• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery in April

MamaBearOf4

I want to ask with the clear liquid diet after surgery what was some of the favorite things you all drank. I have drank pure water for over a year now. So I don't go into store beside to grocery shop for the house. But I don't go down through the drinks because I used to drink only coke. I gave that up in 2015 and started to drink gatorade and green tea. Then in 2017 the doctors told me I need to drink pure water. I have stuck to nothing other then water and eating food. So I really don't know what drinks there is out there with the protein in it. I will try any suggestions to figure out what I like better. I just want to be ready for when the day comes that way I have it here ready and I don't have to send my husband out for it because he will get anything not thinking straight.

This is such a great question. I just read a document I wrote after surgery & in it, I noted that all I was drinking/eating was bouillon & Jell-O. Of course, I was also drinking water. But some people here have mentioned a clear protein additive that you can put in water. What is the name of that? Does it have any taste to it? Mama Bear, I have mentioned this "super milk" my nutritionist gave me the recipe for. I remember using it during the soft/semi-liquid phase. But it seems to me that it could also be used during the liquid diet phase, if you like milk. I'm going to upload the recipe to my personal profile as soon as I figure out how to do it.

But what is the name of the clear protein powder? To anyone reading this, if you know it, please share.

my mom used to use it when she lost all her weight but I can not remember the name of it. And she had passed back in 2014 so I can't ask her. But she lost a lot of weight and they just did the skin graph. But she did it without the surgery. I wish I asked her before that way I would of known now.

I have my surgery in April also. I’d love to know about that clear liquid protein additive and the super milk! I start my pre-surgery diet on the 19th.

They have not set a date yet because of the classes and my therapist is wanting me to get all the information before having the phyc. eval. But my classes are set for the 26th of this month and april 4th. Then my therapist can have the other therapist do my phyc. eval. soon after. But the doctor said in April. And we are going to make it I have cleared the later part of april and the early of May. I am hoping to have it done before my sons birthday. Because I want to be here with him. Even if I can not eat I can still be here. He will understand.

Now I do know there are some clear protein drinks already made. But I have not checked them. I am about to get my husband to start buying some to have them ready but then I kind of want to wait with 4 boys it is hard to keep them out of my stuff. But I looked for the milkman stuff. The only place to get it is online. I looked in stores and there is none. Because I thought that was a cool trick. It is basically taking the milkman powder and adding it to the skim milk to power it up more. You get double the protein per cup. I liked that.

look up isopure. It is the clear protein powder but it is flavored. I don't remember which one my mom used before. I was younger and did not pay attention to much because I was running after my first 2 sons. But hey give you water a little flavor and still give you something you need. See if your doctor will allow it though. Some doctors are different

I found Isopure at GNC and an going to try a couple of flavors to see if I like them. Also Premium Protein has a clear flavor. It is tropical punch. I bought that too to try. Hope they taste good.
The girl at GNC said Sam’s club has a protein called H2O Protein. Going to give that a try next time I get up to Sam’s.
We’re going to make it through this!

You know BJ's is better. They have coupons at times and their prices drop at times too. The membership fee is only $50. I have seen the protien shakes in there. And they sell in bulk. They cut meats the way you want as well. It helps out alot. Even though I am having the surgery I am still the main cook in the house. So I still got to think about what to cook for them as well. But it is good for me because I am determined for this.

You know BJ's is better. They have coupons at times and their prices drop at times too. The membership fee is only $50. I have seen the protien shakes in there. And they sell in bulk. They cut meats the way you want as well. It helps out alot. Even though I am having the surgery I am still the main cook in the house. So I still got to think about what to cook for them as well. But it is good for me because I am determined for this.
We don’t have BJ’s in Colorado.

I live in Florida. I forgot about that. Where I used to live don't either. But Sam's is good up there. It is better then going to Walmart or somewhere else. Sorry about that.

I was looking at protein powders in the grocery store yesterday and noticed that they still have small amounts of sugar in them. I’m scared about this dumping syndrome.

It got for all of them in there. And it gives you a play by play for the diets. I look at the preop diet and I am doing most of them already. I could not believe how easy that was for me. with out thinking about it. It just takes some training. It is almost like the low carb high protein diet I was doing before. I have not drank soda since 2016. and I have not had juice or any other sweet drink since 2017. Man I thought I would have to change alot for this preop diet but I just have to do portion control and no drinking while I eat.

I start my pre-op diet and tomorrow. I did find 2 clear protein drinks to try.
Ready, set, go!
I live in Florida. I forgot about that. Where I used to live don't either. But Sam's is good up there. It is better then going to Walmart or somewhere else. Sorry about that.
No worries!

I have been doing research about the milkman thing but see I can not find it down here. I can find it on line but no where in stores. But I have compared it to other stuff. Great Value dry instant milk is the same thing. You just take a pack of it and mix it in with a skim milk and it doubles the protein that you get from just one glass of skim milk.

That is great. I have been trying to keep from drinking while eating. that is my hard time. And sipping water. I feel like I am so thirsty at times. I just don't know why. I keep bottles of cold water around at all times. When I leave I grab one. Or when I am just around the house I grab one. I have been looking for the clear liquids and the protein powders for the clear liquids here and still have not found them. I may have to order them online.

I didn't see your message about burning yourself because it's a profile post and wasn't posted to one of the forums. I'm sure that you know that pure aloe vera really really works. If you have a bad burn you might ask your doctor to prescribe some Silvadene. Some people I know swear by Desitin. And if you need help with the pain, this home remedy of putting a teaspoon of vinegar in a cup of water and then saturating a cloth with it, applied to the burn, actually works. And I wasn't told that by an old wife but rather by an actual doctor at an emergency room after I was burned.

Great Value dry instant milk is the same thing.

You're right that you get the same protein grams. But I guess I must have failed to mention that the reason Milkman specifically was recommended is because it tastes so much better. Often times people will not consume food that doesn't taste good to them and they'll go for the other stuff that tastes really good and is very bad for them. Milkman is just awesome. And the texture is more granular and fine, so it mixes in with the nonfat milk without lumping.

Milkman is only available online at eBay, Amazon and at Milkman's own website, Best Milkman Instant Powdered Milk | Marron Foods Instant Low Fat Dry Milk. It's the same price in all three places--approximately $24 for 12 packets-- but at Milkmanmilk.com the shipping is free. So you don't have to go to a grocery store looking for it. It comes to you whenever you want it.

Back