• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery date 6/4/2012

Jane

Finally after 8 months of appointments, tests, and interviews my doctors office called today with a surgery date of June 4th. I have so many emotions going on right now...happy, worried, scared, is all this normal?

Good morning Jane. SO glad that you have your surgery date. Yes it is all normal to be happy, worried, and scared. I am and I don't have my surgery date yet. I should know for sure next week. That is when I have my 2nd consult with the surgeon, and my date will be set. At least this gives me a little extra time to get things in order before surgery. Please keep us posted, and you can pm me anytime you want to talk.

Jane-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to have WLS. Everything you are feeling is perfectly normal. This is a life changing event and is quite a rollercoaster ride. I don't think anyone on this forum can say they didn't feel the same way or close to it. You will probably feel the same way right up to the day of surgery. Once the big day arrives and you are at the hospital you will be kept so busy you won't have much time to be worried. The next thing you know your surgery will be over and you will be in recovery then taken to your room.

You are certainly in the right forum for support and understanding so don't hesitate to ask questions. We are all here for you :)

What you are feeling is completely normal! I started a notebook with questions I had for my "team", even up to the day I went home from the hospital. Read and learn as much as you can!

I am worried about my husband and daughter (age 13), how this change in me will effect them. I am hoping a healthier me will result in healthier habits for them. But I'm afraid of the emotional rollercoaster...anyone have any tips?

Jane-Your husband and daughter will probably be very happy for you. It's not like you're going to be away from home, except for the brief hospital stay. You will be tired in the beginning as your body heals from surgery and adjusts itself to fewer calories. As you heal and lose some weight you will become more energetic and able to do things more physical than you were able to do in the past. As for the emotional rollercoaster, it's very doable. Most of us become a bit aprehensive after making the decision to have the surgery. We also feel a bit scared and excited. It's all normal and I think the majority of us go through this. Basically it's just a rush of emotions that changes from day to day. Just take things a day at a time and try to keep yourself busy so you won't be thinking about the surgery 24/7. Spend some time a couple of days a week getting your hosue "organized" to make things easier for yourself for your first month home from surgery. Stock up on some things you will need for your first month home like your supplements, RX meds, food items, etc. This will help keep your mind off of things.

Jane

congratulations on getting your surgery date, i know what it feel's like to "wait" i started in jan, have did all the test seen the surgeon on may4 & was told he is booked up for almost 2 months i was so dissapointed because i thought i was gonna get my surgery date that day. But i'm playing the waiting game so manyothers before me have went through.
Yes i believe being nervous scare is all"normal" for it's a life changing decesion we've all made to become healthier and happier us. Please keep us posted, this room has so many wonderful people who've encouraged me along the way and just reading how others are dealing with it, helps and is also encouraging too. Just think in less than a month you'll be on your way to becomming the healthy person you want to be & able to buy smaller clothes, that is what i am looking forward too, getting into jeans i used to wear. One pound at a time one day at a time.
I pray you have continued success .
Donna

Hi Jane Welocme and congratulations. It can be a rollercoaster ride of emotions like evryone else has said, I remember it well and I am 2 years out. You should do fine teenagers will be teenagers, understanding one day and well a teenager the next (I am 45 but still remeber beeing a teen LOL), I am sure your husband will be there for you. If you are going to support group meeting make sure he goes with you because for a week or to he will be a major part of your support becaus like Pat said you will be tired all the time while you recover. One thing I have heared alot in my support group meetings is when on spouse gets WLS the whole family starts eating healthier and evrey one loses a few ponds and starts feeling better, so this is not only healthier for you but for evryone. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Thanks everyone for words of encourgement. I haven't told very many people about my decision to have WLS. Really only my husband, daughter and two sisters. For some reason, I can't seem to be able to tell anyone else. I think I'm afraid of their reaction. I haven't been to a support group meeting yet so I don't know how others have handled this. I just don't know whether to tell or not. I know there could be complications, so I don't want anyone telling me I told you so. I've thought about WLS a long time and have done a lot of research and I know this is what I want.

It is a very personal descision and difficult one to make, some will say we are taking the easy way out but they have never walked in our shoes or strugled like we have, it is not an easy way out or a miricle cure, it is a whole lifstyle change. You don't have to tell anyone, I know I only told my best freinds and my boss, unfortunately my boss isn't the best with confidentiality so everyone knew soon enough, but I am ok with it now, I wasn't then though:mad:. For the most part everyone was supportive of my discision and who ever wasn't who cares:p. You don't owe anyone one any explanation, this is for a healthier you and that is what matters. :cool: Tom

Clinical Research Program on Ghrelin ( Hunger Hormone)

Has anyone ever heard of this? The research center at the hospital where I am having surgery on 6/4/12, called and said my doctor gave them my name as a good candidate for this research program. They are researching how this hormone and insulin interact before WLS and after WLS. I will be staying 2 nites at research center before surgery for tests and then 2 weeks after surgery I will go back for 2 more nites. This is supposed to be something to do with a cure for diabetes...

I have heared about the relationship between WLS surgery and people not needing to take insulin or other type 2 diabetes medicines and it being a posable cure, I think it was on Fox's Sunday Houscalls. I know my daughtes diabetes went away after she had the RnY so it sounds as close to a cure as you can get, but I don't know if it works fopr everyone. :cool: Tom

Jane, my surg is 2 days after yours ... we're coming down to the wire ... I think all of your feelings & emotions are normal & I have them, too. We had a session last week where they went over the logistics of how things will go from the moment we arrive until we leave, the timing, what to expect, etc. I found this to further add to the anxiety & excitement but knowing makes me feel more at ease. For me the real fear is not knowing what to expect & when. Even if things don't go exactly as stated, that's okay everyone is different & they have done this so many times so I'm sure whatever deviation make occur is all for the best.

Deep breaths, pleasant thoughts & most of all, be good to yourself. ~~ Mary

I have heared about the relationship between WLS surgery and people not needing to take insulin or other type 2 diabetes medicines and it being a posable cure, I think it was on Fox's Sunday Houscalls. I know my daughtes diabetes went away after she had the RnY so it sounds as close to a cure as you can get, but I don't know if it works fopr everyone. :cool: Tom

I was a type 2 diabetic pre-surgery. I haven't had to have any medication for my diabetes since my surgery on 2/27/12 :) :) :)

Back