• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery update

Kcuster83

Well I did it. Surgery was yesterday and last night was horrible.
My hernia ended being massively larger than it looked it the scope and scans so between fixing that and the bypass my surgery took 5 hours. I was lucky [sarcasm] enough to get a double dose of gas so they could access the hernia better. Surgery went well, no pain at incisions or in my belly but this gas pain is crippling me. Walked to the bathroom last night and the pain got so bad they gave me IV pain meds on the toilet so I could get back to bed. Me second trip to the bathroom was painful but bearable so I followed that with my first walk thru the hallways. Then that gas pain hit my shoulder blade area so I got oral meds to help it. I have no problem drinking, I am getting in 4 ounces an hour which was what I have to get in per my surgeon. Doesn't hurt to drink water but I took a small sip of melted Italian ice they gave me and it was gross but it was lemon which I really don't prefer even before surgery.
If the pain can get manged with oral meds, if not I stay another night. Already met all the other requirements to get discharged. The pain is the last thing.

I thinks that's it for now.

Great to hear from you. I'm sorry it's been so painful but it's really good that you're able to get your fluids and walking in. The pain is usually faster to ease than having problems getting your liquids in. I hope that they can get the pain under control quickly and you can get home to the comfort of your own space. Welcome to the other side!!

Update: pain is barely managed with meds. My surgeon stopped by and decided to keep me an extra day to be monitored. He said my surgery was much more extensive than originally planned so he thinks I should hang out another day. He explained it as 3 surgeries in 1. Definitely learned to slow down on the drinking after a 2 hour belly ache but I got that under control now. Had a few sips of broth before that got cold and gross. My surgeon said the pain in my chest is likely the actual surgery because he has to go pretty far up the chest cavity for the hernia and repair the damage to my esophagus caused by years of GERD. But assured me the back and shoulder pain was gas. I walked about 6 laps today around the halls. The first few times the pain got rough but after that it got better each time. I hope he let's me go home today. I guess that's its for now.
Again, thanks for all of the support.

Update: pain is barely managed with meds. My surgeon stopped by and decided to keep me an extra day to be monitored. He said my surgery was much more extensive than originally planned so he thinks I should hang out another day. He explained it as 3 surgeries in 1. Definitely learned to slow down on the drinking after a 2 hour belly ache but I got that under control now. Had a few sips of broth before that got cold and gross. My surgeon said the pain in my chest is likely the actual surgery because he has to go pretty far up the chest cavity for the hernia and repair the damage to my esophagus caused by years of GERD. But assured me the back and shoulder pain was gas. I walked about 6 laps today around the halls. The first few times the pain got rough but after that it got better each time. I hope he let's me go home today. I guess that's its for now.

May each day get better and better. I hope you were able to be discharged.

So sorry you're dealing with all the pain! I had a hiatal hernia repair as well and I feel like that really slowed my progress down. It's good to hear that you aren't having any trouble swallowing. I struggled with things wanting to come right back up for about 2.5 weeks. Doesn't sound like you will have that hurdle to get over. The gas pain will get better after about a week (at least it did for me), or hopefully sooner for you. Once you get home, you'll feel better just being in your own environment. Best of luck moving forward. Looking forward to hearing more updates;)

Aww, KC. I'm sorry to hear that your pain meds aren't working very well. I hope you are asking for better pain management. It can be hard to remember to advocate for yourself when it takes all your focus to get through the pain to walk, drink, even pee lol You will be more comfortable at home but with all the repairs, it sounds like you'll be in pain for a while. So, make sure they send you home with the good stuff.

On the bright side, you got a lot of improvements in one fell swoop! Esophagus damage can be very painful so it's nice that you won't have to deal with that any longer. I hope you feel better soon.

It's been a while for me to stop by. I'm great! Once that gas pain subsided it was so much better.
Haven't has pain meds or even Tylenol since Wednesday.
I am still struggling to hit fluid and protein goals but better each day and very close. Yesterday was 43 g protein and about 40 oz fluids.
Everything I have tried I have been fine with as far as my new belly handling it.
Zero nausea since surgery.
My chest is still tight but the surgeon said it would take a while to feel normal because of the extensive repair.
Been walking but still get tired quick.
Otherwise, I think I am doing great for being 1 week out!
Can't wait to see what the future holds for me.
Ps! Lost 11 lbs since surgery and 48 lbs total!!

Back