• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery tomorrow morning!!

margo0119

It has been a long wait but it is finally here. I am not nervous at all just very excited!! Any tips are appreciated. Tomorrow is the first day of my new life!!

Margaret

Hi Margret, I didn't have the Band but all I can say is make sure to do what the doctor has told you to do to prep your self for surgery, and make sure you have plenty of support people with you when you go in for surgery, Congratulations my thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

Good Luck! I'm excited for you!
Tom, You mentioned plenty of support peoople with you when you have surgery. Why? I don't have anyone. I'm taking a cab to the hospital and a cab home. What difference does it make? Just curious.
Melissa

It is just so nice to have a familliar face to look at when you wake up from surgery, and if you are still a little out of it and need some help with something you dont have to push the button and wait 20 minutes for the nurse to come in and help you, support people aren't mandatory but they sure are nice, so if you have a close friend or familly member who could be there you may find that comforting thats all. :cool: Tom

Oh. Well, I don't have anyone that can come with me. I'm divorced. My son (18 years old) has died 3 years ago. My daughter (27 yrs old)is in college and has a 3 year son and works a fulltime job. My best friend is dying from a very rare bone marrow disease and can't help. I have co-worker friends, but 2 of us can't take off at the same time. So I guess that I will have to wait the 20 mins if I need anything! :D Its no big deal to me. I am very self sufficient.

Wow, sorry to hear about your son, you must be proud of your daughter who is going to college and working while raising a son, that is very difficult you must be a strong woman to raise such an in indapenant and det6ermined daughter. You will do fine and if the nurse takes any longer than a minute just keep pushing the button. LOL I am sure you will be around a long time to watch yyou granchildren grow. :cool: Tom

Margaret,

Wishing you the very best with your lapband surgery. I love mine and although the weight loss is slower than with other surgeries, it has been wonderful. When they asked me about my support system they knew many of my family members were out of town, but said "well a phone call is a kind of support". They all called before I got to leave the hospital. I never had to wait 20 minutes for anything. Fortunately, my son was available and spent a good deal of time with me before , and after my surgery. Hope your daughter and co workers call frequently. You sound quite ready. Joy

LOL Joy!
I knew what you meant! Thanks a bunch. My co-workers are a great support at work and by phone! I've gotten everyone to stop drinking diet cokes b/c I had too! LOL and then they will do the protien shakes with me after surgery! They have been awesome! My boss has given me all the time off for the 6 months of doctor's visits without docking my pay!! So I just don't have anyone to go the hospital with me. But I don't really care about that. I will be fine.
Melissa

Margo-I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Make sure you let us know how you are doing. Make sure to get up out of that bed and walk every little while, it will help you feel better and make you stronger. Use your pain pump when you need it, that's what it's there for :) :) :)

Melissa-I am a widow and don't have any kids. One of my neices dropped me off at the hospotal the morning of surgery then came back to visit later that night for a few minutes. I was out of it anyway so I didn't really know the difference. Other than that I had no visitors but one of the people here in the forum, Feastorfamine (Patti), called me every day which really helped. I remember talking to her when my IV machine kept beeping and beeping. She is a retired nurse so she knew there was an issue with the machine and didn't want me to get dehydrated or run out of pain meds. She stayed on the ewith me until they figured out the problem. My vein had collapsed and the IV needle had to be moved to the other arm.

You sound like a strong independant person and you will do just fine before and after your surgery. If you have a computer to take to the hospital you can always log into the forum for company :) :) :)

I don't have a laptop, gave it to my daughter. (it was my son's actually) but I have an iphone and internet on it. So I'm going to be fine. give me my phone, a book and tv, and I"m good to go!! LOL Thanks!!!

Congrats Margo...Tomorrow is the easy part...you show up, you go to sleep...they do the rest...Your job and commitment starts when you wake up! Good luck to you and look forward to hearing about your experience after you're back home!

Jules

Hi Marge, What kind of foods are you allowed to have? I have heard you can start regular foods much sooner with the Band. Time should pass quickly. :cool: Tom

Back