run to the store at the last minute. You are going to be very tired for a while after surgery and should be spending your time resting, not running errands. Also get all of your prescriptions refilled if you are running low. Just look around at your house and review your day to day schedule and get things in oder to best suit yourself for the first couple of weeks back home, it will make life a lot easier for you.

Back