• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery is November 1st............

You will get it done, this is for making your liver to be more floppy so it can be pulled out of the way during the surgery(less fatty) so know you should do it and you will get it done. They all(most of them at least) have had to do it and you will do it too, hard as it is. Should not be fasting really but Protein drinks for two meals and small meal either lunch or dinner. Is that what you are doing or is your program having you do something else?

Hi Denise,

With your date coming up very soon, have you started the Liver Diet, or do you need to? I had to do the liver diet for 2 weeks prior, protein shakes four times a day and clear liquids. Here are what I think were most important to do.
1. In the general forum is a thread call "Things I wish I'd known" Read the first one, it will help.
2. Follow your Doctors instructions on pre-op diet and fasting.
3. If you have any concerns or questions, write them down and then call the doctors office and ask. Never be afraid to ask.
4. Peruse some of the threads here, you'll get an insight to what others have gone through. It's different for each of us, though more to the degree rather than the experience itself. We all felt pain, some more that others, that sort of thing.
5. What helped me focus during the pre-op Liver Diet and post-op recovery so far, is that I have a picture of my 5 year old grandson and I at his graduation picture in another 13 years. Find your motivation and use it like a club to push back during the times doubt or despair kick in.

Hope this helps.

Hello, you will do great, you are doing the hardest part, after your surgery you won't be hungry or if you are you fill up fast, good luck with your surgery, remember after your surgery the more you move the better you will feel....;);)

thank u so much. my doctor told me to eat lite the night before nothing about a liver diet.i have not been eating a lot anyway nervous, plus doesn't hurt to get started now.i stoped drinking soda pop a long time ago,i drink a lot of water and tea, but can not wait to have it doneso i can breath better. again thank u;)

thank u so much. my doctor told me to eat lite the night before nothing about a liver diet.i have not been eating a lot anyway nervous, plus doesn't hurt to get started now.i stoped drinking soda pop a long time ago,i drink a lot of water and tea, but can not wait to have it doneso i can breath better. again thank u;)

Your done now so how are you doing? KNow you must not be on the computer yet but when you are, let us know how you are doing!!!!

Hey, Denise,

I'm so glad to see you. Looks like you're doing well.

Are you scoping out clothes yet? lol

not yet this is just the second day home but so far i don't feel so bad, i haven't had to take any pain med since i came home i just take a baby asperin so i will keep u up dated going to try a shake tonight, better half got me a blender so that will help me out a lot as well. how are u doing?

not yet this is just the second day home but so far i don't feel so bad, i haven't had to take any pain med since i came home i just take a baby asperin so i will keep u up dated going to try a shake tonight, better half got me a blender so that will help me out a lot as well. how are u doing?

Aaack!!! Aspirin and other NSAIDS are generally OFF LIMITS to bariatric patients. Did your surgeon okay aspirin? If not, please STOP taking it until you talk to her/him. If you need anything for pain, take what was prescribed by your surgeon.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you have any doubts, please call the office NOW. There should be someone available to speak to you in an emergency. If you are taking aspirin without your surgeon's okay, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY.

Be safe, Denise.

Hi Denise, Congrats on getting through surgery. I cannot agree more with Qaterra, do not take any medication without clearing it first, especially this early. The other question I have is should you be drinking shakes already. My first week post-op was clear liquids only. Your doctor may have given you different instructions, so check them. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Denise-I am happy to hear you are doing so well but please stop taking baby aspirin. You are not supposed to have aspirin in any way, shape or form after gastric bypass for the rest of your life. Absolutely no NSAID's of any type can be taken, ever. Make sure to tell all doctor's and all pharmacies you use to add this to your records so that they will make sure you are never prescribed anything with NSAID's in them. The reason you can't have these things anymore is that they will cause ulcers in your pouch and / or intestines and in a very short time. This was stressed so much pre-op that I'm surprised you weren't aware of it. At least you know now at this early stage. You should only be using tylenol or a generic equivelant but you need to check with the surgeon when you can safely start taking this.

Maybe she had Lapband and possibly, I do not know, maybe Lapband patients can have aspirin since the only things is that they have the band but no rearrangement of intestines.

yes my surgen did say to take a baby asprin, other wise i wouldn't take it, as far as pain med's haven't had to use it i don't feel that bad at all and i am the winnie of the family lol. i am following what my doctor told me to do and i am doing good.i drink my water and i went out for a walk today, it really felt good to get out of the house.i guess that is the difference in doctor's, i am not sure, all the same i am doing what i was told to do, even by the dietion.

Denise-Are you taking any other meds (pills or injections) to prevent post surgical blood clots? I'm thinking the baby aspirin is being used in place of a blood thinner. I'm just curious because of all of the warnings most of us have been given about not being able to have aspirin after gastric bypass.

that is why i am takeing it along with prilocec, so that it doesn't hur the new tummy. i am just doing what i am told to do by my doctor and i have all the faith in my doctor. in fact he took a lot of fat off on the inside that would have been bad later if he didn't do it.

Denise, That is fine. We were concerned because of the warnings we received, but if your surgeon said to take it, then there is no issue. Great to hear that all is going fine.

that is why i am takeing it along with prilocec, so that it doesn't hur the new tummy. i am just doing what i am told to do by my doctor . . .

Hi, Denise,

Taking aspirin, even baby aspirin, is something I've always been told is an absolute no-no for wls patients. So, when you said you were taking aspirin, I was concerned and worried and afraid for you.

Of course, you are doing the right thing by following your surgeon's instructions. I would expect nothing else.

Please don't be upset with me/us. We are/were just looking out for you.

Back