• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery 8/28

marge211

Hi there. I had my bypass surgery 8/28, and ended up back in hospital 9/5 with terrible pain- some previous surgery had left lots of scar tissue. My surgeon operated again to confirm that bypass was ok (it was) and to loosen up more of the scar tissue. I got on appropriate pain meds and have been home since sat 9/8. I am feeling pretty good- still achy but nothig like i was. I am starting to wean the pain meds some because i am going crazy not being able to drive. Of course the pain is much improved or i wouldn't be able to decrease. As of this time, i have little or no interest in protein shakes. I am struggling to get down one 42 gm of protein shake a day, but i am doing well wth other liquids (flavored water, popsicles, and sugar free jello). I have absolutely no desire to even look at food let alone start a stage 3 diet next week. Is this normal? How did you guys do with the shakes after surgery? I know i have to keep up with my protein and vitamins in order to heal, but it is so hard. The only flavor i have found i like is chocolate, and i am even tired of that! Any suggestions?

Hi Marg, I feel your pain, I was so tired of shakes I couldn't wait to eat, then when I ate I got full off a couple of bites and really wasn't hungry, I didn't get my appatite back for about a year. What I had to do was schedule 5 to 6 small meals a day and rely on protien bars and shakes to substitute some of my meals. I had about 3 flavors I liked chocolate, vinilla and strwberry EAS shakes, they wer OK but I just got tired of them. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

I'm so sorry to hear of your complications. That certainly slows things down.

Do remember the order of importance and you'll feel better about what's happening. You're doing the best you can right now and getting the most important part:
1) Fluids (absolute first must)
2) Protein (This is the hardest thing for me and I couldn't take the artificial ingredients after surgery, though I seem to be getting better with that.) Get unflavored protein to add to yogurt. When you make a shake, use milk for a little more protein. Get some sugar-free syrups, the kind they use for espresso places (Toriani's I think) and add that. Don't start the next stage until you're ready.
3) Vegetables V-8 juices count as liquid, too.
4) Fruits are absolute last place, but I like to mix about a quarter of a cup of 100% fruit juice to 20 ounces of water. It helps.
5) Carbohydrates With few exceptions, never.
6) Sweets/Desserts Really, really never until you're back to a normal diet and closer to your goal weight.

Marge-The meal plan phases are a guideline to get us used to eating "normal" foods again. Each of us progress at different rates and it is not written in stone that you MUST start phase 3 next week. You don't have to go to this phase until you and your tiny new pouch are ready for it. I didn't start phase 3 until 5 weeks post surgery. I had my RNY on 2/27/12 and still have issues with eating most "whole" meats. They just don't sit comfortable in my pouch yet so I stick with softer meats like canned tuna, chicken and turkey as well as moist roasted dark chicken with all skin and fat removed. I can also eat very well cooked and simmered until tender lean ground turkey and beef and thin sliced ham lunchmeat because the texture is soft. If something on the meal plan doesn't appeal to you or makes your pouch hurt then wait to try it later, don't rush through the phases. You'll know when you are ready :) :) :)

Try adding some ice to you shakes or thin them down a bit with water. Maybe if they are thinner you can handle them better. Ounce for ounce your shakes, Jello, popsicles, etc., count towards your daily fluid intake. Keep taking those vitamins and supplements too otherwise you will become malnourished. Keep a favorite beverage with you at all times and sip, sip sip, slowly all day long.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the support and advice. I am dong a bit better than when i wrote that last post. I still avoid the protein shakes because the thought of them makes me want to gag. I am mostly eating soft solids now like yogurt and cottage cheese and i am slowly adding more solid foods like tuna or a graham cracker with peanut butter (yum!) i am doing my best to drink as much fluids as i can, but with the restrictions on no drinks 30 miinutes before and after meals and me trying to eat 4x/day, there is only so much time i can drink my fluids. But i think things will balance out soon. :)

Hey, Marge,

I'm glad you're doing better.

As to your protein and fluid intake. I'm going to say the same thing everybody else has been saying. You must get in your protein. You must get in your fluids.

You need them both to heal and to stay healthy. Do you like fruit/juice flavors? You might like the Syntrax Nectar line for your protein supplement. If you'll go to their site, they have a sample packet available which is an excellent way to try them. No heavy investment if you don't like them. A delightful preview if you do.

As to your fluids, you will see this over and over on this forum and in other places. And there is good reason for it. Sip, sip, sip! If you have a container of some sort at your side at all times, it takes only a second (and practically no room in your pouch) to take a sip. Just one sip. Then, later, you can take another. And another. Well, you get the idea.

Your face-to-face support group might have other suggestions that will help. You do have one? I hope so. It will help.

Congratulations, again, on your surgery!

Marge-Since you are more than 4 weeks post surgery you should be able to get at least 60 grams of protein daily. I know you said you find the protein drinks hard to take. It might be because they are too thick. Add some ice or a little water o thin them out to a more suitable consistency to your liking. Which meal plan phase are you in now? It took me forever to get past phase 4 and I still have problems with "whole" meats and other things that are dense in texture. On some days I need to drink a protein shake or eat some sort of bariatric entree or a protein stick to get to 60 grams of protein. There are a lot of bariatric specialty foods available and you can get them from the store from this forum as well as other on-line stores. These foods come in a variety such as slighty sweet to super sweet protein bars to entrees like chili, sloppy joe's, mac & cheese, cheese steak macaroni, etc. All are high in protein but watch the net carbs to make sure you don't order something your pouch can't tolerate yet.

Back