• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stomach still hurting

desertgirl

My stomach has been hurting for quite some time now. I called my surgeon and spoke to the nurse about not moving my bowels and said I thought I needed to add some fiber to my diet. She asked if there was anything else and I said yes, my stomach has been hurting. She made an appointment for me right then and there and said she thought I might have an ulcer. Oh Well! My appointment is on Thursday. Hope all is well. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi DesertGirl. I hope evrything turn out alright, I was thinking more fiber if you haven't had any bowel movements (BM), I would have never thought about an ulcer but I have heard from others here that they have developed ulcers so that is not unheard of, in the mean time a little more fiber shpopuld help with the BM's, I have known quite a few people who have had that problem and added fiber or flax to there meal plans and that helped keep things moving. Let us know what you find out. Tom

Desertgirl-Sometimes my pouch hurts if I eat certain things like meat or if I take a bite or two too much food or drink a little too much at one time. Other than that I don't have an issue with pouch pain.

I am amazed that I don't even get to see a doctor. I am almost 6 months out of surgery and I have only seen the surgeon,my doctor, one time during the initial consultation and of course on the day of surgery. Since then I have seen the PA. Well after talking to the nurse today, repeating everything I said on the phone, the PA comes into the exam room and just tells me what he thinks is wrong. I either have an ulcer or a tightening of the tube which runs down to the stomach. I forget what he called that. So he prescribed some meds and ordered a test to look at my pouch and the tube. I have to wait for insurance to ok the procedure.
Why did I even have to go into the office (which is an hour away)? He could have called in the script and ordered the tests. I am amazed what Doctors put us through. Well, hoping for the best. I tried to eat some beef and beans tonight and I was able to get down 3 bites. I hope I will be able to do better tomorrow.
Thanks everyone.

Pat, What types of food do you eat and how often? I am still on 100 percent protein. I can't wait until I can add other foods to my diet. Can I actually eat 3 times a day? I have only done it once or twice since surgery.
It hurts going down like it won't go down, so I hurt.

HI Patti,
No not really. The meds I am on never affected me before. I have a hard time moving my bowels even though I feel like I have got to go. I was told to take a stool softener daily and I could drink some benefiber. I have been trying. I also take a laxative when I don't go for 5 days.
Thanks

Hi DesertGirl. I am amazed also that you surgeon hasn't seen you I seen mine an a couple of visits post op, he just wanted to make sure things were going good with me and I was healing up fine, I usually see the NP who is also very good and if ther were any problems she would consult the Doctor, I feel very fortunate to have such a great medical team and bariatric program in such a rural place. I hopre things start getting better for you, Have you tried Flax seed oil for your BM's? :cool: Tom

Desertgirl-To answer your question I eat almost everything but focus on trying to get 60 grams of protein daily. I avoid high carbs and fats and other types of food that we were told not to eat. I eat 2 or 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day. My weight loss has slowed way down over the last month and I have a 6 month follow up appointment on August 16th and will discuss this with the surgeon or nutritionist. I still find it difficult to eat meat unless it's canned tuna, chicken or turkey and I can also eat lean lunchmeats and just recently turkey breakfast sausage links. On the days that I just can't manage to eat enough protein from meat, eggs or cottage cheese I end up having a protein shake.

Once you start eating solid food it will take some time to get used to it. You will probably be given a meal plan to follow in order to progress gradually to solid foods. It will probably take you 4 to 6 weeks to get used to eating again. Keep up the good work on your weight loss :) :) :)

Hello
It almost sounds like you have a blockage of some sorts. You mention having beef for dinner...they told me that eating the "red" meats would be more difficult to work back into your diet...you are just going on your forth month post op...isn't that too early to eat red meat? I was informed not to try them until after your sixth month post op. Do you remember a time that you ate something new when this issue started for you? You may be continuing to eat something that still doesn't agree with you at this stage. I hope the Doctors tests find out what is the problem and you get some relief soon. Please come back and let us know what the outcome was.

Jules

Back