• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Thursday got a question

donnayork

I know everyone is different on how they lose but I have been on my pre opp diet for the two weeks and I haven't cheated not once. But I've only lost 10 lbs. is this ok?? I have seen people post a 20 lb loss. I'm scared it won't be enough. I'm so ready to have my surgery an start my new life. Please tell me I'm ok.

I am sure its going to depend on the Dr. I know my surgeon is gonna be very stricked about me losing 30lbs before surgery. He did say that he won't do it if I haven't lost at least 30. But on the other hand I have heard of people not losing any, and having the surgery with no problem. How many calories are you eating? Be sure to be getting enough protein and as little carbs as possible. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for the last two weeks. I lost 13lbs the first week, and today was my 2nd weigh in.. I lost 4lbs.. :confused: Also I am "acting" like I have had surgery, and not drinking water with my meals.. eating VERY SLOW (30mins at least per meal... 30 chews per bite) and I have started taking vitamins. Hope fully this helps...

I'm on nothing but liquids. No more than 800 cals a day been on it since the 28th. I haven't even done the 800 more like 600 cals a day.

Wow, 800? That has to be hard. Your surgery is scheduled for this week? How exciting! I don't even have my date yet! Hoping in April. Let me know how everything goes! Good Luck to you!

800 cal's a day is brutal before surgery. I was on 1500 cal's before and 1100 cal's after surgery but I can only manage 800 cal's a day post op. !0lbs in two weeks is impressive and nothing to sneeze at. In fact some people including myself would say its a bit too fast. It took me three months to lose 30 lbs. I plateaued there and hovered for two months before surgery. I would say you are doing fine, But it is easy to get obsessive about weight loss don't make yourself crazy.

hi DonnaYork I agree with the other's PROTEIN is the key to weight loss, and with so little calories your body feels like it's been starved, and it goes into :starvation mode" I was told this by others and I believe it. I know from my own experience if I don't get enough protein in there I don't loose any weight. hang in there you are about to embark on the best journey of your life. Please come back to the forum and let us know how you are doing. Donna (bigtallsis)

I am on 700 calorie a day high protein shakes for 2 weeks. With my active job, it is pretty rough. I am losing about a pound a day. The doctor did give me 4 meal cards to use during the two weeks but I am trying not to use them. I am drinking a ton of water. I look foward to getting this done and starting my new life.

I agree protein is the key, especially when you are eating very low calories. I am almost 7 weeks out now, and still only have 400-500 calories per day. It's not that I feel full early, because I don't, but I try very hard to follow my Center's recommendations and eating guidelines, and this is what I end up with. I have a protein shake every morning, just to give me that boost in protein grams so I know that I will reach my goal at the end of the day. I was fortunate, I did not have to do a pre-op diet.
Donna, I pray everything went well. Please let us know how you did.

I'm too late to respond to Donnayork's question before her surgery but I still want to reply because it will help others who may read this. There is a reason why you are put on 800 calories per day. Anything less than that will trigger your body to put itself into a starvation mode which practically shuts down your metabolism to protect your organs and muscles from wasting away. People who consume less than 800 calories can actually gain weight after a certain time period because your metabolism will store every single calorie as fat in order to protect you from starving. This happens only temporarily though and eventually you start to lose weight again but it's weight loss of muscles and organs and will make you very, very sick. Please do not eat less than the 800 calories you are prescribed. Besides making you very sick it can cause your surgery to be postponed.

DonnaYork, you are OK.....one day at a time....I had 2 hard weeks post op, and was NOT the poster child for RNY...however it has been 5 weeks post op and I am soaring high.....it gets better...I say 1 percent every day for me...good luck to you...keep us informed....Rin

Hello Pat, I have seen a lot of your posts, and they are full of really good advice...Are you a nurse? just wondered....keep helping us with good information...some of us need it more than others...thank you...

Hello Pat, I have seen a lot of your posts, and they are full of really good advice...Are you a nurse? just wondered....keep helping us with good information...some of us need it more than others...thank you...

Rin-No I am not a nurse. I spent over 6 years doing research before I had my surgery. During that timeframe I became very knowledgable about bariatric surgery. I had many consults with surgeon's and nutritionist's over the years and asked a lot of questions. I continue to consult with my bariatric surgeon, nutritionist and 2 other surgeon's that I have used in the past anytime I have a question so I am still learning new things. I am happy that I found this forum because the people here helped me when I needed it and I was able to help others as well.

Feel free to ask and answer questions or just come here to vent if that is what you need to do.

I also didn't have to follow a pre surgery diet plan. Justclear liquids 3 days before. You have a great start going for post surgery. I am one week out and doing awesome. It was a bit rough the first 5 or so days. I wish I would have known I was actually training to be on survivor :) ..... you should have an awesome start on those days following surgery. Good luck and best wishes, let us know how it goes

Back