• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sunburn pain

NanaG67

Good morning. I promised my grandkids yesterday that I would go to the pool with them. Normally we are only there about an hour and back home. Well my son in law decided that he had stuff to do so he dropped everyone off at his mom's house to go swimming and took off. She is out of town on vacation, so no access to bathrooms or anything. We were there probably about 5 hours with little shade, we did have drinks and snacks though.

Anyway, after being in the pool most of the time having lots of fun....I have a horrible sunburn this morning. My hubby put lotion on it last night, and my daughter will put some on me this morning before we leave for our dr appts. I have my blood work this morning for surgery, and she has an appointment with her surgeon in regards to her gallbladder.

Does anyone know any good sunburn remedies?? I had a friend in Australia to tell me a sliced tomato over the burns will help, and a website for skin cancer said to dip a washrag in milk and place on burn as that will help too.

What hurts right now is that I am fasting for my blood work and have barely had a little sip of water at 2am this morning as I was so parched my throat was sore. Not sure if I can have any water, but I may take a small sip just to protect my throat. The skin cancer website said to drink lots of fluids, which right now is impossible until I can get to LabCorp.....Wish me luck getting through this day.......will post more when I get home.:(

Ouch:( I am sorry to hear that. Aloe vera gel works really good on burns of all types, it is very cool and soothingyou can find it in the health food/vitamin section of most stores or if you have a health food store or something like that they may also have it. I think you can drink water whiile you are fasting for blood work, you just cant have food because it messes up the tests. Tom

I also recommend the aloe vera gel, you can also get it at Walmart. Cooling the skin with a cool shower and then applying the aloe vera gel works wonders.

I'm on board with the Aloe idea. It's pretty easy to find and fairly inexpensive. You can usually find it with the sunscreen in department stores or drug stores. Feel better soon. I know that sunburn is no fun at all. Hopefully you'll get some relief in a day or two. Take care.
-Jenny

Thanks everyone! Yes, my grandson had some minor burning on his back, but he is used to playing outside without a shirt on. Mine is on my chest, shoulders and upper back. Last night my husband put lotion on me, but the wrong kind, so I had trouble sleeping...mind you, it wasn't his fault. This morning after my shower, my daughter put Vaseline brand lotion with Aloe Vera, and that didn't help too much. A friend of ours who is a nurse said to use Noxema, and that is working well. She also said it shouldn't peel.

I sipped a little bit of water this morning, so I am sure I will be fine. The guy was really gentle, and I barely felt the needle go in, and after 6 or 7 vials of blood he was done and I was out of there. Now just 2 weeks till my daughter has her gallbladder removed and I start the liquids only pre-op diet.

I remember using Noxema for sunburn when I was a teen. It worked pretty good. As an adult I took as cool of a shower as I could stand several times a day along with Tylenol to ease the pain and inflammation. I have very fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes so I burn easily. I wear sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses unless it's after 4:30 PM. I just buy the No Ad sunscreen from WalMart or whatever least expensive brand they happen to have with a SPF of 30 or more. Sometimes I buy Avon when it's half off. I just did an inventory and found 6 open bottles of it *LOL* Looks like I'm set for this year :) :)

I remember getting blistering sunburns before sunscreen was available so my PCP examines my skin very closely for signs of pre cancerous growths. If I had it to do all over again I would have never left the house without sunscreen.

The Noxema worked pretty well. I am still a little sore but it's not unbearable. My room is nice and cold since we got the new AC so I am really cold right now, but oh it feels sooooo good.

Good luck with bloodwork, and stay the hell out of the sun, in future, lol. You might try cloth soaked in aloe vera gel!

a website for skin cancer said to soak a washrag in milk and apply to the sunburn, haven't tried that yet

Back