• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stalled and can't get the scale moving down.

I had my RNY surgery in July 0f 2010. So I am 16 months out. I lost weight really well up until the last couple of months and now am going back and forth between 168 - 174. Very discouraging. I'm not sure what to do now.

I eat my protiens, drink the water, and had been getting exercise. Now that it is getting darker earlier and much colder, I really haven't been out to walk.

How do I get started again to be on the losing end?

Don't get discouraged. Your body has basically 'gotten used to' your routine. Switch it up. Don't change too much. Start subtle and check the results.

1. Outdoor exercise is harder now, I agree. Try some indoor things to keep you active. Get some hand weights
  2. Check the food journal and watch the 'sneaky' calories. If that's not it, then change the TYPE of proteins that you're eating.
  3. Vitamins and supplements. Make sure they're the right amounts for your post-op stage.
  4. Make sure that you're getting enough sleep and enough liquid. I've found that's very important to getting things moving.

I can't think of anything else right now. I can only say that you are MORE than that number on the scale. Don't ever forget that. If you're feeling healthy and your Surgeon/Nutritionist aren't alarmed, then take things slow and try some changes and see how it goes.

Had RNY in Jan. this year. Now at a plateu, so have been hitting the gym more. Seems to be working, but I'm not losing like I was. Now down to 1-2 pounds a week. I agree that you have to change it up. Your body is getting a little nourishment every 3-4 hours, if you run past, then your body thinks that your starving, and will slow down the metabolism. Keep working out, the scale will move, just not real fast anymore.

Can't get the scale moving

First of all, congratulate yourself. You have done fantastic!!! Stand strong, you don't want those pounds back. Find a way to exercise, walk at the Mall, go to a gym, get a flashlight. Only you know what is practical for you. Previous posts are helpful, change it up and keep the faith. Thank you for your post. I struggle with the same issue.

I agree with all the previous posts, but would like to add something else;
Is your goal set right? i was calculating that you want to be about 121Lbs.
how tall are you.
I was about the same wgt as you before surgery, My goal was set according to my BMI
I realized that if i lost 100lbs it would put me on the healthy mark so i always had in my mind "i want to loose all of the unhealthy wgt, which i did already.
I think you are seeing your goal too distant, but i think you'r doing great. follow all the previous advises and re-think your goal.
Good Luck

I agree with everything that has been posted....would like to add one more vital item...

I suggest you keep a log of absolutely EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. There is a fine line between healthy grazing and snacking. You may have crossed it without realizing it.

I met a gentleman about 2 years ago...he was eating right, keeping meals portioned, had lost over 200 lbs, but the weight was coming back. He worked at a grocery chain in the back and was an office-type in charge of stocking. He spent alot of time walking around the store (it's a large chain) and was blown away because he had stalled. His wife agreed he never snacked, so what could be the issue. His nutritionist told him to write down everything no matter how trivial it was that went in his mouth.

Within 1 day he knew the issue.

They have a HUGE bakery and deli. Every day, the food that was not sold the previous day is put in the back for employees to nibble on. He consumed ridiculous quantities of a "piece here" and a "bite there". He stopped the grabbing of a bite as he walked by and was soon back on track losing. It was so simple. He was not intentionally eating too much, his body just wasn't ready for what he had added unknowingly. Last I saw, he'd lost almost all of it again.

Sometimes I find myself having to do this but for the opposite reason. I keep losing and have to tell my surgeon, "I'm eating enough". I start writing it down and during these times my avg caloric intake is only about 500 a day. So I have to get back on track and pay attention.

Hope this helps just a little bit.

Letrell

One more thing to add - if you're really having a problem, talk to your surgeon/diatician. They may have some suggestions.

DanEvansJr and Plumbarus-I find your weight loss remarkable and truly an inspiration. I have a very large amount to lose in order to attain my goal weight. In trying to plan ahead I have been making a list of things I need to do in order to keep me on track once I have my RNY surgery. I have added the accomplishments the 2 of you have made to the list to remind myself that "IT" can be done. CONGRATS!

I JUST WANT TO MENTION TO EVERYONE THAT KEVIN HAS MADE US A NICE CHAT ROOM. PLEASE STOP IN THE CHAT ROOM WHEN YOU VISIT THE FORUMS SO WE CAN ALL GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.

Last edited:
I am a bit past RNY. i still am nauseated much of the time and simply cannot eat. i know i'm dehydrated gut the nausea doesn't stop. i sometimes eat somethng not on my lis5t juw5 5o t35som3 nou4qwhm3n5 in5o m3. E4inkint qll 5h3 2q534 iw 5h3 mow5 eirridul5 dhqll3nt3. I am nauseatede most of the time and cannot even drink water.

I cant read the garbled part. I tried really hard, Janet, but gave up. LOL

I do want to say that you are NOT a bit past RNY. You are still so very new. Your body is in a very tender phase right now. Stop eating what is not on the list.You are not ready for that. Your body is still healing. I wasn't permitted "food" for something like 6 weeks after surgery. I was still on pureed foods. I am one of those that hated to eat as well. My pouch really bothered me when I did. For weeks 7 - 9 I was on a soft diet...ground chicken (ewwww), ground roast beef, whipped potatoes (I never got used to potatoes), baked salmon, green beens, those kinda things. I was on the soft diet until 90 days out. At 90 days I was on a "normal eating diet". I never cheated and it was a killer for me to start eating regular.

And an FYI...the first sign of dehydration is nausea. You gotta solve that issue like NOW.

You have to drink the water!!!! If you don't, you WILL dehydrate. You WILL end up in the hospital with an IV and you won't like it at all. Of this I can attest. Get back on the list you were given. Follow it! Drink the water even if you don't want it...You are still on the sipping stage. Every 5 mins or so take a SIP of water. Your body cannot get the hydration it used to be able get.

I hate to sound like I'm lecturing but OMG, your body needs you to heal.

I strongly suggest at this stage that you go straight to your Nutritionist and/or Surgeon. Make sure they know what is going on and the problems you are having.

Please keep us informed.

Letrell,
Thank you for your input. I've been eating what i can stand and that's not been good for me. So I'm back to liquids! Also, I'm drinking more, carrying around a bottle of water. My husband got some fresh blackberries yesterday and INSISTED I try one. I tried to say I couldn't but I ended up giving in. He's been through the classes and should have known better. Well, of course, i dumped after eating one blackberry. He tried to say it was something else but i knew the seeds had a lot to do with it. (BTW, they were very sweet and good). So yesterday was not particularly a good day. Since I'm semi-retired i have time to take my time. part of my problem is that I take a lot of medication for different problems and they upset my stomach. I've found if I take them gradually in the a.m. with some isopure, staying in bed until I'm through, helps. The Isopure is great - gives me lots of protein, which I need. I'm getting back to what I have to eat and "surprise" I feel better.
This time of year is really hard for me. I usually make lots of cookies and candies for my family but I told them they would have to go without this year. That's good for me because I'm not tempted to take a bit of something I shouldn't.
We went to a Christmas party this week and i nibbled on a meatball, very slowly and small bites. That was a good alternative for me. I felt like I was part of the party but it didn't upset my stomach.
I really am trying to drink all the water. I HATE the nausea. There's nothing worse than trying to throw up with nothing there.
Anyway, thanks for the input. I love this site and I appreciate kevin for taking the time for doing it for us.

Letrell,
i'm doing better. I've gone back to strictly liquids and am carrying water everywhere. Still some nausea but I'm managing. Thanks for your helpful post!

Janet-I am very happy to hear you are feeling better. I constantly think about post-surgical nausea and ways to avoid getting it. Posts from you and others are helping me with this issue. My surgery will be next month but time is flying by for me and before I know it I will have had my surgery. Continue to take care of yourself Janet and keep posting your progress and anything else you want to share with all of us

Janet,even if you let ice melt in your mouth, do it. Letrell is right, you have to keep the fluids there. Water is important to have all the time. I make sure I drink more than I am supposed to because ofthe work that I do. Hang in there but drink your water!!!

wateris the key I bought A HALF GAL drinkcontainer and selected from a couple of sugar free flavors. I use this to drink from all day long because I hate water but I can do it more easily and sitting there looking at me from the beach scene reminds me to drink patti

It is so nice to read all the comments. Seems like we are all realizing the same things. A lot of what we go through we can't really do anything about except forge forward and do our best to do what we know is right. My best to everyone!!!!!

Like Patti, I carry around a drink container. Mine isn't 1/2 gallon but it holds enough and it's insulated so that my beverage stays cold for a while. I also use a sugar free beverage because plain water just doesn't want to go down. Carrying around the drink container make a difference between drinking and not drinking. It sort of "nudges" you to drink every time you look at it.

Pat, do you have problems with water going down now? I hope it gets better after you have the surgery. You will need that water so badly.

Thanks for sharing,

Letrell

Yes Letrell, I have always have had an issue with drinking plain water. When I met with the surgeon he said I could drink sugar free non-caffeinated, non-carbonated beverages instead of water.

I am also stalled.

I had my r ny 6 weeks ago . I lost 34 pounds but am now stuck. I know the plateu happens but does anybody know if I will start losing weight again or am I stuck at 1 pound a week forwver

Back